Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just bought a 2015 wrangler jk and there is a rattle/clunk coming from the drivers side front wheel area. I can't find it and the dealer tells me they can't replicate the sound (even after riding with a tech who confirmed he heard it) I have installed rugged ridge mud flaps and rock hard 4x4 tube sliders so far, but the sound has been there since new. I have torqued and retorqued the suspension and wheels. Im at a bit of a loss right now so any help is great appreciated. Sounds to me like it's definitely coming from drivers side wheel well. Im afraid im going to get death wobble or uneven tire wear.. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Is the tie rod and drag link properly torqued?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Top of shock is good. Tightened twice. Haven't messed with the tie rod or drag link. Jeep only has 2000 miles on it, think they could have come loose?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check the passengerside exhaust where it passes over the crossmember. After a wheeling session I developed a rattle under load and it took forever to finally find it. I must have bent the crossmember slightly and the clearance is very small.

I pryed the exhaust up and tightened the flange bolts to cure it. Makes me want to get more skid plates.

·
Registered
293 Posts
With 2,000 miles and a brand new JK I would be very upset if a tech heard the noise and couldn't pinpoint it. Something is obviously loose and they should jack it up and start checking everything. Sadly some dealers are just horrible.

That being said if you cant get results from them then find another dealer that will take responsibility and figure it out for you. Otherwise jack up the front end an start prying around. Jack up so the tires are a couple inches off the ground and put a bar under there. Pry up quickly and listen and look. There should be no play anywhere on a 15 JK with 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a very similar issue with my 08. Sadly I finally gave up asking because they had absolutely no clue. The one thing they did find was that the the steering shaft assembly under the hood was stupid loose so that was a plus to get fixed. However they never determined the cause, frustrating as heck. Just lived with a rattle. Sounded like something other than simple loose plastic stuff. Coincidentally, I did replace the stock shocks after a while with some Rancho 9000s. Haven't heard the noise in quite some time, so could have been the shocks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem... The source was the loose brake pedal. Been to two service shops and both say it's 'normal'. I believe that to be BS, so I'll try a 3rd.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine was a heat shield right under the driver pedals, on the outside of the cab. It is a corrugated aluminum heat shield. It attaches with some push type fasteners and mine were lose. After tightening them with my fingers, the noise went away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts