Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! New to the forum and Jeep community. This forum has been a great help, but unfortunately I have scoured the site for the answer to my question and can't quite seem to find the exact answer. Please help!

I have a 2015 JKU Sport and recently swapped my tires and rims with a set of 2015 Rubicon take-offs. The new tires still have the TPMS sensors in them, but of course I am getting the TPMS light on my dash. I have driven about 300+ miles in both highway and street conditions. Took the car to Discount tire to see if they could help out, but they said their reprogrammer isn't able to do 2015 Jeeps yet. My original understanding was that I could just drive for a bit and the tires would sync themselves, but now I am being told that they need a wireless device to "relearn" them. Any info would help! I would like to avoid the dealership as much as possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
They're supposed to sync. on their own. What pressure are you running. Your door placard probably indicates 35. I don't know if there would be a difference as far as a "relearn" if one vehicle was set up as a result of having the "connectivity group", which would indicate individual tire pressures, and one wasn't. What you can try doing in the meantime is see if a battery disconnect for a few minutes (positive cable) will take care of it by essentially making the system do a re-set.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My son bought a set of 2015 18" Sahara wheels and tires for his 2015 JK Sport. The seller said the TPMS's were in place. Long story short, he lied. Bought a set of five TPMS's on Amazon for $48; installed for $40 and, magically, drove 1/2 mile and the psi measurement comes up on the dash. Sounds like you are in the same boat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response guys. I'm starting to think that there aren't any TPMS sensors installed. The guy said they were, but he had just got a lift, and I'm assuming the shop took the sensors off his stock wheels and put them in his new 35s.. Unless that can't be done (clearly I don't know too much about these little things). When I picked up the wheels, they were pretty low on air... Like 18 psi or lower. I aired them up to 37 initially, drove around for a while.. even tried airing them up to 40.. but it did not work. Now I have them at 35 psi, which seems to give pretty good road handling.

My next question is there any way of knowing wether or not they are installed without breaking the bead?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guys. I'm starting to think that there aren't any TPMS sensors installed. The guy said they were, but he had just got a lift, and I'm assuming the shop took the sensors off his stock wheels and put them in his new 35s.. Unless that can't be done (clearly I don't know too much about these little things). When I picked up the wheels, they were pretty low on air... Like 18 psi or lower. I aired them up to 37 initially, drove around for a while.. even tried airing them up to 40.. but it did not work. Now I have them at 35 psi, which seems to give pretty good road handling.

My next question is there any way of knowing wether or not they are installed without breaking the bead?
Any good tire store like Town Fair Tire has a handheld tool that can scan the rim and see if the sensors are there and transmitting. They will usually do it for free.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
A tire shop should have the scan tool in order to determine if the sensors are in the wheels and if they're the correct frequency, without breaking them down. The original sensors could have been transferred. If you don't want to deal with TPMS get an AEV Procal and disable it. You can also set it with the Procal to run different pressures if you decide you want TPMS. If you keep the pressure as stated on the door jamb, you won't have to adjust it. Same as MacCTD said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Probably did not place sensors in your tires. Did you pay to have sensors installed from old tires to new or did shop not ask you ? Get with shop and see why not would be best place to start.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gentleman
Flying1236 simply does not have the sensors. He doesn't need to go anywhere to check it. He needs to get a set, get it installed and he is good to go. Like you never heard that somebody lied about the sensors to sell their wheels and tires. I apologize in advance if anyone is offended by my statements.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts