Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 JKU 75th Edition, 2" Mopar lift 1" spacer lift, Ultimate Dana 44 front, Front and rear locker,
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 JKU and purchased a key fob on line. I do have the two original keys. I took my new blank key fob to the dealer to be cut. They cut it and said the put in the code. The new key will start the jeep but I have not left it running for a long time yet. My question is how do I program the lock, unlock, remote start and panic buttons on the new key. I have read the steps to take with the two original keys but am a little confused with the code they put in.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
971 Posts
When I bought my 14 JKUS it came with 1 key fob and 1 just chipped key that would start the jeep but not work the other features on the remote key fob. Knowing the expense and hassle of replacing a lost key if you only have one I ordered a replacement key fob on line, had it cut at a local key shop, I then programmed using the 2 working key method and low and behold it not only programmed the new key but also all the functions on the new fob as well

·
Registered
2016 JKU 75th Edition, 2" Mopar lift 1" spacer lift, Ultimate Dana 44 front, Front and rear locker,
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just confused that they said they coded the key. I just don't want to mess up the new key. I was planning to do the 2 key method and just wanted them to cut the key since I was there. I will try the 2 original key method tonight when I get home. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I was just confused that they said they coded the key. I just don't want to mess up the new key. I was planning to do the 2 key method and just wanted them to cut the key since I was there. I will try the 2 original key method tonight when I get home. Thanks for your help.
That point stood out to me too.

It almost sounds like the third key+fob is now a clone of either the first or second. That will work, but only up to a point. That's because the Jeep can't tell the difference between an original key+fob, and its clone.

For example, if you try to do any programming with your Jeep, the Jeep will think the clone key is you just dumbly reinserting the 1st (or 2nd) key again by accident and reject it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Just for general information when you "program" a new key you are not programming the the new key but rather you are programming the Jeep to accept the new key, thus the limit on the number of keys you can program to accept.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts