Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll try to paint the best picture here so no questions are left.

I have a stock Auto 2016 Jeep JK (4door) Sahara with the tow package (3.73 gears) and am going to put a AEV 2.5 lift on as well as the geometry correction bracket that AEV offers on 17x9 Wheels.

I’ve narrowed down the tires to BFG KO2s OR Duratrac’s as this is my DD and and will be seeing Pavement majority of the time with the occasional backroad.

The issue I’m having is narrowing down the best size of tire to look aggressive while still maintaining daily drivability and not having to regear. (I know it’ll feel slower compared to stock, just don’t want it to feel sluggish picking up on the highway)

I live in south Ontario Canada and have winter tires already for the Jeep already and am driving on flat roads around here.

I’ve been looking at 285/70r17, 285/75r17, 295/70r17 and possibly 305/70r17 and can’t figure out what is the best option that allows the Jeep a good stance while still maintaining the drivability of a DD.

For the amount of money it’ll cost do it all right I don’t want to overlook this important step and hope this forum has answers!

If you have pictures of your Jeep JKU that’s a bonus.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have a 2" lift and I have 285/70/17 tires. The combination looks good and my Jeep is extremely drive-able . I also have the tow package. A few days ago I had the BFG KO2 tires installed. This is my second set and I am very happy with them. I got around 88,000 miles on the previous set.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,483 Posts
I would say if going with KO2's find a set of 315/70-17 C rated. Those will be perfect with the AEV 2.5

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2" lift and I have 285/70/17 tires. The combination looks good and my Jeep is extremely drive-able . I also have the tow package. A few days ago I had the BFG KO2 tires installed. This is my second set and I am very happy with them. I got around 88,000 miles on the previous set.
thanks for the reply! Looks good. I was looking at 295/70r17 (33.5”) as it just looks like more of the look I’m going for just not sure if my 3.73 years can handle it. It’s not that much different from 285/70r17 (32.7”)

·
Registered
664 Posts

I have a stock Auto 2016 Jeep JK (4door) Sahara with the tow package (3.73 gears) and am going to put a AEV 2.5 lift on as well as the geometry correction bracket that AEV offers on 17x9 Wheels.

I’ve narrowed down the tires to BFG KO2s OR Duratrac’s as this is my DD and and will be seeing Pavement majority of the time with the occasional backroad.

The issue I’m having is narrowing down the best size of tire to look aggressive while still maintaining daily drivability and not having to regear. (I know it’ll feel slower compared to stock, just don’t want it to feel sluggish picking up on the highway)

I live in south Ontario Canada and have winter tires already for the Jeep already and am driving on flat roads around here.

I’ve been looking at 285/70r17, 285/75r17, 295/70r17 and possibly 305/70r17 and can’t figure out what is the best option that allows the Jeep a good stance while still maintaining the drivability of a DD.

For the amount of money it’ll cost do it all right I don’t want to overlook this important step and hope this forum has answers!

Cheers
You might find this helpful.. Tire Size Calculator

I have same AEV lift on order. I prefer Falken Wildpeaks (have on both my DD 6 spd JKUs) and plan to go up to 35's with 3.73s

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
What gears are in your Jeep? Think 3.73 which I have Can handle 315s?
Can 3.73 handle it? Of course. Will you be happy with it? Well no one can tell you that but you. I got one friend that has been running 35s with 3.21s for 100k miles and he is perfectly happy. I was less happy running 285/75/17 with 3.73 and i regeared to 4.88s and jumped to 35s.

Truth be told the regear cost me less than my tires. Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,874 Posts
The 295/70r17 is a great match for what you want to do. I ran that combo for a few years. Still decent power. When I went up to 315's, I needed to regear to 4.56 right away.

Check out the Yokohama X-AT in that size. And the Cooper AT-3 is an outstanding tire for a DD.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
I needed to regear when I went to 285 75 17. The Jeep wasn’t fun anymore.

If you can lift, you can regear. Start saving now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Personally I would not go bigger than a 285 for a daily driver especially if you spend any time on the highway. The wider you get the more tendency there is for the Jeep to wander as the wide tires are more prone to follow irregularities in the road. Some are OK with it and accept it as a trade off for the look they want. Also if you stay with a 285/70R17 which is generally considered a 33 you do not need a lift. Maybe a leveling kit such as the Teraflex performance spring leveling kit. Gearing vs tire size is subjective depending on the owner and what he/she considers acceptable performance. A few years ago the general consensus seemed to be that 3.73 with 33's was perfect for a daily driver. Lots of folks were quite happy with 3.21 on the stock 32's even 33's. There is only about a 2% difference in rolling radius between stock 32's (255/75R17 or 255/70R18) and the typical 285/70R17. That said the trend lately seems to be for much deeper gearing. Seems 3.73 is sluggish/inadequate with stock 32's, even Rubicon 4.10's and stock 32's are just barely adequate and considered inadequate by some. 4.56 it seems now the absolute minimum for 35's and many consider 4.88 preferable. The rolling radius of the typical 35 (315/70R17) is 5% more than a 33, so a Rubicon w/4.10/35's would perform better than a 3.73/33's. 4.10 is a 10%deeper gear than 3.73. Doing the math if you go with the 295/70R17 tire your performance would be similar to a Wrangler with the stock 32's and 3.21 gears if you choose a light tire. Should be pretty easy to find a stock 3.21 geared Jeep to take for a test drive and see if you are OK with the performance.

·
Super Moderator
22,483 Posts
good buddy who I go to Moab every year with ran 35's on his jku with 3.73 and never had an issue. We live about 800 miles from Moab and we would get exactly the same mpg coming and going within a few tenths of a gallon at each fill up. sometimes I would talk more some times less but always close. he pulls a boat and also a jayco 145 baja camper. I know I have had 3 rubicons with 4.10's and ran 35's on all of them with no issues and pull a camper as well. I also had no issues when I had a 2013 jku sport with 3.21 and 33's. I guess it all depends on what you consider good performance. I have spent many many hours driving chargers with hemis so not like I don't have a decent comparison on peppy vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had a 2.5" Rubicon Express lift installed on my '17 JKU. It's on 33"s currently and I plan to go to 35"s when these wear out. Everything I've read says you can go 2.5" lift with 35"s without changing geometry or regearing (candidly I have a manual trans and that may help the gearing). Still drives great on road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't have a lift, but I do have a 2016 with 33x12.5x17 Firestone Destination MT2's, no rubbing, it's my daily driver, gets about 14.5 running short trips, up to 16 on road trips. Before this covid crap my daily trip to work was roughly ~33miles one way.

I should note, my previous 2015 had stock Wranglers with Kevlar and I really don't feel a performance hit acceleration wise, just in the gas mileage department. My 15 could get up to 22mpg on a good day driving distance,18-19 city compared to the 2016 stats I listed above. But I expected that going with aftermarket wheels and tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts

Cheers
Have you verified the gearing? In 2014 they offered two packages. The standard one was 3.21 gearing and the heavy duty one was 3.73. Unfortunately I have the standard one.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Cheers
i have the same lift set up on my 2011. I recently changed out the BFG mud terrain tires in favor of Toyo A/T open country. I went with 255/80/r17 and similar size on the previous MTs. Pic of the MTs are on my profile. Toyo pic is here This too is my DD I get a lot of compliments on the Jeep

·
Registered
55 Posts
My son and I both have 2018 jku,s. I have 2 1/2 in lift, he has mopar 4 inch. I run 35s , no problems, unless I am on some trails going too fast, I can pop my rear fenders off. My son runs 38 inch tires, yes 38....we both have manuals and 3.73 gears. He tows a 3 person jet ski occasionally with no issues. We do live in a flat area (Orlando, FL).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts