Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 JKU 75th Anniversary and acquired a set of new 2017 factory LED headlights and fogs

Unlike the sales code 5SX flash addressing the flickering for the led headlight, the LNV sales code did not fix the flickering on the factory led fogs. So I had to go aftermarket to find a solution. Although there are dozens of aftermarket offerings, it was difficult to find an AF (anti-flicker) module with a good fitting 5202/H16 female plug for a factory fog light without having to toy with additional converting plugs.

After a couple of failed attempts with generic brands on amazon and ebay I wanted something more reliable. I found an af set offered by Headlight Revolution and decided to give it a try (part# JW-CAPJK-JEEPFOG)

Out the box, the harness is a block shaped style with both adapter ends coming out the bottom. Block is sealed to keep out water and dirt. The block has a mounting hole on the top which I made use of later. It comes with the plug ends 9005 and 5202/H16 (yellow tip) + a conversion adapter to another 5202/H16 variant. I found it weird that it came with another adapter but realized why later during the install. Picture of af harness with both the factory halogen fog (left) and led fog (right).

Comparison between the two H16 (yellow vs black) plugs may look different but are actually similar in that the holes are lined up enough for the fog light end to fit into it.

Normally the af harness plug ends should be a perfect fit for each other but in this case it isn't, weird. You'll have to force it into the plug for it to fit which explains why folks who bought af modules from other brands with the same yellow H16 plug ends have reported it took a bit of force to get it to fit, so not a true fit.

However, if I plug the black H16 into the fog harness opposite end, it fits perfectly. So this explains why the extra black H16 was included for a true fit.

On with the install... The af was pretty much a simple fitting plug and play.

I wrapped the harness in electric tape and zip-tied the af at the hole mount which helped conceal the af behind the bumper.

I fired up the engine and turned on the fog lights. Voila! No more flickering! What a difference between the halogen and factory LED fogs make.
With factory LED headlights ON, fogs OFF

With factory LED headlights ON, fogs ON

So there you have it, LED fogs finally work properly and what a difference it makes when it all comes together. Headlight Revolution did notify me and said they are working on a revision of the af to have the black H16 adapter ends instead so will have those available soon too. I've been driving with them for a week so only time will test their durability.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks for this.. I ordered the AF harness you pointed out here. I plan on installing the fog lights along with the LED headlights next week. Hopefully FCA comes out with a flash for this so we can just do without the adapters!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this.. I ordered the AF harness you pointed out here. I plan on installing the fog lights along with the LED headlights next week. Hopefully FCA comes out with a flash for this so we can just do without the adapters!
No problem! I should have mentioned don't forget to ask HR to include the additional BLACK H16/5202 adapter variant if they have not had the updated version yet.

Plus another member mentioned they were working with HR on getting a pretty good Wrangler forum member discount code as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just installed this today and for some reason my lights blink a couple of times and then they shut off. Why is it doing this? Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
It actually flashes 4-5 times with 10 seconds or so between each flash then shuts off. It's not like it's strobing, it's just flashing on off then it waits and does it again. Maybe it's a code or something?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, sorry for the late response. One thing I failed to mention was one of my adapter harness was doing the same thing. I ran some tests with it and determined it was the H16 adapter (variant) that was faulty. Through a hunch, I flipped the end of it (still connects properly although it's backwards) and it worked. Note the pic is a BEFORE photo with the wires lined up black-black/red-red, but once you flip it, it should be black-red/black-red if that makes sense. Give it a try and let me know if that helped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I contacted HR and they're actually making me a harness to try. They have been super helpful throughout this. It's actually both of my lights though, so could both of my harness's be faulty? Will try this on Sunday night when I get back to my Jeep

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mopar Factory LED Issue

So i have a pair of brand new Mopar LED Fog lights.

Installed them on my 2017 Willys, 3 week old JKU. Of course i got the flicker.

i tried some xprite Anti Flicker and those did not work.

I came across this post and the recommendation for HR. Contacted them and they said yup we have the adapter and harness you need for this configuration.

The shiny $90 harness's came today.

STILL have the flicker :(

i tried reversing those wires like shown in the post, then got no lights. Went back to the other way, after a few mins of flickering the one anti-flicker device literally exploded....

any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you ever figure out why your AF exploded?

·
Registered
17 Posts

I came across this post and the recommendation for HR. Contacted them and they said yup we have the adapter and harness you need for this configuration.

STILL have the flicker

i tried reversing those wires like shown in the post, then got no lights. Went back to the other way, after a few mins of flickering the one anti-flicker device literally exploded....

I will be trying the same install with the same HR AF harness and adapters. Hoping all will go well, but I do want to learn from other's experiences dealing with the issues related to this configuration.

·
Registered
4 Posts

STILL have the flicker :(

Sounds like you accidentally had the polarity to the AF harness reversed. There's a capacitor in there and if you reverse polarity that Cap blows up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just installed the 2017 oem led fogs in my 2016 jku, and no flicker!!! Had the HR AF kit and adapter harness ready to install, but thought I would plug the fogs in directly first. No flicker! What gives?? I am confused.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Correction- Flicker? Yes!

Just installed the 2017 oem led fogs in my 2016 jku, and no flicker!!! Had the HR AF kit and adapter harness ready to install, but thought I would plug the fogs in directly first. No flicker! What gives?? I am confused.
Well, they started flickering as soon as I backed out of my garage and started driving down the road. Will install the AF tomorrow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's one for you guys. When there is no AF harness, it flickers, when the AF is wired backwards it flickers and shuts off, when it's all wired in right, nothing happens.
Thoughts?
2015 putting in OEM 2017 Fog.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Was just about to pull the trigger on this harness and now I'm a little uncertain. What's going on here? This should be a simple no problem solution to the flicker.

edit- the part number on their site, 17JK-OEMLED-ANTIFLICKER, is different from the one the OP posted. I wonder what the difference is and who here has what part?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have both the af device and harness installed on my Jeep. No issues works great. Was plug and play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Installed the 2017 OEM led fogs on a 2015 JKU Sahara and no luck with the Headlight Revolution AF harness. Faulty batch but now they are out of stock until they figure out the problem. No dealer flash available so does anyone have an alternative product to get rid of the flicker that is plug and play.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for the late response everyone. I have the HR harness and all I had were issues. I recommended them to make a harness with the same adapter male and female ends so there wasn't that extra 6 inches of wires. They didn't want to because they said there wasn't enough demand or something. Anywho, I think that extra adapter that you need to actually plug in your fog lights is the problem. I had to jam the wires into the ends to get a better connection and now they work perfectly. Now I didn't jam the connector into the fog light. I took the little 6 inch wire adapter attached to nothing and pushed the red and black wires farther down into the black connectors on either side. I don't think the connection was very good with these dinky little things. That's all I did and now mine work flawlessly. I wish they would have taken my advice and made a anti flicker harness with the same connectors on the Jeep, but you have to get that extra piece of shit adapter thing. I added some pictures to better explain. I grabbed the red and black wires and pushed them farther into the black connectors and that seemed to fix it. I've had them working for a good month now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts