Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking at putting on a 2.5 AEV Lift kit, but after talking to the AEV dealer (and them checking with AEV) a 2.5" lift kit would be ther same height as stock, but level. there is a huge Rack on my Jeep, and just want to level it out.

I started looking at spacers, and a mechanic friend of mine thought just putting on new springs could do it (im skeptical)

any suggestions here? the stock tires are 31" and I am not planning on changing them for awhile (but will go bigger when i do)

Can i just do new springs to solve the issue? if so suggestions on the springs?

i would prefer to not do spacers , but will if its the best option for the ride/Performance. looking for ANY help here as I am totally lost and most likely making this harder than it needs to be.

:pullinghair:

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,696 Posts
So I was looking at putting on a 2.5 AEV Lift kit, but after talking to the AEV dealer (and them checking with AEV) a 2.5" lift kit would be ther same height as stock, but level. there is a huge Rack on my Jeep, and just want to level it out.

I started looking at spacers, and a mechanic friend of mine thought just putting on new springs could do it (im skeptical)

any suggestions here? the stock tires are 31" and I am not planning on changing them for awhile (but will go bigger when i do)

i would prefer to not do spacers , but will if its the best option for the ride/Performance. looking for ANY help here as I am totally lost and most likely making this harder than it needs to be.

:pullinghair:

Thanks
What makes them think a 2.5" AEV lift kit would be the same height as stock, only level? That makes no sense. Your BackCountry is no taller than any other Jeep stock.
Other than some special edition Jeeps that come with extra tall springs, Jeeps come with a range of springs that are all in the same height range, some a little taller / some a little shorter. Presumably when they make a given Jeep they pick the right springs based on how much it weighs so it comes out at about the right ride height. But there does seem to be some variance in that process. You may want to look at the tags on your stock springs and see which springs yours came with. It is the two numbers just before the last two letters on the tag.
Any 2 or 2.5 inch lift should do just fine. Spacer lifts keep the stock spring rate and they lift exactly the thickness of the spacer. Spring lifts tend to lift more than advertised, but where you were before the lift will also impact how much lift you get from the new springs.
I would start by reading the info in the beginners guide to lifting and the Most Popular Lift on the Wrangler Forum threads. Another option is either a leveling lift or the Rancho 2" Progressive Spring lift.
Start with these threads.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/most-popular-lift-shock-setup-on-wf-1136938.html
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/mopar-2-inch-lift-77070088-with-fox-shocks-972321.html
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rancho-2-sport-system-w-4-springs-2096081.html

·
Registered
744 Posts

Thanks
You need to find a new AEV dealer.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,387 Posts
AEV makes a 2" leveling kit (spacer) that also... get this... makes it around 1.5"-2" taller and level. $285

AEV also makes two versions of a 2.5" kit that get this... make it level and raise it by 2.5"! $1,000.

AEV also makes a 3.5" and a 4.5" kit that make them, you guessed it, 3.5" or 4.5" and level. $1,800-2,250

No matter the kit, when you put aftermarket springs on a Jeep that provide lift, they also provide leveling. What's the purpose of not adding leveling if you are lifting? If you have a Sport model and add Rubicon springs, it will make it taller as Rubi's are supposed to be taller, but it wont change the leveling.

What is your actual end goal. That isn't really clear above. Taller and level? Stock and level. Back to stock and level?

·
Super Moderator
8,696 Posts
As Jeepinmichguy pointed out, you need a better AEV dealer. Saying that an AEV 2.5" lift would not make it any higher, just level it, displayed a lack of understanding about the product.
When you lift a Jeep you could put the aspects in three classes. One is the springs. They are the easy one, but they are only one aspect of a lift. Tucked in with springs would be spacers, which change the ride height that a given spring will deliver by the thickness of the spacer. Next are shocks. You need shocks that have the appropriate range of travel for the springs. Longer / taller springs without matching shocks is not really a lift. Sure, the Jeep will ride higher. But the range of travel that the suspension operates in will be unchanged. Something that goes with the shocks is the bump stops. Factory shocks work great with factory bump stops. As you go to longer shocks typically they are longer when compressed so they need more bump stop to keep the shocks from bottoming. Lastly, there is the suspension geometry. This is a big factor in how the Jeep rides after it is lifted. Lifting the Jeep changes the suspension geometry. The more it is lifted the more the geometry changes. You can add things to restore the suspension geometry to where it needs to be. How much you need to do tends to depend on how much it is lifted and how picky you are about how it drives. On top of that, each Jeep tends to start out different out of the box. So one Jeep may drive just fine with a 2" lift while another Jeep with the same 2" lift does not drive well. Things that fall into this category are things like adjustable track bars, adjustable control arms, and control arm brackets (that move the mounting points of the control arms).
First thing I would suggest is determine where you are and where you want to be. You may want to read some or all of the links I posted earlier. Once you know what you are trying to accomplish it should be fairly straight forward to determine what you need to get there.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Good info given already. My two cents, unless you know what your doing, stick with a well known brand lift kit for a complete system that works together or can be built up later for best results rather than adding parts from one source that may be incompatible with other parts.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hello,
I have a 16 Wrangler and had a 2.5" AEV installed on it this past May. THe vehicle IS higher than it was before. I have not measured it with a tape measure, but it seems a bit higher than what it's advertised as.

As of now, I'm using the stock Rubicon tires. I don't have a winch or a winch bumper on it yet. That will be next summer.

It handles very well. If I was to be totally honest and nit-picky, the front end is a little bit bouncy. No, stiffer would be a better word. I heard somewhere that the lift was designed with the weight of a winch and aftermarket bumper.

I also have the rear bumper and tire carrier. I personally have always liked their stuff. It costs more initially, but it seems that they take the time to think things out before building a part.

·
Registered
744 Posts
AEV makes a 2" leveling kit (spacer) that also... get this... makes it around 1.5"-2" taller and level. $285

AEV also makes two versions of a 2.5" kit that get this... make it level and raise it by 2.5"! $1,000.

AEV also makes a 3.5" and a 4.5" kit that make them, you guessed it, 3.5" or 4.5" and level. $1,800-2,250

No matter the kit, when you put aftermarket springs on a Jeep that provide lift, they also provide leveling. What's the purpose of not adding leveling if you are lifting? If you have a Sport model and add Rubicon springs, it will make it taller as Rubi's are supposed to be taller, but it wont change the leveling.

What is your actual end goal. That isn't really clear above. Taller and level? Stock and level. Back to stock and level?
AEV is known for not making Jeeps level, they keep a little front rake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.