Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally when I'm coming from a stop or shifting out of first gear the jeep will stall and die. It usually doesn't respond to pressing in the clutch and giving it more gas. If I concentrate on giving it enough gas (anything above 1000 rpms) it never seems to happen. Is this most likely user error or should I take it in and have it looked at? There's about 50k miles on the odometer.

Other than the Colorado I owned for the previous 2 years, I've driven a manual most of my life.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'd probably take it in to get it checked and/or fixed.

I typically launch just above idle with a little jab of the gas (800RPM) with no stalling or sputtering . With the 3.73 gearing in the WW, you especially shouldn't be stalling either. Even if you let the clutch out slowly, the CAN/ECU should still apply additional gas automatically as a preventative measure.

Have the dealer take a look.

shoe

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Not normal. Sounds like an idle control issue. My guess is it's one of the sensors in the intake.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Make sure that your hill start assist is off; that wants to hold your brake for 2 seconds and can make you feel like a new stick driver when you take off from a stop.

I've been driving stick for about 30 years and when I first got the Jeep I couldn't believe how many times I stalled it till I learned about that setting.

It's great on steep trails, but a pain in normal driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's currently at the dealer having a prior rodent infestation investigated. A bunch of acorns were found scattered throughout. They think a critter may have chewed through a wire or two.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It's currently at the dealer having a prior rodent infestation investigated. A bunch of acorns were found scattered throughout. They think a critter may have chewed through a wire or two.
Maybe that'll cure your problem if they find something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They have ruled out it being a rodent and wire issue and now think it's a heat related issue.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Make sure that your hill start assist is off; that wants to hold your brake for 2 seconds and can make you feel like a new stick driver when you take off from a stop.

I've been driving stick for about 30 years and when I first got the Jeep I couldn't believe how many times I stalled it till I learned about that setting.

It's great on steep trails, but a pain in normal driving.
Feature works perfectly once you realize it's proportional to your foot pressure. The key is to only hold the brake enough to stop the jeep from rolling. You can even lift the brake a little right before depressing the clutch.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,257 Posts
Feature works perfectly once you realize it's proportional to your foot pressure. The key is to only hold the brake enough to stop the jeep from rolling. You can even lift the brake a little right before depressing the clutch.
Agree. It took me a while to get used to it but now I love it. I think this is probably a personal preference thing.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealer has determined that the culprit is the crankshaft position sensor and the part won't be there until Tuesday. ��*♂

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any update on the repair? I'm super curious as to how they determined the crank sensor was the issue.
Sorry for the late reply, but replacing the crankshaft sensor solved the problem. I'm not sure how the dealer determined that was the culprit though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts