Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2015 Rubicon Unlimited. The jeep has 25k miles on it, and the only difference in drivetrain from stock is a set of 285/70/17 toyo open country at2s.
When driving on back roads, every time I hit a dip in the road I get a lot of body roll/bounce/sway from left to right. Note that my steering wheel stays straight and doesn't react to the suspension movement. Also when I have the hard top removed, it handles a little better. In any of my other vehicles when I hit the same bump, the vehicle dips down following the road, then comes back up and on we go. The jeep dips down, comes back up, bounces back to the right, back left, and repeat in smaller movements until back to normal.

What is the cause of this excessive sway? Is the stock suspension too soft?

I have tried multiple air pressure settings and this bounce remains.

I am looking to lift the jeep to run 35s, but want to make the jeep more planted at the same time.

Thanks in advance for your help, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Have you checked your swaybar links? Are they intact/connected? I had a bolt on my front passenger side that came off (broke?) and had some roll before I got a new one put in.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Definitely check suspension components if you think something is amiss. Comparing your Jeep's handling to other vehicles, is most likely going to cause you fits. You may just need to get used to the fact that they don't handle like other "cars", especially high speed pavement, when adding bumps and cornering. I'll let someone else chime in on the lifts.

Just this weekend, I had the yellow TC light come on, my completely stock Rubicon. While traveling down the highway, no rain, it's been in the 90s. This was the first time, but I was going about 70mph around a corner and over a bridge expansion joint. Normally I wouldn't be traveling that fast, but the urban critter behind me was making it clear he wanted travel triple digit speeds. I'll add that to my list of reasons to stay out of downtown.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would suspect the previous owner/s had modified the Rubicon.. and when trading it in Installed factory components but never readjusted anything back to it's original form. Buying a used wrangler today is a crap shoot.. cause one never knows what it's been through, Unless the previous owner/s has records of the installations etc.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a new Rubicon that I hated the mushy ride. Swaying back and forth.
Nose diving when braking, nose life when accelerating.

Installed new aftermarket shocks and problem solved. I went with Falcon 3.3.
Love em. Not saying you have to go that route but do some research and pick a set you are comfortable with. Speaking from my experience thats what you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts