Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased a new Unlimited primarily because it seems to be one of the best solutions for flat towing behind an RV. It also meets the weight limits for or 2003 Fleetwood.

One of the posts indicated that Mopar makes a Tow Vehicle Wiring Harness, PN 82211156AB, which is readily available. It looks like a pretty simple install and it gets around all the auxiliary brake lights, extra bulbs in the lamps, or installing diodes.

My question is whether or not this harness also supports the braking system. Also does it come with some form of directions, there isn't anything downloadable that I have found and the dealer wants $100 to install it (it looks like it just plugs in).

Tom

·
Registered
96 Posts
I installed it and the base plate (Blue Ox) on my 2013, and it was not difficult at all. The hard part is drilling a hole in your firewall. There is a thread with step by step directions and photo's that I used at the iRV2 forum. Mopar Wiring harness - Page 2 - iRV2 Forums. Hopefully I did't break any rules by posting the link to it. I deviated from what he did, I removed the side dash cover on the passenger side (The one that faces the door), and was able to get to it and not become acrobatic.
It is a harness for the brake/turn signals, and you must have a 7 pin with 12 volts on the RV as MOPAR used relays in the harness, which get their power from the RV.
I tried the Cool-Tech harness first, had weird electrical issues after I towed with it, so I would avoid it, back feeding the electrical is never a good thing.
As for actual toad brakes, I have 2 Toads, so I use a portable braking system, Even Brake by Roadmaster. My sister uses the AirForce One system in theirs, and if I had only 1 toad I would highly recommend it over the cheaper ones out there, it is better than the one i use. I also use a relay on my brake lights as the Even Brake pushes down on the brake pedal and it will override the turn signals coming from the motorhome. I believe the 2016 requires you to remove the positive battery cable. I would highly recommend you use a battery disconnect switch for ease. Buy a quality one, I have an older version of theMarinco 701 Battery Disconnect Switch that I have moved from 4 previous vehicles and still works like it did when new.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Tom,

The Tow Vehicle Wiring Harness will have nothing to do with adding brakes to your Wrangler. It's just about the lights.

For braking there are a couple of options. The NSA Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar is simple all in one setup with the tow bar based on surge braking concept. The Even Brake by Roadmaster type of box gets placed in your Jeep. It's worth looking at both options. At the weight of a Wrangler you really want an auxiliary braking system.

Here are a few other threads with good info.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/towing-behind-rv-1027881.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/flat-towing-supplemental-brake-systems-616826.html

http://www.amazon.com/NSA-RV-Produc...F8&qid=1455550870&sr=8-1&keywords=ready+brute

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Toad is a tailless amphibian with a short stout body and short legs, typically having dry warty skin that can exude poison. It can also be

Towed is the past tense of tow as in the Jeep was towed behind the motor home.

Reactions: BamaJeeper711

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A toad, which is occasionally spelled towed but this spelling cause grammar checkers to have heart attacks, is a vehicle that is towed behind a motorhome.

After researching the potential vehicles it has become clear that the Wrangle is one of the preferred vehicles for this since the 4WD transfer case has a neutral position. I am also finding out the Jeep actually supports this configuration with a few specialized options that appear to make life easier.

Now ... the important aspect of the Tow Vehicle Wiring Harness is that it plugs into the 7 pin trailer connector on the back of the motorhome (it would also plug into any truck set up to pull a typical camper).

So my question is whether or not the harness has any provision to break out the wire for driving the auxiliary brake system. As I recall it is a single wire driven to some voltage level relative to how hard the brakes are to be applied. If the wire isn't included, how have others implemented the brake signal?

My other question is whether or not buying this harness makes hooking up the RV close to plug and play? What are the steps to go between the Jeep driving the lights and the RV driving the lights when hooking up the tow bar?

I am sorry I wasn't more specific about what I was trying to find out.

This forum has already been a great help as I continue to customize the Wrangler. Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Tom

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Once the harness is installed. It is plug and play. There is a separate cable that comes with the kit that hooks up yo the rvon one end and the harness on the jeep on the other end. Still need a separate connector for activating the brakes. Could be a run on, hard wired or even wireless connection for the brake controller that is separately placed in the jeep. There is also an option of a brake fluid connection from the rv to the mast brake cylinder in the jeep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went through the iRV2 forum posts on . In one of the posts is a PDF of the wiring diagram between the Jeep harness and the RV. Assuming the 7 pin connector isn't molded onto the wiring harness, it should be fairly straight forward to get the brake wire connected to it and routed into the Wrangler's passenger compartment. I noticed there is a ground stud under the driver side front seat so I should only require the power lead.

After reading through the process and some of the headaches some have had, I think I may just pay the dealer to install the cable and be one with it.

Now I need to go through all the recommended brake systems and decide the correct one to use. I also have to pick the controller that goes in the RV. The RV has air brakes which I understand causes interesting problems with many of the systems.

Again, thanks for the help.

Tom

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I went with the Air Force One system and haven't had any problems. It is more expense then some of the others, but worth it me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tow assembly for my Jeep

Still not seeing what I am looking for. I have 2017 Rubicon Hard Rock. I have the nice steel bumper with the steel skid plate. What is the best way to attach the tow bar to this set-up? Should I cut through the skid plate and attach to the frame or do they make a tow hook that attaches to this bumper? I know I can replace the entire bumper but I think I would lose my skid plate. Why buy a new bumper when I have a really nice one already and it's made to hold a wench.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Brakes: RVi brake
Lights: Towmate wireless
Tow point: LoD bumper with welded on tow points

This is the no mess no fuss Toad solution.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tom as usual suspect and bbtj stated the Air Force One system will work great for you since your coach has air brakes. Once everything is set up it will be a 2min job to hook up or disconnect the toad. We used the even brake portable system which takes a little more iMessage to set up and disconnect but was still able to do it in less than 5 min.

·
Registered
17 Posts
tpcf11, Rock Hard company makes tow tabs that work with their bumper. They bolt to the Jeep Frame, Not the bumper for better strength. There might be a way to Fab/Cut/drill through your rubicon bumper to bolt these tabs to the Jeep frame. They make tabs that fit Blue Ox, Reese, and RoadMaster tow bars.
TOWING KITS
This is a link to their site and tow tabs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Brakes: RVi brake
Lights: Towmate wireless
Tow point: LoD bumper with welded on tow points

This is the no mess no fuss Toad solution.
Forgot to mention I run the RVi brake off a DieHard jump starter with a 12volt outlet. Never any concern about killing my Wrangler battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Also use a RVI

I just traded Jeeps. On my old 2door I had a charge line running from my coach to the jeep battery and then a wire from the jeep battery to the RVI. My wiring was through a Blue Ox wiring harness. On my new jeep I am going with the Jeep Mopar harness. I hope to jump off the hot wire coming from my coach that the jeep harness needs to charge the jeep battery and again hook up my RVI to my new Jeep's battery. Anyone see a problem with that? I do plan on fusing the battery connection. Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Forgot to mention I run the RVi brake off a DieHard jump starter with a 12volt outlet. Never any concern about killing my Wrangler battery.
Which model Diehard are you using and how long does it hold a usable charge for your RvI? I run the same setup as yours, but wired in aux bulbs in the tail lights and ran a separate loom up to the bumper, bypassing the factory wiring alltogether.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I kept mine simple. Used the Mopar wiring harness, utilizes the Jeep's internal relays and wiring to the brake/turn signals. Powered by tow vehicle 7 pin.

Then for a tow bar I use the NSA ReadyBrake tow bar. Basically it's a surge brake system that you do have to run a cable through the front and attach to the brake pedal, same for the break-away system. Once it's in, you never know it's there (cable does stick out the front). No worries about electrical connections, controllers failing, toad battery dying, etc. Simple mechanical device. Works great too.

I opted to change out the bumper to a Rock Hard 4x4 adding Blue-Ox tow bar attachments. These could be added to almost any bumper, they bolt through directly to the frame horns. Depending on the bumper and how it's attached, you may be able to use existing holes or drill new ones. I think stock bumpers have studs, so they would have to be cut off and drilled out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Which model Diehard are you using and how long does it hold a usable charge for your RvI? I run the same setup as yours, but wired in aux bulbs in the tail lights and ran a separate loom up to the bumper, bypassing the factory wiring alltogether.
Diehard Platinum 1150

At the end of the day it reports 66% remaining. I forgot to charge mine one time after a long day of driving and made it the second day with no problem. Another RVer with same setup says he goes two days regularly with no issue. We RV and wheel alone and I prefer my Wrangler battery to be in top shape.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts