Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally decided to go ahead with ordering a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited. I've been building them online to see what I would want with what model and compare the prices. From what I gather, the Big Bear is the most cost efficient. I was thinking of adding options to it, and now I'm thinking just get one bare bones. Some of what I am thinking of adding are the trac-lok rear differential and the 3.73 gear ratio.

I'm not really sure what the trac-lok is. I understand that it's like a limited slip but is it worth the additional $500 or should I just get an after market one?

Right now, I'm leaning towards just going to go with the standard 3.21 gear ratio. That is because I want to lift it and put bigger tires (thinking 37s) on it and I'll just have to change the gear ratio anyway.

The reason I'm leaning towards the big bear is because of the power windows, which I'd prefer with 4 doors, the premium soft top, and the connectivity group. Adding those to a sport or sport s brings the price to around the big bear, but the black on the big bear looks better.

Does this sound like it's a good strategy? What other factory features do you recommend? Also, what websites do youse recommend for accessories? I know of extreme terrain and quadratec.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is. I was initially told I can still get one, now I was told I can't and if I special order one it would be a 2018. So I guess I'm waiting till the 2018s get released, whenever that's gonna be. Fingers crossed my car doesn't blow up before!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I was about to say... order windows just recently closed.
Pretty sure they open again sometime late August? Your dealer should be able to tell you.
Production won't begin until sometime later in September I believe.
If you peruse the current "2017 Waiting Room" thread, that should give you some idea on timelines.

·
Registered
986 Posts
It is. I was initially told I can still get one, now I was told I can't and if I special order one it would be a 2018. So I guess I'm waiting till the 2018s get released, whenever that's gonna be. Fingers crossed my car doesn't blow up before!
Bad news: You are a month late to the party.

The order window for all of the most popular Wrangler models and options is already closed for the year.

The Big Bear ended ordering in April. Nothing like it will not be returning for 2018.

----------------

Good news: the 2018 order books will be opening in August tentatively, September at the latest.

Go here and read it all:
2018 Wrangler JK Information Thread - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Reactions: Lloydrage

·
Registered
578 Posts
Jeep is bad with their Build Website, models are removed from ordering at the dealer level, but Jeep does not remove them on the website. What ever you do get the Led Lights, expensive but well worth it. No telling what special editions Jeep will offer on the 2018's when ordering startup again, you might have to re-think which editions there will be to choose from.

trainman

·
Premium Member
2017 JKUR
1,163 Posts
Third the LEDS. Also I love my half doors

Reactions: Incognito_

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Jeep is bad with their Build Website, models are removed from ordering at the dealer level, but Jeep does not remove them on the website.
The primary purpose of their Website is to sell vehicles that are on dealer lots (notice, there is no "add to chart"). You can still "build" a model as long as the subsequent search doesn't come up zero.

Reactions: Incognito_

·
Registered
986 Posts
Third the LEDS. Also I love my half doors
Heck yeah!

My only "regret" buying a 2017 is that the 2018 Willys will have the locking rear axle as an option.
Purple isn't an option on the Willys though, so it's all good.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The primary purpose of their Website is to sell vehicles that are on dealer lots (notice, there is no "add to chart"). You can still "build" a model as long as the subsequent search doesn't come up zero.
Which is what happened to me.

There wasn't a single 3.73 geared, 6-speed, 1/2 doored purple Wrangler on any dealer's lot in America.

I had to order and wait. It was worth it. :happyyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I thing there is a limit on regearing the 3.21. Maybe the size of the carrier?

This could be something in the past, or something I misread.

I would love confirmation.

Richard

1 - 13 of 13 Posts