Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience comparing the sound quality of the 2016 Alpine upgrade in comparison to the 2015 (and prior) Alpine system? I know they added a set of tweeters to the roll bar and moved the sub. I'm wondering if it sounds substantially different.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Has anyone had experience comparing the sound quality of the 2016 Alpine upgrade in comparison to the 2015 (and prior) Alpine system? I know they added a set of tweeters to the roll bar and moved the sub. I'm wondering if it sounds substantially different.
Sounds better but still limited by the head unit quality IMO.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I test drove a 2016 yesterday with the Alpine upgrade to really hear how it sounds. The bass is greatly improved, but it still lacks clarity in the mids & highs. It's a big improvement over the standard sound system, but I'll have to add aftermarket components (head unit, amps, and speakers = PITA) to get the clarity I want.

·
Registered
493 Posts
So what's "wrong" with the head unit. I have no frame of reference since my Jeep was delivered today with the Alpine and 430N head unit.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I blame the speakers, amp and alpine's tuning more then the deck :)

Sub is very boomy, I keep mine turned all the way down otherwise it's annoying.... Had a aftermarket 12in morel sub in my previous car thus I am use to the sound of a sub....

Mids and highs lack detail......

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I blame the speakers, amp and alpine's tuning more then the deck :) Sub is very boomy, I keep mine turned all the way down otherwise it's annoying.... Had a aftermarket 12in morel sub in my previous car thus I am use to the sound of a sub.... Mids and highs lack detail......
I agree, however the masses assume a lot of bass without distortion sounds good. I think Chrysler gave most people what they want. On that note while it's not perfect I think it's the best sound to come out of a wrangler stock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I blame the speakers, amp and alpine's tuning more then the deck :)

Sub is very boomy, I keep mine turned all the way down otherwise it's annoying.... Had a aftermarket 12in morel sub in my previous car thus I am use to the sound of a sub....

Mids and highs lack detail......
^^ I agree. I have the bass set to 1, mid to 4, and treble all the way up. Even with the bass set to 1 it seems boomy. Yes, plenty of bass, but boomy rather than clean and punchy bass (which is what I like).

On another note, I found out that Spotify now has an EQ built-in (within Spotify app, go to Settings --> Playback --> Equalizer), for the iPhone app anyway. I boosted the mids and highs and this made a BIG difference to add clarity to the sound when playing through the Alpine system. Enough that I'll put off the PITA project of replacing the system (head unit, amp, speakers, and amp/sub) for now!

:iamhappy:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^ I agree. I have the bass set to 1, mid to 4, and treble all the way up. Even with the bass set to 1 it seems boomy. Yes, plenty of bass, but boomy rather than clean and punchy bass (which is what I like).

On another note, I found out that Spotify now has an EQ built-in (within Spotify app, go to Settings --> Playback --> Equalizer), for the iPhone app anyway. I boosted the mids and highs and this made a BIG difference to add clarity to the sound when playing through the Alpine system. Enough that I'll put off the PITA project of replacing the system (head unit, amp, speakers, and amp/sub) for now!
I just watched the full 40 minute YouTube vid. Alpine really put a lot of time and effort into the new system and it is a substantial improvement over the previous system. It's sounds great for an OEM option. I didn't know it was smart enough to re-tune the sound when the hard top is removed. Genius!

Alas, my comments stem from my picky ears that like loud and clear mids & highs (I prefer Klipsch speakers for my home system due to highs you get from horn-loaded tweeter). Maybe I'm losing my hearing so I need additional boost in the mids/highs. I'll deal with that problem later. ;-)

·
Registered
428 Posts
We, too, had to back the bass way down and crank the highs up to max and, still, I'd appreciate more presence in the mids and highs.

I will try tweaking the EQ in the iPhone we're using to drive the system, if that's possible.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I also like clear highs, prefer on the bright side however personally I have never been a fan of klipisch. They are very efficient thus can play very loud but the detail to me isn't there and they sound like they are being played through a horn. If I recall typically 92-94db efficient!! Impressive

I use old infinity kappa speakers.....which are not efficient at all :( they are around 86db

Infinity use to make great stuff.. Now it junk :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts