Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who DIY their auto trans fluid/ filter...
I see fluid capacity is 5.3 quarts for Pan Drop... once you drain the fluid and change the filter do you simply add the 5.3 quarts and call it good?
I have a hell of a time reading the auto trans dip stick on these transmissions. Never had such an issue on previous automatic transmissions.
Yes I have searched and read threads regarding proper procedure for checking auto trans fluid levels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did my 2015, pretty clean. You definitely don't want to over fill the tranny. I measured the amount of fluid that I extracted plus the amount left in the pan for an idea how much goes back in. Worked for me!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did my 2015, pretty clean. You definitely don't want to over fill the tranny. I measured the amount of fluid that I extracted plus the amount left in the pan for an idea how much goes back in. Worked for me!

Approx how much did you put back in?

·
Premium Member
6,910 Posts
Remember, if you just drop the pan and replace the filter you'll leave nearly half of the old, dirty fluid in the system.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remember, if you just drop the pan and replace the filter you'll leave nearly half of the old, dirty fluid in the system.
Yes I do know that. However I have no way to remove it all.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Yes I do know that. However I have no way to remove it all.
That is why I take it to BrakesPlus and have the flush and filter done. yeah it's $$$ but no sense in doing something half-assed. It's like only changing 3 spark plugs or oil change with only filter and 3 qts of oil. With the money saved from doing my own oil and diff changes, it helps the wallet abit.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is it the Mercedes WA580? I ended up using 5 Quarts of ATF+4 to get back in the safe zone with a hot engine, idling in neutral. You might as well replace the transfer case fluid while you're down there too. 2 more quarts of ATF+4

Here's a funny story about Fiat's never ending quest to make the most simple maintenance jobs a fu**ing nightmare.https://imgur.com/DNj3JWl

Maintenance Album https://imgur.com/a/Ehcvy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts