Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i now also appear to have fallen victim to crappy construction on my 2016 JKUR. I went out this AM to move the JK in preparation to load up for WFF, and when i opened up passenger side door, i have about 2 cups of standing water in my front passenger weathertech floor mat.

I've seen several of you have this issue, and i believe one of you actually got your JK replaced because of it? I'm not willing to go that far (unless FCA is going to also pay to move all my parts off the current rig to the new one), but maybe if there is a "recall" to address this?

None of my aftermarket mods have been related to roof / door seals so i can't see how i might have impacted this. I've also never had the rear hard top off, and only taken the driver / passenger panels off 3 times in a year. I checked those to insure they were on and tight, and they appear to be so.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest that you take it in. More than likely they will replace all the seals and adjust the doors. I think you have to have a long term issues with multiple repair attempts before they talk about replacement.
i need to take it for a recall anyways, so i will add this to the list.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i now also appear to have fallen victim to crappy construction on my 2016 JKUR. I went out this AM to move the JK in preparation to load up for WFF, and when i opened up passenger side door, i have about 2 cups of standing water in my front passenger weathertech floor mat.

I've seen several of you have this issue, and i believe one of you actually got your JK replaced because of it? I'm not willing to go that far (unless FCA is going to also pay to move all my parts off the current rig to the new one), but maybe if there is a "recall" to address this?

None of my aftermarket mods have been related to roof / door seals so i can't see how i might have impacted this. I've also never had the rear hard top off, and only taken the driver / passenger panels off 3 times in a year. I checked those to insure they were on and tight, and they appear to be so.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
update on this... after the absolute pounding NorCal has taken over the last few months, finally was able to get JK into the shop. the problem is now no longer isolated to just driver side, now also happening on passenger side as well. i moved rig into garage for last 5 days and opened all 4 windows and tailgate / removed mats to try and get some the moisture out. at the end of that i still basically have standing water on both sides (i.e. no change).

rig went in this AM, and per the dealership this is a known issue that they are seeing a lot. per some discussion on FB, it seems like a LOT of people are having this problem (like i found a dozen not really looking too hard).

is there an "official" statement from FCA anywhere on this or are they trying to keep it on the DL?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had a leaking drivers side front door on my 2016 and took it in to dealership. They replaced a boatload of seals, adjust the doors and so far no leaks. Just beware that the doors will be even harder to close than usual.

Reactions: d_rick

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a leaking drivers side front door on my 2016 and took it in to dealership. They replaced a boatload of seals, adjust the doors and so far no leaks. Just beware that the doors will be even harder to close than usual.
talked to the dealership last night, and sounds like i'm headed down the same road. they ordered the seal kit - and going to have it installed next week.

only problem is, we are about to get another major rain storm come in starting mid-week

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
talked to the dealership last night, and sounds like i'm headed down the same road. they ordered the seal kit - and going to have it installed next week.

only problem is, we are about to get another major rain storm come in starting mid-week
Water leak update - got rig back from dealership today. From work order:

"checked customer concern using rain simulator, was able to see water going into the drivers floor. was able to find star s15230000031 related to concern. was able to see water passing through header seal. suggest replacing header seal, freedom tops foam kit and left a pillar foam seal and recheck. parts on order"

so it looks like they found it pretty easily - now we'll see if this fixes it or not

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good luck! Mine was "fixed". Took 2 months to get new carpet. Guess what, new carpet is soaked! Will probably take it back but last time they had it for 8 days... seriously considering yanking the carpet and doing bedliner. :nonono:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 2014 2dr that a has been to the dealership 8 times for seal replacements (both hard and soft top)

I went from having no leaks to 3 very bad leaks in a matter of one rain storm. Both the driver and passenger front and rear floor mats were soaked and the rear seat cup holders were both filled to the top with water.

The dealership replaced all the seals around the doors and hard top. After that trip I had to deal with the drivers side front door leak.

Luckily I havnt had a bad leak in a while. I still keep a towel rolled up on the floor just incase. Leaks are weird and come and go as they please.

I did buy rain gutter add ons for the hard top but never installed them. They are supposed to catch the rain before it drips down the front door seal.

Im convinced that the jk doors arent also set properly to the frame, thats why so many people are getting leaks. I adjusted my rear door catches in about an 1/8" of an inch and that seemed to correct any water running down the inside door seals toward the back seats.

Did you check out the Water Leak thread in the sticky part of the Tech Form? Chrysler Leak Diagnostics Manual is posted there as well some helpful tips on leaks too.

Best of luck with your leak problem, hopefully it gets resolved.

·
Administrator
19,430 Posts
When I wash my Jeep (not very often :)) I use tire shine on a rag and wipe down all the top seals. That's always fixed whatever small leaks I would get.

I also don't use the rear screws under normal operation, when over-tightened they will pull the front edge of the panel up a little and create a leak. I only use the rear screws when I'm running freedom panels ONLY (i.e. no rear top)

Hope they get yours fixed @d_rick :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
8,479 Posts
I have a 2014 2dr that a has been to the dealership 8 times for seal replacements (both hard and soft top)

I went from having no leaks to 3 very bad leaks in a matter of one rain storm. Both the driver and passenger front and rear floor mats were soaked and the rear seat cup holders were both filled to the top with water.

The dealership replaced all the seals around the doors and hard top. After that trip I had to deal with the drivers side front door leak.

Luckily I havnt had a bad leak in a while. I still keep a towel rolled up on the floor just incase. Leaks are weird and come and go as they please.

I did buy rain gutter add ons for the hard top but never installed them. They are supposed to catch the rain before it drips down the front door seal.

Im convinced that the jk doors arent also set properly to the frame, thats why so many people are getting leaks. I adjusted my rear door catches in about an 1/8" of an inch and that seemed to correct any water running down the inside door seals toward the back seats.

Did you check out the Water Leak thread in the sticky part of the Tech Form? Chrysler Leak Diagnostics Manual is posted there as well some helpful tips on leaks too.

Do you have a link or info on the "rain gutter add-ons?" I'd like to pass it along to a friend. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck! Mine was "fixed". Took 2 months to get new carpet. Guess what, new carpet is soaked! Will probably take it back but last time they had it for 8 days... seriously considering yanking the carpet and doing bedliner. :nonono:
i asked about carpet replacement as i literally have standing water on both sides (even after getting back from dealership), they wouldn't commit to that until they "fixed" the leaks. i'm also thinking about going down that road, will keep you updated on where i end up

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

wow - 8 times? how many of those were hard top related vs soft?

i assume the rain gutters would only be relevant for the hard top, is that a Mopar part of aftermarket? Also, did you not ever install them because you went from HT to ST, or for a different reason?

completely agree on the doors, have been underwhelmed with the fitment and quality in that regard on what is a brand new vehicle. and before you all start yelling at me, yes i know this a Jeep not a luxury vehicle. i just happen to think that the doors should shut and seal correctly.

i did take a look at the thread and manual, which was helpful. it sounds like what dealer found is consistent with what's in the manual (which is quite old).

thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put this on the seal around my door. it keeps my jeep from leaking for about three or four months. Not a permanent fix but it works very well
interesting - is the implication here that the seals are drying out and thus causing the leaks?

thanks for the suggestion!

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I wash my Jeep (not very often :)) I use tire shine on a rag and wipe down all the top seals. That's always fixed whatever small leaks I would get.

I also don't use the rear screws under normal operation, when over-tightened they will pull the front edge of the panel up a little and create a leak. I only use the rear screws when I'm running freedom panels ONLY (i.e. no rear top)

Hope they get yours fixed @d_rick :thumb:
hey @Blue Baby Sound long time no chat! same question here, it seems like the implication is that the seals dry out and as such lose effectiveness?

the screws are interesting - so to be clear are you suggesting that when you run the hard top, you are just using the handles to lock the top in and not using the screws at all (or rather just not tightening them)? i've not tried to remove the rear hard top yet as we have no roof winch or anywhere to stow it, so my experience to date has just been in removing the front panels. even that has only been done 1/2 dozen times, and the seals all looked good at that point.

great information as usual @BBS, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Water leak update - got rig back from dealership today. From work order:

"checked customer concern using rain simulator, was able to see water going into the drivers floor. was able to find star s15230000031 related to concern. was able to see water passing through header seal. suggest replacing header seal, freedom tops foam kit and left a pillar foam seal and recheck. parts on order"

so it looks like they found it pretty easily - now we'll see if this fixes it or not
update - dealership called me yesterday and the new seal kits are already in, appointment is set for next week to get them installed.

·
Administrator
19,430 Posts
hey @Blue Baby Sound long time no chat! same question here, it seems like the implication is that the seals dry out and as such lose effectiveness?

the screws are interesting - so to be clear are you suggesting that when you run the hard top, you are just using the handles to lock the top in and not using the screws at all (or rather just not tightening them)? i've not tried to remove the rear hard top yet as we have no roof winch or anywhere to stow it, so my experience to date has just been in removing the front panels. even that has only been done 1/2 dozen times, and the seals all looked good at that point.

great information as usual @BBS, thanks!
correctamundo, no screws at all, just the handles. If you decide to use the screws make sure they're just snug, don't tighten them down too hard.

Here's a thread that discusses it some:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/hardtop-freedom-panel-screw-thingys-1282257.html

Hope you're doing well :thumb:

·
Registered
161 Posts
i asked about carpet replacement as i literally have standing water on both sides (even after getting back from dealership), they wouldn't commit to that until they "fixed" the leaks. i'm also thinking about going down that road, will keep you updated on where i end up
I'm headed to the dealership in a few so they can yank the carpet out of it now so it's not ruined. Appt for next weds to try again (visit #2). Would be easier if they just bedlined it for me and we can move on. haha...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.