Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking around a lot on this, and feel it'd be nice to have a thread about them, since there's a vast variety of threads on the tombstone tweeters.

If you have a 2015 JK/JKU it has 4 speakers in the dash and 4 in the soundbar - unlike the 2014 and prior that had just one. If you ordered the Alpine premium sound package, yours has 3.5" speakers.

If you ordered without that package, yours has 2.5" speakers. As far as I can tell, they both have the same size hole and mounting position.

So here's what I've found so far:

There's a kicker kit (77kick25ab) that may or may not work - it looks to me like the sound bar might be a good place to try those, and I am very tempted to take the $65 bite for the team and see if they fit or not. If you look them up on ebay you can find the part number and then google that, and those were also used in 300 SRT8s and the like.

Which leads me to a point - it looks like the 2.5/3.5 speaker parts have been used in all sorts of Chrysler vehicles before, and the mounting bracket is fairly common. Therefore, you might be able to just use a generic adapter to stick a 1 or 2" dome tweeter in there, if you wish.

For example:
PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made

Or maybe we should just record the dimensions and make a 3d model so you can 3d print an adapter lol (iof course you'd need a 3d printer). I dunno. what do you guys think?

I'm tired of researching this stuff. *eyesburned out*

·
Registered
124 Posts
I too have a 2015 and in search of upgraded sound. As I have mentioned several times in this forum, the non-alpine users (such as myself) have really been left out in the cold in terms of audio quality. Germanbruno had an excellent idea on gutting the factory tweets and installing legit drivers inside. Hopefully my quote below works.

I don't have any additional pics of the actual install. Other than the tweeters in the dash and and sound bar (installed those the same way) everything is the same as the pre 2015's. There are plenty of write up you can find on that. The tweeters in the 2015 were really the only major change. As far as wiring I used a metra wiring harness and pacs steering wheel control inferface to maintain the steering wheel controls. I got these from crutchfield. I changed the headunit out for sony. The speakers were cheaper on sonicelectronix.

I kept the factory wiring ran the RCA cables from the speaker outputs from the head unit to the amps which I placed in the tailgate storage box. Then I ran the speaker outs from the amps back to the metra wiring harness where it connects into the vehicle wiring harness. It was a little quicker than striping out all the factory wiring and rewiring. I got the metra speaker adapters to keep the stock hook up for the speakers.

The biggest hassle was finding a good ground. I didn't want to drill into the body so I actually removed the tailgate latch scraped off the paint underneath and ran my ground under the carpet to that.

You do loose satelite radio by switching out the head unit. Since they come with a 1 year trial that includes sirius internet radio no bid deal I just hook my phone into the head unit.

I went with single DIN because it required no modification and I've been toying with the angry off road ipad dash mount which allows you to mount an ipad mini in the dash. Figure the ipad has more functionality then any double DIN radio.

Besides cutting out the old 2.5 speakers sonic electronix has another option using speaker straps that would work as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c290l33iF60

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya know what, I'm going to order a set of the 3.5 kickers. It dawned on me all this time I've been hesitating because I didn't want to end up with 2 odd speakers that didn't fit in my jeep.. but..

they're sold in a kit as an upgrade to my 300's stock speakers lol :D

So no loss.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rawr, I ordered a 77kick25ab package. Now to see whether it fits anywhere in the jeep or goes in the 300 lol :D

I should note there's an uber rare 1" kicker tweeter that uses that same bracket too.

http://d7fz7zn8l0fsa.cloudfront.net/kifr6x9sptw71.jpg

they came in the 77kick28 set and are impossible to find outside that set.

If all else fails I'll just order the alpine 3.5s, I guess. Either way, I think toying with replacing the little speakers will help improve sound quality.

·
Super Moderator
15,033 Posts
Rawr, I ordered a 77kick25ab package. Now to see whether it fits anywhere in the jeep or goes in the 300 lol :D

I should note there's an uber rare 1" kicker tweeter that uses that same bracket too.

http://d7fz7zn8l0fsa.cloudfront.net/kifr6x9sptw71.jpg

they came in the 77kick28 set and are impossible to find outside that set.

If all else fails I'll just order the alpine 3.5s, I guess. Either way, I think toying with replacing the little speakers will help improve sound quality.
Let us know how it goes... I've never been a big fan of the small kicker tweeters. I hope these do well.

This is also a tweeter in a 2015:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/new-component-tweeters-in-dash-on-2015-jk-1214057.html

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yar, I am also skeptical about the tiny little tweeter sitting on top of a 3.5 cone. We'll see how it goes! :)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Subscribed....I'd like to change all four of the 2.5 inch speakers. Hope these fit.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome news!!

My 77kick25 set arrived today and it fits in the dash! Plug and play drop in (although I admit I didn't think it'd fit, the ac vent tube means it just BARELY fits).

I'll have pictures in a little bit. The sound is muuuuuch better.

·
Super Moderator
15,033 Posts
Awesome news!!

My 77kick25 set arrived today and it fits in the dash! Plug and play drop in (although I admit I didn't think it'd fit, the ac vent tube means it just BARELY fits).

I'll have pictures in a little bit. The sound is muuuuuch better.
That's great news!

For those looking for this set, it looks like Morris carries it:

Fold Down Speakers (2) - 77KICK25

Definitely the way to liven up the base system...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

Ok, seriously now, pictures. First, the dash:

They fit in the dash. Barely. The depth means you have to push them in - I wouldn't say forcing it in, but it's a really snug fit.

Now for the soundbar.

I didn't bother taking a picture of the other side because I only had 2 speakers on me - remember, I was worried about whether these would fit or not. Looks like a perfect fit in the soundbar. I never really was concerned about that though.

Size comparison pictures:

The 77kick25ab speakers have a fine silky cover over them, unlike that cheap cotton cover on the original 2.5s.. Funny, the 77kick10s don't have any cover. Weird.

The magnet:

Here's where I'm left puzzled. If these fit, why did Alpine go for such a small magnet.

Now for some rambling:
When I put the first one in (driver's side, front dash) I couldn't wait and turned the stereo on. The first thing I noticed was sound coming out of the speaker, and a lot of it. That's great, because when I installed the 77kick10s in my dash and soundbar friday, I felt the sound in the front got pushed down to the floor - and this pulled it back up.

One concern of mine was having the tweeter facing straight up would reduce what you can hear from it. Unfortunately, I think that's still the case. The way the 3.5s sit, they are tilted towards you a little bit (it may be because the fit, honestly), but they do sound great.

Hrmm, let's see, what else..

I was a bit too excited to measure these, sorry about that! I do plan to get another set for my soundbar, so I might do it then. I think if these fit, most 3.5"ers will probably fit just fine too. The comparison pictures tell a pretty good story.

Hrm, other things: They weigh at least twice what those 2.5"ers weigh, and if you notice, the 2.5" has a capacitor.. I am not sure these do.. nothing visible to me anyway. I wonder if Kicker went a little far with the magnet lol.

Anyway, that's all I have to say. This was an awesome improvement! They're totally worth looking into. :)

All this said, the speakers in the back still seem a fair bit quieter than the ones in the front. I mean, it still seemed worth it to change those (if all else, to get rid of the distortion they produce). In fact, I just ordered a set of those for the back lol.

So last note, I noticed when I was OCDing about these on google before I bought them, that you can save some money if you get them separately under the part number on the back. I ended up getting the set because it was still cheaper than paying shipping (ebay sellers are $65 for the set while the speakers are about $23-25 each depending on the mopar parts site)..

The 77kickxx sets have a 12 month warranty according to the slip that came with this, and well, the 77kick25s also come with a set of nifty plastic kicker stickers. Not sure I feel like advertising that fact to potential speaker thieves lol.

One last thing while I'm rambling here..

I am not impressed with the 730n's fm reception :\ I mean if you use the giant whip antenna it comes in fine, but I'm noticing the sound quality on bluetooth is much better. ... bluetooth. I should plug something else in like a USB drive or my phone directly and see what it sounds like. :]

All this said, I guess it goes to point out.. the alpine upgrade is probably worth it lol. At the end of the day, replacing all 8 speakers cost me $260. If I add a nice subwoofer and amplifier in, and the necessary junk to get it working, I'd probably end up right back at the same figure.

However, I do think it's worth trying other 3.5" options you might have in mind. There's a little bit of headroom inside those speaker covers in the dash, and if the large magnet causes the speaker to tilt back towards you.. it's probably a good thing. :)

:drinks:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Kyanche! this is an awesome thread. I too am an unhappy 2015 base system owner. After this I ordered the 6.5" Polk DB651s for the soundbar and dash which Installed yesterday, and also ordered the 77kick25abs for the sounder and dash. Just the 4 Polks made a huge difference, i can't wait to add in the 3.5"s!!

I would still like a tad more bass, so I ordered a powered sub for under the rear seat, Kenwood one. Thinking that may cure my sound woes!

I will post my findings on the added bass once i get it and install it.

Thanks again for taking the plunge and testing these!

:iamhappy:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I picked up a set of four on Ebay for $65. In transit now.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol lucky you! Mine were $65 per pair. :\ I'm fine with that though. :)

Can't wait to get my 2nd pair for the soundbar.. the ebay seller I bought from is really dragging their feet X_X I ordered them Monday and they still haven't shipped!

Please update with how it goes for you ^_^ I'm curious on how they end up sounding to you! I am pretty happy with mine. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Alpine upgrade was $1700 for our 15 JK so we upgraded the system ourselves. Kenwood 372BT head unit, Polk audio 6.5 component sets in the dash and bar and a Kenwood 8" powered sub in the storage compartment in the back. Gutted the factory speakers to use them as brackets bc the 6.5s came into contact with the grills on the sound bar. Used the tweeter cups that came with the Polk tweeters and hot glued them into the gutted factory tweeter bracket. Huge improvement over stock and Bluetooth works great until the top comes down! Retained the steering wheel controls with the adapter from Crutchfield which was deal breaker for me if I lost those. While set up took two weekends, because we desperately needed a sub and didn't know it until the HU and speakers were installed, and just under $800. Head unit and adapter $400 (Crutchfield bc we wanted tech support in case we ran into problems with the steering controls adapter), speakers $117/box (Amazon) and sub $160 (Amazon).

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
I completed a complete sound system upgrade on my 2015 JK with factory base level system less than a month ago - loving it. Went with 4 Kicker 77KICK10 6.5 inchers, 4 Pioneer TS-T110 7/8-Inch hard-dome tweeters, and a Kenwood double DIN touchscreen HD/Bluetooth/video-player/rear-camera headunit. For the tweeters, I gutted the base level 2.5" mid range speakers and used the frame as an adapter - worked slick!

The system sounds really good. I don't want to lose storage space so no subwoofer, but it really isn't missed as the Kickers put out a decent bass punch. Total cost for the upgrade, including the rear view camera, was less than $675. HUGE upgrade over the factory base level system, which sucked (the speakers were awful, and the head unit got static on every station).

Here are some threads I started on this topic:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/chrysler-kicker-speakers-compared-to-oem-wrangler-jk-speakers-1194825.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/new-component-tweeters-in-dash-on-2015-jk-1214057.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/who-should-install-upgraded-speakers-in-their-jk-and-who-shouldnt-1199473.html

Cheers...

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am very tempted to take the $65 bite for the team and see if they fit or not.
Haha... very nice of you, but some of us have already taken one for the team. LOL

All this said, the speakers in the back still seem a fair bit quieter than the ones in the front. I mean, it still seemed worth it to change those (if all else, to get rid of the distortion they produce). In fact, I just ordered a set of those for the back lol.
Very interesting. As you will see on the forum, for those with factory premium systems on pre-2015 JKs, the factory amp is setup to attenuate the sound going to the sound bar (they apparently did that to reduce sound bar vibration) - lots of people have complained about this.

The 2015's have a totally redesigned sound bar, and I don't think the sound going to it is attenuated in either the base level or premium systems. In any case, with my base level sound system (now upgraded) my sound bar speakers seem equal to the dash speakers when faded to center.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL by taking a chance I meant in the 3.5s, since nobody had tried those before.

I agree that cutting open the stock 2.5s was a gutsy move, although you can buy those from mopar for like $12 each.. not that you'd ever want to!

You can also buy the alpine 3.5s for around $15 a piece if I remember correctly!

Also: The sound bar does sound quieter to me with a 77kick10 and 77kick25 speaker in it, but I'm not sure why. The top of the soundbar does vibrate a lot, especially where the 6.5 woofer is, but I don't hear it - it's not vibrating against anything :)

Attenuation shouldn't happen if you have the factory head unit anyway, right? Because that doesn't have any control on the speakers at all.

and a Kenwood 8" powered sub in the storage compartment in the back.
Wow! I had no idea they made a sub that small. How well does it work? I want one!

Hrmm silly me. The OEM sub also fits there. lol :D

1 - 20 of 89 Posts