Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a drop of oil in the driveway and discovered this. Any ideas where this is coming from and if it is covered under powertrain warranty?

2016 JK Rubicon
38K miles
Manual Transmission

Attachments

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,518 Posts
I noticed a drop of oil in the driveway and discovered this. Any ideas where this is coming from and if it is covered under powertrain warranty?

2016 JK Rubicon
38K miles
Manual Transmission
Hi jlang,
We're sorry to hear about your recent concern. I do understand that you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for guidance. However, should you decide to have your dealer address this, feel free to keep us updated! If additional assistance is needed throughout this process, feel free to send us a private message!
Alex
Jeep Cares

·
Super Moderator
15,898 Posts
Thread moved from JL Tech to JK Tech. :thumb:

Rear main seal possibly, fairly common failure. We've had 2 fail (2013 & 2014) both replaced under regular warranty. Do not believe they would qualify for power train warranty but your dealer can answer that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taking it in on Monday. The service advisor stated that if it naturally failed then it will be covered under the power train warranty. We will see.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I posted about this in another thread recently - it could be your oil filter housing as well. Take the engine cover off and use a flashlight to see if you can see oil in the valley of the engine. Shine it down around the base of where you place the oil filter. If you see oil down there, the housing is bad.

A bad oil filter housing can appear similar to bad rear main seal on the pentastar. There's a hole on top of the block that will allow the oil collecting in the valley to drain behind the flywheel and drop out exactly where you're seeing it. The wire shows where the hole is. From the top, you can see all the oil in the valley - it can hold quite a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Lot of threads here in JK forum regarding the oil cooler or the associated o-rings failing, causing the engine valley to fill with oil that then runs down the back of the engine and down the bell housing of the trans.... shine a flashlight into the valley beside the oil filter cap to look for oil - or take a chopstick - it is slender and rigid enough to go down smoothly into the valley - and see if it comes back up with oil on it...seems to be a common occurrence on JK/JKU’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
So the rear main seal is a common failure. So what is this little common failure going to cost to repair when all out warranties are over?

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 2012 leaves a very occasional drip that is likely the rear main. Engine valley is dry. Going to live with it till it gets worse.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Oil cooler leak gives the appearance of the rear main leak. If it still shows signs of leaking after the rear main seal is changed it was the cooler all along..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2017 JKUR just went into service today for the same issue. Diagnosed as the rear main seal. It will take 3 days to repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts