Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(My apologies if this has been covered before but if so I cannot locate...) I just purchased a used 2015 Willys. Options listing show that it has the factory trailer package and while the receiver is installed I cannot locate the wiring harness. I have searched all underneath and even removed the left-rear tail light and do not see a pig-tail inserted like I see for aftermarket kits. Does the factory "hide" the harness somewhere or is it possible that even with the factory hitch it may not have come with the wiring harness?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Since it was purchased used, most likely the previous owner just installed the hitch. You can always plug your vin numbers in on the jeep site and see if it originally came with the towing package.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the VIN does decode out as factory trailer package and I suppose the previous owner might have removed it, but does the factory wiring harness also connect to the left-rear tail light like the aftermarket pig-tails do?

·
Registered
21,732 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the VIN does decode out as factory trailer package and I suppose the previous owner might have removed it, but does the factory wiring harness also connect to the left-rear tail light like the aftermarket pig-tails do?
Yes, the trailer hook up is tied into the left rear. The stock 4-pin is small.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help. Adding the pig-tail in looks to be about the easiest work I have done in a long time!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Un-freaking-believable! I received my trailer light pig-tail today and just installed it. While routing the cable and fastening it in place to the holes in the frame, I found one hole that had the snapped-off remnant of the old harness mount! I mean, come on, I am about as frugal as the next guy, but how cheap can you be to take the effort to remove a $25 wiring harness?!?!? Sheesh...

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
When I traded in my Sahara on the Chief, I dug up the goodies that came with the Sahara. It had the original owners guide (the manual you have to order, but it's free), the freedom top storage bag and the grab handles that had not been installed.

Some people remove anything that lightly fastened on.

BTW - if you go to Mopar.com and register and then register your Willys, you can download a .pdf copy of the owners manual (many copy to their portable device as well), and track your maintenance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads-up on the manual. I actually was able to get the pdf off the Internet before I purchased Willy and then after I bought him I found the original shrink-wrapped CD in the glovebox!

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
But the CD is not at all like the printed (or .pdf) manual. I found it totally useless. I expected an electronic version of the manual but it's a search and read item. It's been ove two years since I even looked at mine. I have not removed the shrink wrap on my 2017, I simply downloaded the manual.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not removed the shrink wrap either. Geezz, I would have assumed that it would contain the same pdf as I downloaded. But thanks for that information - I won't risk breaking a fingernail taking off the shrink wrap...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts