Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go a modified 4 inch antenna on eBay. Looks great but radio recption is horrible. Can anyone recommend a shorter antenna that has good reception for a 2016 wrangler?

·
Registered
379 Posts
We had a 12" stubby antenna and it was not very good. So I cut 3" off the top of the JKUs oem antenna, just so it would clear our garage door, and it works fine. - Ted

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
So I go a modified 4 inch antenna on eBay. Looks great but radio recption is horrible. Can anyone recommend a shorter antenna that has good reception for a 2016 wrangler?
Shorter antennas are known for that issue. I personally use a 24" CB antenna from AntennaX.

Link

·
Registered
801 Posts
You need to ask the people that are in the same geographic area as you. I am in the Dallas area and I have the Antenna X 13 in stubby and it works great, have zero reception issues. On the flip side I have heard from others in different parts of the country that the Antenna X didn't work for them.

·
normalità controindicato
308 Posts
I only listen to 2 FM stations in my area and the 24" AntennaX is fine on one of them, and has a little more static than the stock antenna on the other station. It will depend on your area and the stations you listen to.

·
Supporting Vendor
621 Posts
we have several solutions and sizes to choose from. For reception, we usually see a big drop off under 12 inches

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I live in a tough radio area. The AX-24" gets me to about 80% of the OE antenna performance. Less length and it would be an ornament but Not because of lack of quality, I just live in mountain/valley - ville.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I ran into a similar issue and didn't want to lose reception with a stubby replacement so I removed my OEM whip antenna and re located the entire unit inside the right side of dash and up the roll bar in the padding. Reception is great and a matching "trail rated" badge to cover the hole.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Another vote for the 24" Antenna X CB style antenna. Looks good and works very close to stock performance.
I had a 13-14" universal plastic/rubber antenna before the current 24" and reception was horrible.

·
Registered
167 Posts
FWIW, vertical-style antennas such as these perform their best at about a quarter of the wavelength of interest - which for FM radio is slightly under 2 and a half feet (234/95MHz = 2.4ish feet). There are more efficient ways to load shorter antennas than others, but with VHF antennas you're basically stuck with either helical loading (the worst), bottom loading with the coil at the bottom (somewhat better), or center loading with a squiggly coil in the middle (even better, but somewhat rare for FM antennas?).

This is also why those 102" CB whips are so effective :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts