Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing to replace the stock 130 Head Unit in a 2016 Jeep Wrangler as part of a complete system upgrade including the following components:

Pioneer AVH-4200NEX Head Unit
Alpine KTP-445A 4-Channel Amplifier
Kicker HS-8 Compact Powered Sub
4 Kicker77KICK10 6.5" Speakers - 2 in dash, 2 in soundbar
4 Kicker 77KICK25AB 3.5" Speakers - 2 in dash, 2 in soundbar

I ordered the Maestro RR and CH1 wiring harness in order to retain Steering Wheel controls, UConnect, etc, and looking at the wiring diagram, I have some questions about the speaker wiring...

Some Jeep forum posters have suggested replacing all of the factory speakers with the Kickers, which I'm planning, and using the Alpine AMP to power the 6.5" Kickers while allowing the Pioneer head unit to power the 3.5" Kickers, which makes sense since it's just a 4-channel AMP, so powering the 4 larger speakers would have it working at the desired 4 ohms.

If that's the plan, how do I deal with the wiring? My assumption would be to wire the 6.5" Kickers directly to the Alpine AMP and only wire the 3.5" Kickers to the wire harness for Pioneer head unit. If I'm just swapping out the Kickers and keeping the existing connections, does that make things easier, or do I have to run new cables from the speakers to the Alpine AMP? Do I also have to do any other wiring to the AMP for the Maestro to work properly? And if I wanted to wire all 8 speakers to the AMP would that work? Looking for some expert advice on the right path forward.

Looks like there aren't enough speaker wires going to the main harness that plugs into the Pioneer head....ie there's a wire for 'Left Front +' and a wire for 'Left Front -' but there are 2 speakers for Left Front - a 6.5" AND a 3.5"

Maybe I'm missing something - would appreciate any comment/clarification/advice that any one might have so I can ensure that I get this wired and working correctly....

Please be gentle - I'm not an expert! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Correction - the Alpine AMP is the KTP-445U, not the KTP-445A, which is just for Alpine heads. The 'U' is the Universal AMP for aftermarket heads....

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do you like the Pioneer 4200NEX? I'm thinking about getting one, but haven't seen many reviews yet. I installed the four 6.5" Kickers in my '16 JKUS, but nothing else (I had the base system w/130). Skipping an amp/sub for now. I'd really like to get the 4200NEX, but having a tough time pulling the trigger w/the lack of reviews yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do you like the Pioneer 4200NEX? I'm thinking about getting one, but haven't seen many reviews yet. I installed the four 6.5" Kickers in my '16 JKUS, but nothing else (I had the base system w/130). Skipping an amp/sub for now. I'd really like to get the 4200NEX, but having a tough time pulling the trigger w/the lack of reviews yet.
How do you like the Kickers?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would strongly advise against the idea of eight different coaxial speakers for a few reasons. First, you are going to get a lot of the same frequencies out of all eight speakers and more doesn't always mean better. Secondly, it will be really hard to tune all eight speakers especially considering that you have two different power sources. Finally, you are going to have to run all new wiring for at least one group of the four speakers. If you are going to get that involved then get two sets of components(front and rear) and run a dedicated 4-channel to them. You will get better sound, staging and tuning capabilities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts