Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got a call from a salesman that I like to work with a few months back (I want to say it was March 27th) telling me that Jeep may stop taking orders for new Wranglers effective on that day. Knowing that I was kicking around the idea of ordering a striped down 2dr. Rubicon in Tank he wanted to give me a heads up. I have not really been keeping up with whats going on with 2015 EoP etc etc but it sounds like this deadline may have eventually been extended.

Anyhow I went ahead and jumped on the opportunity that day and put in an order for a 2 door Rubicon in Tank with pretty minimal options -

Half Doors
Manual Trans
Tinted Windows
And I HAD to check out the new audio system upgrade

This being my 3rd Wrangler in as many years I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to end up with. I started my Jeeping out in a 2012 2dr Gecko Rubicon and always wondered if I shouldn't have gone with a JKU for the extra room. Last summer I ended up grabbing a totally loaded black JKU Rubicon X and while it is an awesome Jeep its just a little to polished for what I wanted to subject it to and I was always terrified of destroying it. I wanted to leave my top off and not worry about the rain ... the nav and the leather getting ruined and I really came to miss that 2dr look.

Just over a month after placing my order I took delivery on June 4th. I really gotta hand it to Jeep for kicking ass and building stuff so quickly. I am very impressed! I drove it straight home and yanked the carpet immediately and took off all of the windows and doors for a long business trip the following day to Jackson Michigan which is a little over an hour away from where I live. About 20 minutes after my meeting ended it started raining and I mean HARD ... It couldn't have rained any harder and it did so for the next 4 hours as I drove from Jackson to West Bloomfield to Warren and finally back to where I live. Well I got to test out my new Jeep's interior under some nasty rain conditions with nothing more than the soft top to cover me. I am happy to report that I had zero issues with the electronics getting wet, the new weatherproof sub woofer worked great and sounds MUCH better than the old version I had in my previous 2 Jeeps. When I say that I needed wipers on the inside of my windshield I'm not kidding! Everything was drenched including me.

So the real reason I'm telling this story is because I was driving all this way for a very specific purpose. I had to pick up a deposit check from my dealer and deliver it to ACE Engineering and Fabrication over in Warren to get some parts ordered up. You see I had been talking to them about adding a few small things to my new JK to extend my off-road capabilities a little. I barely made it in time before they closed, driving in such dangerous conditions soaking wet head to toe and deposit check in hand. More on the mods in a bit. For now here are some before shots of the Jeep.

So tonight I just got my Jeep back from the guys over at ACE and I am super pumped to say the least! I really have to hand it to everyone there that helped to make this happen for me. A special thanks to Adam, Chad and everyone else at ACE!

Unfortunately I didnt get a chance to snap very many photos before it got dark out tonight and most of them did not turn out very well so I will be posting some more shots later. For new here are a few shots of some of the work ACE did for me. Ill post a complete list of everything that was done at the bottom.

Like I said above, the shots I took at night are pretty rough but here are a few anyway ...

Build List
ACE Pro Series Front Bumper with Stinger and Double Row 20" LED Light Bar
ACE Pro Series Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier with 7.5" LED Light Bars
ACE Weld On Rock Sliders (I ditched the factory rubicon rock rails if anyone is interested in them)
Teraflex 4" 8 Arm Adjustable Lift
MAXXIS 37x12.5x17 Trepador Bias Ply Tires (New blue label comound)
Hutchinson 17" Beadlock Wheels (Black)
Front Axle Sleeves
ACE JK "C" Gussets
ACE JK Control Arm Gussets
ACE Front Control Arm Skids
4:88 Ratio Gears

Misc - Wheel Spacers, Ball Joints, Superchips Flashcal, New Drive Shafts, Black Lug Nuts, and one BIG smile driving this thing home tonight! :thumb:

Next on the list will be a winch, more lighting, SPOD, maybe an ARB twin compressor ... 40s when I wear out the 37s?

·
Registered
133 Posts
That looks great! I'll be a fellow Tanker come next week!!

What rock sliders did you go with? They look great! Edit: Hah missed that part of the post. They're weld-on and not a bolt on? I was looking at ACE sliders too but the ones I seen were bolt on.

And if you wanna make some room in the garage you can donate me your Rubicon take-off rims and tires :drinks: :bop: hehehehe

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Met the ACE guys at a jeep jamb. Great guys. One drove the jku they brought topless and it rained a lot that day.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Congrats, really like the build & look you went for. My next one will probably also be a 2 door as well.

By any chance, would you know the actual size & weight of those 37" Maxxis puppies?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks great! I'll be a fellow Tanker come next week!!

What rock sliders did you go with? They look great! Edit: Hah missed that part of the post. They're weld-on and not a bolt on? I was looking at ACE sliders too but the ones I seen were bolt on.

And if you wanna make some room in the garage you can donate me your Rubicon take-off rims and tires :drinks: :bop: hehehehe
ACE offers both bolt on and weld on versions along with a builders kit which is just a bunch of pieces in case you want to do something custom. Take a look at the 2nd row on this link for the weld on ones. Rock Sliders

The bolt on units will work with factory Rubicon rock sliders because they stick out almost parallel to the ground where the weld on is a way more aggressive angle and you have to remove the Rubicon rails if you have them.

Regarding take offs ... I will be selling EVERYTHING that came off of this Jeep with the exception of the tires (my dad took over my Rubicon X and he wants them). I will be creating a listing for all the parts I'm selling in the appropriate section when I have some more time over the weekend.

Off the top of my head I have the following available if anyone is interested please send me a PM to discuss prices etc. Everything has exactly 2,700 miles of use on it with the exception of the carpet which was removed on day one.

Full carpet for a 2 door, its brand new and was removed at 32 miles on the vehicle.
5 Rubicon wheels
Rubicon suspension with springs shocks and control arms and anything else they would have removed when installing my Teraflex 8 arm kit
Stock front and rear bumpers with tow hooks and all applicable skid plate/splash guards
2 2dr Rubicon rock rails
Factory 4:10 gears
Factory spare tire carrier with high mount stoplight and wire harness

I will be deleting the wheel flares shortly and they will also be available.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats, really like the build & look you went for. My next one will probably also be a 2 door as well.

By any chance, would you know the actual size & weight of those 37" Maxxis puppies?

Thanks!
Let me see if I can dig it up but I'm pretty sure I read they were around 100lbs mounted up in an article a while back but that may have been for the yellow label tires. I do some looking around tonight.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Jay,

Thanks for trusting us with your brand new baby! And thanks so much for putting up this post with all of the build details, we really appreciate it.

ACE

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Stock Rubi rails....

Really nice work on the 2 door Tank.

I have ACE bolt on 2 door sliders,the stock Rubi rails would be nice to fill in that space....and since I don't see your add in the classifieds yet...how much are you asking for the stock Rubi rails...PM me.

Bill.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really nice work on the 2 door Tank.

I have ACE bolt on 2 door sliders,the stock Rubi rails would be nice to fill in that space....and since I don't see your add in the classifieds yet...how much are you asking for the stock Rubi rails...PM me.

Bill.
Hey thanks Bill, I sent you a PM by the way.

Ohhhhh! Puuuurdy. I'm in love! Don't tell my jeep though. Grrr now I want 37s! You did good, amazing looking jeep!!
Thanks I spent a good 3 years to agonizing over what I wanted to do LOL.

Nice ride! Did ya need the spacers for clearance issues or just wanted a wider stance?
Thats a great question and to be honest with you I'm not really sure of the answer. I would guess that they did it for clearance issues since I did not request them but I will contact the guys at ACE on Monday and find out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I put the doors and top back on my Jeep last night and went up to the DiY carwash around 3am for a late night bath. I swear to god it WAS clean ...

I took it out for the first time today at the Mounds ORV park and I had Dad riding shotgun with me. We took off the doors and folded the top down before heading out. Lets just say that the old man didn't do the best job keeping mud out of his side of the vehicle ... not that I really did any better myself. Everything performed awesome today though. I had ZERO issues and never even came close to getting stuck. I didn't go too crazy and I wasnt really doing any extreme rock crawling. I did have to yank some highschool kids in a suburban with street tires out of a nasty mud hole though. So I got to test out my new D rings and tow strap. The rescue mission was a success and we had a blast getting this thing filthy. I can't wait to go out and do it all again tomorrow!

A few pics ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
have the same rear Bumper with tire carrier and rock rails from Ace.... absolutely love their product and love their customer service !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts