Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a super strange issue that just started out of nowhere...

I have a 2016 JK, and it has always been in tip top shape, no issues whatsoever. When I bought the Jeep last November 2018, I had an automatic door lock system installed from A1 Electric - https://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2...=JE-JK0717-LK2

The other day I was outside, and I pressed the lock button on the fob, and my blinker lights did not blink, as they always do, and the doors didn't lock. Tried again and again, and nothing.

Then I went to start the car, and it would not start. I hear a light buzzing, then a couple of clicks, then nothing. Won't turn over at all. Battery is good, and all of the lights, blinkers, dash lights, radio, etc. are all on and functional. The Jeep just won't start!

It sat for 2 days without being started, but I would go in and out of it, using the key fob to unlock and lock it. And just out of the clear blue, it does not start.

Tried to get a jump, and nothing. Did a little research, and tried to remove the IOD 20amp fuse (for a couple minutes) and put it back, and nothing! I have no clue what is going on and how this could have happened out of nowhere. After taking out the IOD fuse, the only thing that happened is my clock got reset.

I am at a loss here, and very frustrated! Does anyone have ANY possible ideas or advice on this.

For reference, it is a 2016 Willy's Edition, 6 speed manual, with 65K miles. All service and oil changes have been spot on, from the only other previous owner, to me.

PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery is completely fine, nothing wrong with the battery at all. The only reason I referenced the battery in my post is because I was describing everything I did and tried to a tee.

Zero issues with the battery, 100%. Thanks...

·
Registered
971 Posts
How did you establish the battery is fine? load test? voltage drop under load? Nothing you said you did in your post has anything to do with the starter operation. You say the lights and accs. all function But do they continue to function when you hit the starter? lights require very little power compared to the starter. What did you use to try to jump start? $1.98 cables wont cut it My money is on the 3year old battery or loose or dirty connection

·
Premium Member
7,261 Posts
^2

Modern Jeeps (and other vehicles) are notorious for not starting when a battery gets older and weak. The only way to test is to have it load tested by an auto store. They will do it for free. They want to sell you a battery but won't install it.

You can also try cleaning the posts and making sure the cable clamps are very, very tight.

The systems are very finicky. It may start with 12.4 volts on the battery but display what you are describing at 12.3. The days of the slow crank as a warning of a weak battery are over.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The first thing to check is the battery connections, particularly the negative one. If you can twist them on the posts bare handed, they aren't tight enough. If they are tight, then pull the battery as others have suggested and have it tested.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
So I have a super strange issue that just started out of nowhere...

I have a 2016 JK, and it has always been in tip top shape, no issues whatsoever. When I bought the Jeep last November 2018, I had an automatic door lock system installed from A1 Electric - https://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2...=JE-JK0717-LK2

The other day I was outside, and I pressed the lock button on the fob, and my blinker lights did not blink, as they always do, and the doors didn't lock. Tried again and again, and nothing.

Then I went to start the car, and it would not start. I hear a light buzzing, then a couple of clicks, then nothing. Won't turn over at all. Battery is good, and all of the lights, blinkers, dash lights, radio, etc. are all on and functional. The Jeep just won't start!

It sat for 2 days without being started, but I would go in and out of it, using the key fob to unlock and lock it. And just out of the clear blue, it does not start.

Tried to get a jump, and nothing. Did a little research, and tried to remove the IOD 20amp fuse (for a couple minutes) and put it back, and nothing! I have no clue what is going on and how this could have happened out of nowhere. After taking out the IOD fuse, the only thing that happened is my clock got reset.

I am at a loss here, and very frustrated! Does anyone have ANY possible ideas or advice on this.

For reference, it is a 2016 Willy's Edition, 6 speed manual, with 65K miles. All service and oil changes have been spot on, from the only other previous owner, to me.

PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you...
Agree with the others, you just think that battery is fine bc lights, etc work. I have a 2017 with only 29k miles...one day, no warning, dead. Everything else worked like you have. I picked up a new battery at Advance Auto and fired right up

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure how, but somehow the aftermarket auto lock system I have - which the person who installed it did it as if he was installing an alarm system for whatever reason - lost connection to the key fob, and caused some sort of interrupt between the starting system.

::shrug::

Snipped the alarm system wire that was part of the A1 electric auto lock system install, and it started right up. What a weird strange fluke. Whew!

Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure how, but somehow the aftermarket auto lock system I have - which the person who installed it did it as if he was installing an alarm system for whatever reason - lost connection to the key fob, and caused some sort of interrupt between the starting system.

Snipped the alarm system wire that was part of the A1 electric auto lock system install, and it started right up. What a weird strange fluke. Whew!

Forgot to add when saying this part, that it lost connection as if the alarm system was activated, and killed the the Jeep from starting. Still don’t understand how or why this happened, but will be investigating further. At least I can start my Jeep now tho...

·
Premium Member
922 Posts

Glad you got it resolved! Just for the note on dead batteries, I just replaced my 2016 last week and the jeep cranked slowly but started for about 4 days of warning before it just couldn't do it anymore...slower and slower each time. New Batt fixed it of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts