Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am sure this has been discussed dozens of times, but can you please recommend the best way to secure my spare? I've seen Bold lock but that looks too long. Will it protrude past the tire cover? What about a simple wheel bolt that uses a special adapter to open (similar to the ones found on fancy wheels)? I was not able to find one. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hello, I am sure this has been discussed dozens of times, but can you please recommend the best way to secure my spare? I've seen Bold lock but that looks too long. Will it protrude past the tire cover? What about a simple wheel bolt that uses a special adapter to open (similar to the ones found on fancy wheels)? I was not able to find one. Thanks.
If you have the base Sport with the 16" steel wheels, the Bolt Lock is not recommended. It is designed for Wrangler stock alloy wheels so that the lug nut is recessed into the lug nut well, then the lock basically covers that lug. The only way to remove lug nuts in a recessed well is with a socket or tire iron. The stock steel wheels do not have recessed lug wells, so a person would be able to get an open wrench on the lug and remove the whole assembly.

As for the Bolt Lock sticking out too far, most wheel faces are recessed enough where the lock actually doesn't protrude too far from the tire sidewall, as you can see in this photo.

Now, if you have the Sport S, it comes with alloy wheels, and the Bolt Lock would work for you.

If you decide to go with aftermarket alloy wheels, make sure the lug nut well dimensions are within the specs listed on the Bolt website.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Due to a lot of thefts in my area, I use the Bolt lock, Mcgard locking lug, and a cable lock. If a thief gets by those, then kudos for his/her determination.

I have Rubicon wheels, and the bolt lock sticks out a little but it doesn't bother me.

ForumRunner_20150313_095102.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts