Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks man. Gives you a good reason to shoot some extra rounds at the range! Have fun!

Current build: 2016 JKUHR "Dragon Lady"~JWS Evo J headlights ~ Maximus-3 Stinger ~ Banks Ram Air ~ AFE Mach Force Cat Back
Past builds: '79 & '81 CJ7, 93 ZJ, 04 TJ Rubi

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I wanted to swap out the plastic cover to the antenna so this was a good solution. VMS cover with a star in place. I'm going to get the star painted red for the hard rock scheme or dark tint to match my Fuel Vapor wheels. Can't decide yet.

Current build: 2016 JKUHR "Dragon Lady"~JWS Evo J headlights ~ Maximus-3 Stinger ~ Banks Ram Air ~ AFE Mach Force Cat Back

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks man......every time I get in it makes me smile.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
They give you directions on how to remove the stock one in order to preserve it, but after fooling around for 10 mins I felt like I was going to damage the paint. I just took a pair of ViseGrips to it and pulled it off in pieces. The replacement slide right over the antenna mount and the bolts fit easily into the holes of the mount. I'm tempted to upgrade those down the line to something a little better finished, but it works for now. They have black and billet aluminum versions available.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The hood has been flapping around now for a while so I decided to install a set of drake hood latches. Solid workmanship and a relatively easy install. The nut under the hood on the sidewall made it necessary to remove the front grill. There may have been a way to get it done without doing that, but it made the job twice as easy and only took an extra couple minutes.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Spending the afternoon putting some new gear into the Jeep. More to come once it's all installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Got this installed last night with the top off and 35F outside. Almost there!

Current build: 2016 JKU Hardrock | aka Dragon Lady

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Here's the switch panel with its new color. It pretty closely matches the color inset of the steering wheel. I'm a fan of the contrast it creates. The new switch covers are on their way. Pretty soon rock lights, rear lights and the led bumper light bar will all be illuminated.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

The panel installed and switches in place. Just need to wire up the lights which will be cake considering the ease of the SPOD.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So I've been driving around for the last two months and put 1500mi on my Lady. That's been a combo of street and highway. It's resulted in mpg around 18.2 with the new AFE exhaust in place. That's a fair improvement on what my 04 TJ Rubicon could do and with the extra weight of the unlimited. I have been looking and reading a bunch of posts on CAI and I know there are camps on both sides of the fence. To each his own in the end. I found a fairly unused (couple thousand miles on it) Banks CAI with an oiled element for a reduced price and should have it here in the next week or so. I'm interested to see if it "feels" any different and what happens to my mpg. My commute is the same every day (17mi with 2/3 at highway speed and only occ stop and go traffic on the interstate) so this should be a pretty apples to apples comparison. The only diff is the temp will drop over the next couple months from mid 70-90s to 40-70s. I would only expect a slight difference with that. Tires, wheels and suspension are still stock (though I have a list of things I'm itching to order).

Ok so I am just finishing up a 1300 mile drive from Nebraska to Washington DC and wanted to report on my experience with my Lady. As references above I added the Banks CAI and an AFE cat back exhaust. I've added the teraflex leveling kit and Maximus stinger to the bumper. Not a whole lot in extra weight, but more than was there earlier and definitely increased the aerodynamics and height a little bit. So to the effects on my fuel efficiency. Around town I've seen it drop about 2 mpg to roughly 16.1-16.5. I do like the added sound it's given my exhaust and the vortex under the hood when I accelerate. To each his own right?! On the trip out here I hit 17.7 doing 80mph most of the way. I probably could have upped the mpg performance if I would have done 70-75.
Proof:

Overall I am happy with this little addition. I do have the stock intake and have thought about reinstalling it to see if it makes any difference again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have 2 red and 6 clear cyclones to install. Rock and accent lights here we come.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a little PSA for those of you that have a white or light colored jeep and live in the north with salt in the winter. I moved to the Midwest from south Texas and had no clue how harsh the salt could be. My wife's suburban is white and after a long salty winter she had little rust deposits all over it. Her driver side rear brake was grinding on metal and fueling this whole process (I drove it once and promptly told her that was not a normal grinding sound when she braked and to tell me next time) until it got fixed. I was waiting for a warm day and it finally came. 70degrees and prime time to try out this new little miracle product I found. Iron-X.......spray it on and watch it work. Turns red to purple as it reacts with the iron deposits. A little water and it washed right off. Check out the before and after pics of you don't believe me.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So I've been planning out the different phases of my build and was not the slightest bit surprised at what the final cost was when I got to the total. There's a few things that I may do still and a few that I haven't put on there yet. Including why I've already done.......$24K extra on top of the labor I've put in or will need to put in on this. It's definitely a costly little hobby.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
The deluge of parts has started. I ordered a set of Fuel Vapor D569 17x9. Thank you @Discount Tire for hooking up a good discount. I'd been shopping around a bunch, simply sent them a quote from the competitor and they promptly matched it. I didn't want to buy the tires right now and they were cool with honoring the price and putting them on lay away until I move in July. It's going to be an interesting summer as we move to Utah. The wheels should be here in a few weeks. Here's a teaser on how they look though these are 20x10 and not the 17x9 I ordered.

I saved about 400$.

37x12.50 will be following in June/July.

Current build: 2016 JKU Hardrock | aka Rev

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It's taking forever to do the next mod I've been working on. If I wasn't so hung up on the details I guess it would go quicker. Nevertheless, I was standing in the garage checking out Rev (as named by the family) I realized how many little things had changed with the front end. They've been little additions here and there that give it some real character in my eyes and have added some great functionality as well.

VISIBLE UPGRADES:
- JW Speaker headlights
- JW fog lights
- Drake hood locking hood latches
- Maximus 3 Stinger
- Maximus light bracket with 20" LED flood/spot light bar connected to a sPOD

Current build: 2016 JKUR Hardrock

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Footwell LED Lights
This is something that has bothered me from the get go. The newer JKs have two LED lights in the footwell area. One of these comes on when you open the doors and the other comes on with the dimmer. The one that comes on with the door is considerably brighter. If the dimmer controlled LED was brighter I might actually have left all this alone. My old TJ had the cigarette lighter where I could plug in my phone charger and the light from the charger (blue LED) actually lit the footwell decently that I could see stuff down there, especially if I dropped something and needed to grab it. I drive a lot in the dark back and forth to the hospital so this is something that makes a difference for me on a regular basis.

I had read a thread by MIKEthis about how he provides an upgrade service replacing the footwell LEDs and I contemplated taking him up on a replacement. Two obstacles for me......1.) I'm cheap and though he is doing it at a fair rate (time and materials) I just didn't want to spend anything extra on it. 2.) if there's a chance I can do this on my own and actually learn something in the process that is the whole point of owning a Jeep.....become more self sufficient and independent.

So I took to the interweb to try and find the answer to my "how to" questions while I worked up the courage to jump in the deep end. I found a few pictures of what these little LED boards look like and despite my best googling (I can't believe that is now a word) I was unable to find anything that resembled those little pieces. I left this to fester another 8 months.

A minor knee surgery provided the down time to get back into the details of my Jeep and figure out a solution for REV. In a postoperative narcotic induced buying spree I Amazoned (now I'm creating a word!) a pack of eight 12" red LED light strips with 20 gauge attached wires.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GU37SI2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Wd9gzb66QDEA6]
These are waterproof and I had plans of adding some of these to the undercarriage for a red rock light effect, but as I continued to look for a solution to my footwell LED problem I realized these might be perfect. After seeing how bright they were I knew it was just enough light for the footwell. I just needed to figure out how to take the board out without ruining it, just in case I needed to put it back in.

I was reading around on the JK-Forum and here on Wrangler forum when I came across a link to a youtube video (I have searched everywhere to find this again). It showed the LED board and it also showed another LED board wired in place of the old one. I'm not sure why, but something clicked during that video. I went out to REV, unscrewed the 7mm phillips screw holding the LED boards in place and fired up the soldering iron.

Examining the board it looked like the wires were just soldered through the board. I held the board in a pair of needle nose pliers and heated up the wires and they popped out easily enough.

The supplied wires on the LED strips were pathetic so I trimmed those and soldered in 18G wires that would work with the OEM wires. Add in some heat shrink and we were in business. THe setup was kind of crude, but it looked like it would work easily enough. Time to hook it back in and see what happened. I peeled some 3M double sided adhesive tape and stuck on a ledge just behind the plastic fascia. This would allow it to shine down, but not be visible from either seat.

Amazing! Not overwhelmingly bright as to distract you while driving and ruin your night vision, but still bright enough that I can see what is being lit up. This was only in the passenger footwell, but I am going to try and replicate this with more pictures of the wiring and soldering on the driver's side. I'll post those tomorrow.

I hope this helps some of y'all out. It really could not be any easier. Keep a look out for an update on the driver side tomorrow. I may look to add one under each seat so you can find things in the back floor at night.

Current build: 2016 JKUR Hardrock
#HardrockREVjku
Past builds: '79 & '81 CJ7, 93 ZJ, 04 TJ Rubicon

·
Registered
106 Posts
Love this build! It's got a super clean look to it! :popcorn: Can't wait to watch it progress.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with AMBC, love the color and the build so far. Looking forward to the new wheels and tires when you move. Also, I'm glad to discover that I'm not the only one with a spreadsheet...

-Eli

Reactions: patsoccer27
21 - 40 of 273 Posts