Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to remove those stupid warning stickers on the visors of a 2016? I removed the drivers side on my 2012 and damn near destroyed it, but the new one is different, more plastic.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I removed them on a 2015. Used 91% isopropyl alcohol and some Q tips to dab around the edge to start it peeling, then keep dabbing it while slowly peeling it back. Took awhile to get it off but well worth it. Used goof off to get the remaining residue off. Came out great, have pics in my build thread.

·
Registered
356 Posts
There are some stickers (I think on eBay) that are kind of comical that I believe would be a perfect fit to cover them up. Looks like a warning label but are meant to be funny.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I used liquid brown shoe polish and stained them. Still there still readable a lot less noticeable. They are no longer bright white .

Sounds dumb but try it. If you like it you spent 5 minutes . Hate it the take them off or spend money switching them.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I also used the alcohol and peel method. After you get an edge keep wetting the glue edge with alcohol. A couple of times I had to lightly hit it with a hair drier. Just be cared with the heat, it could easily melt the visor.

Came out great and I'm really happy I did this. Every now and then I look up and think... "Man. It would suck to still have those obnoxious stickers up there."

·
Registered
581 Posts
I removed them on a 2015. Used 91% isopropyl alcohol and some Q tips to dab around the edge to start it peeling, then keep dabbing it while slowly peeling it back. Took awhile to get it off but well worth it. Used goof off to get the remaining residue off. Came out great, have pics in my build thread.
+1

After the sticker is removed keep using the 91% alcohol and a clean microfiber rag to remove the residue.
Keep rotating the rag to a clean area with fresh 91%...repeat.
Then finish off with 303 Aerospace and there should be no sign that the sticker was ever there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2017 decals

Coming in late on this one, but just as an update for the current year, I just completed this with my 2017 JKU. I used the "regular" 70% rubbing alcohol (I already had it) and a few q-tips. Scratch at a corner while dabbing a soaked q-tip at it, and the corner will release. Keep soaking the q-tip and pushing it against the decal (from behind) and pulling. I would soak the q-tip and run it back and forth over the whole peel-edge (the part of the decal still attached to the visor) while firmly pulling-away the decal. KEEP THE EDGE WET with alcohol. If you stop wetting it, it will STOP releasing, and you can tear the decal. Not a big deal if you do (start picking a new corner), but it slows you down.

Did the driver's and passenger's side in about 35 minutes. I just poured a little alcohol in the alcohol bottle screw-on lid and dabbed the q-tip in repeatedly. Eventually the tip gets worn-out and floppy, so flip it over and use the other side. It will give-in too, so bring a few q-tips with you. Easy-peasy - kept the visors on and just kept after them. I'll look at them in daylight tomorrow and clean up any left over residue with more alcohol and a clean rag.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Coming in late on this one, but just as an update for the current year, I just completed this with my 2017 JKU. I used the "regular" 70% rubbing alcohol (I already had it) and a few q-tips. Scratch at a corner while dabbing a soaked q-tip at it, and the corner will release. Keep soaking the q-tip and pushing it against the decal (from behind) and pulling. I would soak the q-tip and run it back and forth over the whole peel-edge (the part of the decal still attached to the visor) while firmly pulling-away the decal. KEEP THE EDGE WET with alcohol. If you stop wetting it, it will STOP releasing, and you can tear the decal. Not a big deal if you do (start picking a new corner), but it slows you down.

Did the driver's and passenger's side in about 35 minutes. I just poured a little alcohol in the alcohol bottle screw-on lid and dabbed the q-tip in repeatedly. Eventually the tip gets worn-out and floppy, so flip it over and use the other side. It will give-in too, so bring a few q-tips with you. Easy-peasy - kept the visors on and just kept after them. I'll look at them in daylight tomorrow and clean up any left over residue with more alcohol and a clean rag.
Thanks for the reminder. Will do this in the morning. :Thanx:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Quick update. Definitely use 91% over the 70%. It goes quicker pulling top to bottom vs side to side (less give). Thanks again everyone, they look amazing!

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Clean-up

Checked the visors in the daylight today and found a decent amount of residue. Used two rags to clean them - one I soaked a portion and liberally applied alcohol to the visor and scrubbed it, and the other I used to wipe the visor until it was completely dry. I had to soak/scrub/dry each one several times to get it all off. Only when the visor is dry can you see where any residue is left.

I found that I was scrubbing hard on spots, but that I wasn't keeping those spots wet. Keep soaking the part of the rag you are using to scrub - keep the area wet - and you will make faster progress. Scrub smart not hard.

Before (Passenger):

After (Driver):

After (Passenger):

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
JeepyJeeperson - your photos are just small circles with bars in them.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Whats weird is, those pics "were" there. I saw them..... Hmmmmm

1 - 20 of 41 Posts