Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2015 Wrangler 2-door Sahara.
It came with the base radio, not the Alpine upgrade.

Basically, the radio is useless with the windows open at highway speeds.
Can't hear it. No fidelity, no power, listless flat sound.

I'd like to upgrade, but want to keep the OEM head unit. Is there any way
to add an amp, speakers & sub to the original radio?

This may have been asked before, sorry if this is repeated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been researching this for the past few days. Apparently the stock head unit is the downfall to the entire system. You can add all of those items but from what I have gathered from my research, the best way to get the sound you want is to redo it all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've seen various people say they've had good luck with using a line output converter, amp, and new speakers. I'm trying this on our JK over the next week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, got the soundbar off. Unlike previous years, the 2015 soundbar has multiple chambers, so there isn't much room for crossover networks.

There are seven input wires into the soundbar: 3 black, 3 white, 1 white/black striped. Since the "tweeters" have in-line capacitors on them, I suspect the wiring harness is providing signal + return for left & right channels and the overhead light plus a common ground. The head unit filters out the low bass frequencies before amplification and the tweeters filter with the capacitors. If I'm right.

There's enough of a difference between the 2014 and 2015 that Kicker released a new upgrade package for the base radio and Alpine systems. (PWRA215 is the base radio package.) This could be just a change in the wiring harness adapter. I've not found anything but superficial information on the 2015 model yet.

I'm still deciding on what I want to do.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a 2015 base sound system and upgraded the speakers today to Hertz DCX 165.3s and it sounds awesome. I'm keeping the factory 130 head unit.

Just trying to decide it it's worth adding an amp.

I decided to skip the Alpine upgrade with the intentions of upgrading with aftermarket equipment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts