Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at a stop sign right past train tracks, I go to pull out and I get nothing. Engine is running but I'm going nowhere. The cars behind me on the tracks start beeping. I try putting it in 4 wheel and slowly the front wheels drag me away far enough.

Anyone ever have back wheels lock up like this? Any idea what it could be?

With no clue, I have a tow truck take me to the closest Jeep dealer. Even in neutral, only front tires spin. I'm under the 5 year 60,000 powertrain warranty so I figured I have to go to a dealer. But it's 6 days now and they haven't even looked at it. Very frustrated. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Well, it's either the rear diff or the TC. Pulling the rear DS will tell what it is. But if you put it in 4x4 that would lock the F&R driveshafts together making it not possible for the ft to move. Tell the dealer you will need a loaner to get him moving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Asked for a loaner but was told they don't have any available. I didn't buy from this dealer.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Get on the loaner list and check it daily. They don't want to give you one.

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,467 Posts
So I'm at a stop sign right past train tracks, I go to pull out and I get nothing. Engine is running but I'm going nowhere. The cars behind me on the tracks start beeping. I try putting it in 4 wheel and slowly the front wheels drag me away far enough.

Anyone ever have back wheels lock up like this? Any idea what it could be?

With no clue, I have a tow truck take me to the closest Jeep dealer. Even in neutral, only front tires spin. I'm under the 5 year 60,000 powertrain warranty so I figured I have to go to a dealer. But it's 6 days now and they haven't even looked at it. Very frustrated. Thoughts?
Hi Tall Guy,

I'm very sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your Wrangler. If it would be of interest, I would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for an additional layer of assistance while you work with your dealer. Please follow up with me via private message to get the process started. Hope to hear from you soon!

Mark
JeepCares

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, good news I guess that the manager called me back. Should be able to get it in to diagnose by Monday or Tuesday (it's currently Wednesday and the Wrangler's been there since last Thursday!). I asked to be put on the loaner car list but I'm doubtful I'll be called. I'll keep checking in.
I'll eventually let you all know what the problem is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!
So I got fed up and called another Jeep dealer ... the one I bought from 3 years ago. Should have just had it towed there in the first place but went with the dealer 1 mile away instead of 16 miles away. Not to bash my local dealer, but I'll never make that mistake again.

Decided to pay for another tow from crap dealer to good dealer yesterday. Tow comes and the battery's dead from when crap dealer moved the Wrangler and left a light on. Figures. Anyway, the good dealer gets the car yesterday and calls this morning. I'm "auto-illiterate" but from what I understood, YnotAJeep really knows his stuff! It was the pinion and rear diff, and they should be done on Monday. All covered under warranty, though he did recommend changing fluids on the front diff and I think something with the transfer case (?). Said it would run about $350.

If you can think of any questions I should ask, I'd appreciate it. I'm just really happy with the service at Teterboro (NJ) Jeep. They're my guys from now on.

·
Super Moderator
4,584 Posts
While the oil in the diffs and transfer case does need to be changed, it doesn't need to be changed that often (not like engine oil) and $350 is a lot of money for an hours worth of work and a few quarts of gear oil.
You can change those fluids yourself. If you pay someone, no shame in that. Especially because while the gear oil is easy to change it does smell bad.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I hope they replace all the bearings back there. Doesn't take much to cause damage to them that will cause failure down the road. A bad pinion bearing will lock up a diff.

They have to pull the axles so have them inspect the wheel bearing seals for any signs of leak. Have them shove a rag down the axle tube to get rid of any debris from the failure.

Also, if you want to re gear this would be the time. The rear should be free. A good time to have those cast iron diff covers installed. You will have to break in the new gears and do a oil change at 500 miles so Lube-locker gaskets will make that an easy job. Trust, but verify.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wish I knew this stuff better. They just left me a message that the work is already done. I can pick up from Sales tonight. Hopefully they did a good job. I didn't consider regearing since I don't plan on changing the tire size anytime soon. I have a Sahara and so far it stays on payment.

What should I ask? "Did you change the bearings?" "Did you check the wheel bearing seals for any signs of leaks?"

Thanks. I'll let you know what the receipt says.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Wish I knew this stuff better. They just left me a message that the work is already done. I can pick up from Sales tonight. Hopefully they did a good job. I didn't consider regearing since I don't plan on changing the tire size anytime soon. I have a Sahara and so far it stays on payment.

What should I ask? "Did you change the bearings?" "Did you check the wheel bearing seals for any signs of leaks?"

Thanks. I'll let you know what the receipt says.
Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless you have issues. Works done. I am pretty sure they won't tear it apart again with out cause under warranty. Glad you to hear you will be back on the road soon! :)

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
You should get a list of all the parts replaced. Follow the standard gear break in and do a 500 mile oil change. Should be covered.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So looking at my receipt, they replaced the rear differential ring and pinion and side bearings ... covered under warranty.
They recommended and I ok'ed transfer case service for routine maintenance ($132)
They recommended and I ok'ed front differential case service with additive kit ($147)
And looks like they did 2 differential flushes? ($42 each)

He said I'm good to go. No special break in and no need to change fluid in 500 miles. Does that not seem right?

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
So looking at my receipt, they replaced the rear differential ring and pinion and side bearings ... covered under warranty.
They recommended and I ok'ed transfer case service for routine maintenance ($132)
They recommended and I ok'ed front differential case service with additive kit ($147)
And looks like they did 2 differential flushes? ($42 each)

He said I'm good to go. No special break in and no need to change fluid in 500 miles. Does that not seem right?
OEM/DANA gears are forged differently that the break-in is not needed apparently. I wondered this as well as nobody who buys a brand new Jeep does a methodical break in procedure as when most re-gear afterwards. Will follow to see what others say...

·
Registered
822 Posts
OEM/DANA gears are forged differently that the break-in is not needed apparently. I wondered this as well as nobody who buys a brand new Jeep does a methodical break in procedure as when most re-gear afterwards. Will follow to see what others say...

Having bought a lot of new vehicles I have never did a 500 mile service because of the new gears . Also I have never changed oil in a differential and have had over 100,000 miles on some vehicles .

·
Registered
4,603 Posts

Nah.. I don't buy that.

I just replaced my (leaking) front axle seals on a 2017 with no more than 28,000 miles on it.

When I pulled the seals I found nothing wrong with them other than a thick build up of the fine gear dust that you see coming off of new gears (and a higher than normal fill level from the factory). Granted because of the stupidly high oil level from the factory the seals were probably much wetter than they're supposed to be, but in spite of that, had I changed out that diff oil after the first 1000-2000 miles I bet the factory seals would still be going strong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts