Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

2016 JKUR ball joint replacement recommendation

9K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  d_rick 
#1 ·
Hi,

Haven't been on the forum for a while, and the new format is not working very well for me (cant find my old posts, search doesn't work, etc.).

I need to replace both sets of ball joints for my JKUR and am looking for some recommendations for HD options. Since i cant find my autosig or build thread - here is a quick summary:

2016 JKUR
4.5" lift / running 37's
just replaced OEM steering stabilizer with a Fox
heavy build - lots of steel (roll cage, skid plates, bumpers, etc.)

The local shop is recommending Moog, but i have no experience with them. Two other options that are widely recommended and brands i already run are Synergy and Teraflex - which would be my preference.

At any rate, i would welcome and inputs on this request.
TIA
D

See less See more
#2 ·
Not Moog, they're pretty crappy. I've installed 2 sets of them on friend's Jeeps.

I wasn't happy with my last set of Synergy and the wife had been running Teraflex on hers, so I gave them a go on mine. Happy with them on both Jeeps (1 on 37s, 1 on 40s)

I've helped install Rare Parts and they seem really nice, but really pricey. I have no experience with Dynatrac but they seem to get good reviews on the forum.

#3 ·
Not Moog, they're pretty crappy. I've installed 2 sets of them on friend's Jeeps.

I wasn't happy with my last set of Synergy and the wife had been running Teraflex on hers, so I gave them a go on mine. Happy with them on both Jeeps (1 on 37s, 1 on 40s)

I've helped install Rare Parts and they seem really nice, but really pricey. I have no experience with Dynatrac but they seem to get good reviews on the forum.
Hey BBS, long time no "chat" - hope you and the fam are safe / well.

Between the TF options any insights on which you used / recommend?

The Dynatracs look interesting and are made in USA - which is a plus. Same question there, is which one do i go with?

Thanks for jumping in with the advice as usual!
D

#6 ·
All good here, thanks for asking. Hope you're doing well!!

I went with knurled on mine because the synergy I replaced were knurled. The knurled are slightly larger, so had I gone with non-knurled they might not have fit as snug as I would like.
The wife's was a fresh axle so we skipped the knurl.

#8 ·
All good here, thanks for asking. Hope you're doing well!!

I went with knurled on mine because the synergy I replaced were knurled. The knurled are slightly larger, so had I gone with non-knurled they might not have fit as snug as I would like.
The wife's was a fresh axle so we skipped the knurl.
Ok cool, i will likely go with the Dynatrac knurled option then as I'm sure mine have stretched after 4y of mild to severe abuse.

Thanks again for the insights, invaluable as usual BBS!

#7 ·
Reactions: d_rick
#12 ·
I had the Synergy ball joints for a while. They did not last long. I would not recommend. I now have Dynatracs, which have been in maybe a year or less. So far they are fine. I had to go with the knurled ones because the Synergys were knurled. If you’re just replacing the stock ball joints, you don’t need the knurled ones.

#13 ·
I would first get an alignment and check your camber and caster. I would not be surprised if you have a bent axle as it is common with factory tires. If so you can fix your camber and increase caster with off set ball joints. There is only one company that makes them as far as I know. SPC Performance and I think the Napa brand is just a rebranded SPC. They are a high quality joint. You might as well do it right if you are going to do it. I would not waste the money on $600-$1000 ball joints for an axle that is designed for a max 35" tire size. If everything is good as far as caster and camber then I would just go with the Moog and do it yourself.

#15 ·
Knurled are needed if the new joints aren't a tight press fit into the holes. If the standard smooth joints fit tightly in the holes, that is what you want to use.
If you go to knurled early, it will work but that will mean that you have fewer ball joint replacements you can do before you have a problem. Because at some point, if you replace ball joints enough, the stock holes for the ball joints will be worn out. The holes don't really get worn from driving the Jeep, they get worn from replacing ball joints. Switching to knurled before it is required would speed up that wear.
Unless you know a vehicle is already running knurled ball joints, in which case you need to continue using knurled ball joints, I would suggest you start with normal smooth ball joints. If, when installing them, you find they aren't fitting tight enough you can swap those for a set of knurled ball joints. I would not go with knurled without knowing I need to.

#21 ·
With 37's that would be my choice. Call them up for more info.

Reactions: d_rick
#17 ·
Oh, and we are running TeraFlex ball joints, but I would happily run either Dynatrac, RareParts, or even Synergy now that they seem to be using the same new design that TeraFlex uses. But my sister in-laws JK did go through an older version of Synergy ball joints rather quickly. But I think the new ones are like the new TeraFlex ball joints.
I am sure there are other good brands, and some are happy to run the stockers. But unless you are running stock size tires I would look for heavier duty ball joints than the stock ball joints.

#18 · (Edited)
Just an update... Here's confirmation that the Skyjacker ball joints are RARE PARTS.

Photography Still life photography

#19 ·
Thanks to all for jumping in.

So without taking the rig apart, i guess i have the following questions.

1. How do i know if the currently installed units are knurled or not
2. Assuming OEM / non knurled - how do i determine if the currently installed units have expanded and might require knurled now
3. related to the replacement comment, what is the average # of replacements one gets on these - and then what happens when that runs out?

#20 ·
The only way I know of to answer question numbers one and two is to pull the current ball joints and see. Odds are, they are not knurled and knurled ball joints are not needed.
If you buy from a decent vendor and it turns out you need the knurled ball joints I would think they will swap them for you.
I don't have an answer for question three, I have never needed knurled ball joints for.

#27 ·
there is a guy selling some dynatracs in the classifieds for a good deal....only have to press the bodies in once and then you can rebuild them without pressing anything again....very convenient....

#28 ·
Dynatrac's is what I would recommend. I finally bit the bullet after screwing around with other, cheaper ball joints and haven't looked back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.