Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered several times but I’m not finding info I need. I’m looking at installing the premium alpine speakers and in floor sub on my daughters Jeep. I have all components minus the in dash amp. Can anyone give me direction on what amp(s) I should buy to run system ? Also are there harness out ther to make this a more plug and play instead of splicing wires? The head unit is a 430n. I have seen on this forum that others have done this so was hoping to get some direction.

Thx...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just replaced all the speakers and added an AMP by purchasing the pac harness for the SUB only. The pac harness gives you outputs for an amp, which I placed under the passenger seat. You still need power from the battery for the amp directly.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
A true retrofit is a pita, and likely expensive too.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/...ium-stereo-system-in-my-2015-jku-1586778.html

If it were me, I would start with something better than a 430N (like Alpine's WRA upgrades), add aftermarket speakers, amplifier(s) and a subwoofer.

If you already have everything minus the factory amp and harnesses (the most difficult part), I would consider going with aftermarket amplifiers- a 4 channel for front/rear plus a mono amp for the subwoofers. Much cheaper, potentially better performance and a much easier interface.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I seen that video sometime ago. Insanity to me.

The only thing I am using from the factory system is speakers and sub because I already have them from a barter some time ago. I am going with a new Alpine HU (ILX 650 or ILX207) to drive front and rear speakers. Putting in a 200-300RMS mono amp to drive the sub.

I don't want anything to crazy as this is my 16 year old daughters Jeep.

I assume I still need to put crossovers in for the mids and highs. Can anyone recommend which ones I should get?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the alpine pwe-s8, two pairs of alpine spv-65x and a kta-30fw. Got a good deal slightly used facebook marketplace. I had a pioneer 5200nex before the install. Everything was a relatively easy install with minimal wiring

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yes I seen that video sometime ago. Insanity to me.

The only thing I am using from the factory system is speakers and sub because I already have them from a barter some time ago. I am going with a new Alpine HU (ILX 650 or ILX207) to drive front and rear speakers. Putting in a 200-300RMS mono amp to drive the sub.

I don't want anything to crazy as this is my 16 year old daughters Jeep.

I assume I still need to put crossovers in for the mids and highs. Can anyone recommend which ones I should get?

Thanks
Mike
Crossovers, to work properly, should be tailor-made for the speakers you are using (or be infinitely adjustable electronic crossovers). For the Alpine upgrade speakers you have, crossover functions were done in the factory amp. Those head units should have some crossover functions built-in, but will be designed to cross over 4 channels in pairs rather than 8- the 3.5" Alpine upper dash and sound bar high frequency drivers (we can't quite call them a true tweeter) will need a relatively high high-pass filter aka crossover. The 6.5" lower dash and sound bar speakers will need both a high-pass filter and a low pass filter applied to them, so they don't try to play the highest frequencies, and don't try to play down below about 60hz.

A capable DSP will cost a lot, and you'd need more channels than some of the affordable options will allow. You could get two modestly priced 4 channel amps with built-in crossover functions to power those 3.5" and 6.5" speakers separately and retain fader functions, and tuck the amps away after set-up.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_150093_Precision-Power-TRAX4.1200D.html

^^ two of something like this should get you where you need to be without breaking the bank, or throwing too much power at the OEM Alpine speakers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts