Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i bought a 2015 JK unlimited a few months back. About a week ago i wouldn't start and i had to get a jump. Had the same issue again today. i charged the battery all the way and tested it with a mulimeter at 13.1V. Still wouldn't start cant even get instrument cluster or headlights to come on. i started digging through the fuse box and noticed the ASD relay is chattering with no keys in the ignition. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Hopefully this doesn't sound like I'm talking down to you, but it's common for terminals to not get fully seated and tightened down all the way. I've done it before and the last guy that installed my battery did it too. Can create any number of gremlins.

IMO start with the basics and make sure they're fully seated on the posts. I like to use a large socket and gently tap them into place.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
While 13 volts is a good start it does not mean your battery is good. I would take it to my local auto parts supply and have it tested.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
get a new battery from walmart... think its group 34...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Or measure the battery voltage as you start it, the starting load test is really a better measure of battery health than a static voltage test. The system does weird things when the voltage is low. Also check that the terminals are tight (and make sure they’re clean).

If it’s the original battery odds are it’s toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
When checking he terminals, also make sure there's no accessory attached to the negative terminal. The nut is slightly conical and won't seat properly if someone ran a ground wire to it.

Still, my first thought is the battery. Timing is about right if it's the factory one. We have 2 2015s and I've replaced both.

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,569 Posts
Hey guys i bought a 2015 JK unlimited a few months back. About a week ago i wouldn't start and i had to get a jump. Had the same issue again today. i charged the battery all the way and tested it with a mulimeter at 13.1V. Still wouldn't start cant even get instrument cluster or headlights to come on. i started digging through the fuse box and noticed the ASD relay is chattering with no keys in the ignition. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?
Hi rihno899,
We're sorry to hear about your recent no start condition. I understand you're reaching out to your fellow forum members for guidance. However, should you decide to visit you dealer, please feel free to send our team a PM. We'd be happy to assist throughout that process.
Alex
Jeep Cares

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Or measure the battery voltage as you start it, the starting load test is really a better measure of battery health than a static voltage test. The system does weird things when the voltage is low. Also check that the terminals are tight (and make sure they’re clean).

If it’s the original battery odds are it’s toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do this. Also, the ASD relay shouldn't chatter when they key is off. You may have a parasitic draw on your hands.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had cars do all sorts of weird things (except start) when the battery was going bad. Hopefully OP takes the advice of everyone here and gets the battery checked. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Agreed with everyone on the battery. Just because it has 13.1 volt doesn't mean it has enough amperage to do the job. Clean and re-seat the terminals on the post, if no go, then pull the battery and have it confirmed at a local auto parts store. Confirm the basics first that way you can rule it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts