Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after lurking on numerous forums and wanting a Jeep for years, I finally have a Wrangler. My car history has been like this:

1993 F-150
1997 F-150
2010 VW Passat
2011 Cadillac CTS
2015 Chrysler 300C

I wanted a Jeep before I went to the 300, but that car is so good looking, I pulled the trigger. And that is a great car, that I still have. I was still dying for a Jeep though. So I got a used 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit with the Hemi.

It was nice, but literally the day I got it, in my head I go, "my next vehicle will be a Wrangler". Then like an omen, that JGC blew up before my return period. Started making noises, smoking big time, and leaking transmission fluid. So I took it back.

I originally wanted a Back Country, but that's pretty pricey, and there were none around here. I just figured I would look around and I found a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Freedom Edition. It was at the same dealership that I got the 300 from, and I liked them. So I went to test drive and fell in love. I'm not much a negotiator/haggler, but I did look on True Car and it was already priced cheaper than what True Car said was a good price. Only a 151 miles on it. So I took it for a weekend test drive, and never looked back.

This is my first Jeep Wrangler, and even though both the Caddy and 300 were gorgeous to look at, this is the first time I have driven something and just felt like, "this is the one for me." I can't imagine driving anything else at this point.

:iamhappy:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So let me get to the build part of this...

To start with it has the 430N head unit, 8 speaker system, not the Premium Alpine system. My previous ride was the aforementioned 2015 Chrysler 300C Platinum which has the 19 speaker 900 watt Harman Kardon upgrade package, and sounds absolutely amazing. I originally planned on replacing the head unit with one of those Android head units, but I dont mind the 430N at this point, so I may hold off on that. However the sounds definitely need an upgrade.

As a part of the deal, I had the dealer add these 3 Mopar items:

Remote Start, Same as Production - Part # 82213625AB:

Remote Start, Same as Production - 82213625AB | Mopar

Hard Top, Headliners - Part #: 82212464AC:

https://mopar.chromedata.com/NextGen/C1111#/productDetails/5079619/212534964

Subwoofer - Part # 77KCK052:

Subwoofer - 77KCK052 | Mopar

On the Kicker VSS site they say they have more options, but this subwoofer was the only one listed on the Mopar site for the 2016, so the Dealer wouldn't add the more advanced Kicker system to the deal.

However after reading about 500 pages on here, I bought the Kicker speakers on my own from Quadratec:

MOPAR® Kicker Audio Speaker Upgrade
For 05-16 Jeep® Wrangler JK, Unlimited JK, Liberty & Grand Cherokee
Quadratec Part No: 14136.9001
Manufacturer Part No: 77KICK10:

MOPAR 77KICK10 - MOPAR® Kicker Audio Speaker Upgrade for 05-16 Jeep® Wrangler JK, Unlimited JK, Liberty & Grand Cherokee - Quadratec

I bought 2 pair to replace all 4 speakers in the Jeep. Amazon had them cheaper, but it was not Prime and it was from some random Auto Wholesale or something. However I called Quadratec and they matched the price and had free shipping. So all four are on their way for $138.

Then I need a phone holder. So I have ordered a 3 piece system. The Panavise 751052008 attaches to the head unit:

http://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/751052008.pdf

However Panavise charges a lot for shipping, so I found it on TSS-Radio:

Panavise InDash Mount 75105-2008

TSS has a terrible pic, and what looks like an old Chrysler. However it is the same part number from Panavise, which says it fits on the 2016 Wranger Unlimited.

The Panavise securely mounts to the 430N screws, and has holes to screw in the iBOLT AMPS Adapter Plate:

https://smile.amazon.com/iBOLT-IT-J9VJ-IKZK-AMPS-Adapter-Plate/dp/B009AYLYWA/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=9BRTNV32K7WYP9HCF49V

Which has a ball mount to attach the iBOLT xProDock holder:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAJOSZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ordered a Covercraft UVS100 SunShield from supercarcovers.com:

http://www.supercarcovers.com/covercraft/redirect.php?prod_id=uv

Currently everything is ordered, and I'm waiting on delivery. I'll post pics when items come in, waiting is the worst part.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Currently everything is ordered said:
2nd worst... Installing those front speakers is a PITA. I had a brand new pair of components ready to go and decided I just couldn't justify the time to do myself.

I almost bought a 2011 Chrysler 200 with the Boston System in it. I own all Boston speakers at home and love them and the system damn near sold me that mini-pimp mobile. Black leather, shiny clock on the dash... lol

Anyway, I had some connections in the business and got a Kenwood DDX773BH. My 08 Wrangler had the entry level head unit. I am considering adding bass, but for now I am quite happy.

If you do swap your speakers out yourself, make sure to stuff the enclosures with poly-fil. Get the cheap stuff at Wal-Mart or craft store.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
So let me get to the build part of this...

To start with it has the 430N head unit, 8 speaker system, not the Premium Alpine system. My previous ride was the aforementioned 2015 Chrysler 300C Platinum which has the 19 speaker 900 watt Harman Kardon upgrade package, and sounds absolutely amazing. I originally planned on replacing the head unit with one of those Android head units, but I dont mind the 430N at this point, so I may hold off on that. However the sounds definitely need an upgrade.

As a part of the deal, I had the dealer add these 3 Mopar items:

Remote Start, Same as Production - Part # 82213625AB:

Remote Start, Same as Production - 82213625AB | Mopar

Hard Top, Headliners - Part #: 82212464AC:

https://mopar.chromedata.com/NextGen/C1111#/productDetails/5079619/212534964

Subwoofer - Part # 77KCK052:

On the Kicker VSS site they say they have more options, but this subwoofer was the only one listed on the Mopar site for the 2016, so the Dealer wouldn't add the more advanced Kicker system to the deal.

However after reading about 500 pages on here, I bought the Kicker speakers on my own from Quadratec:

MOPAR® Kicker Audio Speaker Upgrade
For 05-16 Jeep® Wrangler JK, Unlimited JK, Liberty & Grand Cherokee
Quadratec Part No: 14136.9001
Manufacturer Part No: 77KICK10:

MOPAR 77KICK10 - MOPAR® Kicker Audio Speaker Upgrade for 05-16 Jeep® Wrangler JK, Unlimited JK, Liberty & Grand Cherokee - Quadratec

I bought 2 pair to replace all 4 speakers in the Jeep. Amazon had them cheaper, but it was not Prime and it was from some random Auto Wholesale or something. However I called Quadratec and they matched the price and had free shipping. So all four are on their way for $138.

Then I need a phone holder. So I have ordered a 3 piece system. The Panavise 751052008 attaches to the head unit:

http://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/751052008.pdf

However Panavise charges a lot for shipping, so I found it on TSS-Radio:

Panavise InDash Mount 75105-2008

TSS has a terrible pic, and what looks like an old Chrysler. However it is the same part number from Panavise, which says it fits on the 2016 Wranger Unlimited.

The Panavise securely mounts to the 430N screws, and has holes to screw in the iBOLT AMPS Adapter Plate:

https://smile.amazon.com/iBOLT-IT-J9VJ-IKZK-AMPS-Adapter-Plate/dp/B009AYLYWA/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=9BRTNV32K7WYP9HCF49V

Which has a ball mount to attach the iBOLT xProDock holder:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAJOSZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ordered a Covercraft UVS100 SunShield from supercarcovers.com:

http://www.supercarcovers.com/covercraft/redirect.php?prod_id=uv

Currently everything is ordered, and I'm waiting on delivery. I'll post pics when items come in, waiting is the worst part.
i spent about 550 bucks and turned my base stereo speaker system into a wonderful one.

I used a soundstream picassa nano 5 channel with all new interior speakers with a pioneer 10 inch slim sub/box its great. I have a thread on it.

I dont think the system is going to be much better without adding aftermarket sub and amp

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know the Kicker sub is a little pricey, and I could get aftermarket stuff cheaper. However I dont know I could do the install myself. For every good story I read about a local aftermarket installer, I read a horror story. Also, I was able to roll the Kicker sub and install into the deal, so I didn't have to drop all that money at once. I also like how it can unhook and be removed easily if I need the space. Plus that price includes the sub and amp, whereas something like the Stealthbox is that much for just the sub. And the Stealthbox is not so easy to remove if I need the space for something. I plan on putting a lockbox under the passenger seat, so that Kicker sub that a lot of members use under there wouldn't work for me either.

And ashamedly I must admit I bought into some of the marketing mumbo jumbo that Kicker/Mopar put out about how it is specifically tuned for the Wrangler.

Forum seems pretty decided that the 77KICK10's are a great upgrade. $138 was a relatively cheap upgrade, and I feel like the front will be a pain as stated by BoxerMobileJK, but the soundbar should be super easy.

i have read about the poly fill on here, and the forum seems kind of split. Most people like it, but several have taken it out and said it seems better without it.

I'm currently trying to figure out if I need the tweeter upgrades and what backup camera I am going to go with. I will have the dealer flash it while they are installing the Remote Start, Kicker sub, and headliner.

Camera will probably be the Boss and Raxiom setup others have described, but some have posted about it rusting and chipping. So although it is more expensive, I might check out the Brand Motion offfering.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have 3 bikes from Giant for me, wife, and kid. I have a Saris rack I really like:

Thelma 3 Bike:
https://www.saris.com/product/thelma-3

however it was just shy of fitting due to the spare tire. So I just ordered this extender:

Heininger 6000 Advantage Adjustable 11-Inch Hitch Extension
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Z9O8C/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and this lock for it:

Heininger 6001 Advantage SportsRack 2" Threaded Receiver Trailer Hitch Lock
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Z9O3C/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However I already have a Saris lock. so if my Saris lock fits, I'll just order a matching lock and key from Saris, so I only have to carry one key with me.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Parts are starting to arrive. I got the iBolt on Saturday, and the Panavise today.

According to FedEx, my four 77KICK10 speakers from Quadratec should be in tomorrow, and the UVS100 sunshade should be in on Wednesday

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered the BrandMotion camera. Didn't want to drill the bumper, and some people had issues with the Raxiom mount rusting or flaking. As I said, I didnt' want to drill the bumper, and I didn't want to use a license plate mount. So basically it came down to BrandMotion or Raxiom.

The posts about flaking and rusting with Raxiom were a concern, and the bracket itself only fits a bullet camera. The BrandMotion mount mounts a square camera. If I was ever to get one of those high end Alpine cameras, they are square, and should be able to mount on the same Brandmotion bracket.

Raxiom mount - $59 + have to pay shipping
Boss Cam22 - $24 with Prime shipping
PAC CHYRVD Rear Video Retention Cable - $27 with primeShipping
Cables To Go 29507 - $5 with prime

total - $115, still need shipping

Jeep Wrangler Backup Camera for Factory & Aftermarket Displays Exclusively from Brandmotion

Brand Motion 990-8838 is listed at $250. However there were many posts on WranglerForum about either a 25% or 20% discount. The codes were no longer valid, but i contacted them and they matched the price. $199.95 with free shipping. The dealer already said the would flash it, and Brand Motion said I didn't need all those extra attachments.

So I paid more for BrandMotion, but i posted another thread on here, and everyone loved their BrandMotion mount.

I debated between the 9002-8838 & the 9002-8848 because the latter has the lines on the camera, whereas the one I got does not. However as I have seen posted in other threads, the BrandMotion rep said the 8838 has the better camera. Also I dont plan on replacing the factory wheels, so i dont need an adjustable bracket. And I thought over time the adjustable part might not be as good as the one that is a solid piece.

I'll post pics when it comes in.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I got my speakers in today and I am pretty impressed with Quadratec and Mopar packaging:

Very secure, not much chance of getting damaged. Shipping was pretty fast, but I was dying for them to get here aND of course we had a mini-monsoon as soon as they arrived.

So I didn't get to start working on it until I was running low on daylight, old speakers:

New speaker:

And here they are side by side:

And of course I dropped 2 of the torx screws into oblivion. I had to go to Home Depot and get some silver ones to replace them:

Anyone know where to find replacement screws? Seems easy, but googling is not getting much results.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so in another thread:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/black-torx-screws-for-the-sound-bar-speaker-grills-1189769.html

ZiggyJeep became my new best friend. Posted the part number:

https://moparonlineparts.com/mop-parts/#parts mopar part number is 6506733AA

I ordered 10 of those, and a sunglasses holder / storage bag, part 310RR152:

Storage Bag - 310RR152 | Mopar

I also ordered the amp discussed earlier, the 77Kick53, then cancelled it. I called Kicker and this guy said they changed the system from 2014, and this one won't work with the 2015 and 2016.

So for now, my audio will just be the 4 speakers from Quadratec 77KICK10, stock 430N, and the added Subwoofer amp kit part # 77KCK052

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My covercraft UVS100 came into today. I have had one of these for my past 3 vehicles, great product.

Hopefully this should reduce the heat box that is my Jeep.

In the bag

Velcro closed

Front unfolded

Backside

Folded up

In the Jeep

From the outside

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the UVS100 definitely made a difference. At lunch it was 84 degrees according to my watch. After work it was 94 according to my watch, although the Jeep dash said 100.

Noticeable different temp inside as compared to the oven I got inside for the past 2 weeks

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the console cover in:

Tried it out today, fits ok, but it does what I need it to. Just need it to keep my sweat and sunblock off the leather when I got out cycling. I don't like the word "cycling" but I sound like a kid if I say "riding my bicycle".

Speaking of bicycle, I broke out the hitch extender today. Worked pretty good:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts