Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I own a, '18 JK Recon with factory hard top and it is dry as a bone. This post is for my lovely lady, Lisa. She has a 2107 JK Winter Edition with, of course, the painted hard top. We bought it at the end of March of this year with 1,810 miles on it. Basically brand new; the PO had an income issue and sold it, among other vehicles, to a Chevy dealer south of us. Not a spot of rust or an issue anywhere. The JK has not been to the dealer for any issue outside of this leaking problem.

It is not lifted, running factory rims and tires, and the only modification at all was just done this weekend when I installed J.W. Speaker TS4000 lights on the bumper.

At the end of April she purchased a Sunrider top from BesTop. From the first rain after the install, the interior has gotten wet. We treated the weather stripping, all around the JK, with the purple Gumbi stuff as I do to mine several times per year. I tried the NAPA weather stripping seal for sunroofs with no success. I added extra foam around the doors and no luck. She made a dealer appointment and they would not help her until she put the freedom panels back on.

With the freedom panels back on, she took it in on 28MAY. 55395275AW was installed. Dealer said it stopped leaking. We still had water coming in with the freedom panels so we tried the Sunrider again. Still leaks. In a car wash, in a good rain, or with a hose. Water came in several spots around both doors though more so on the driver's side.

We installed the TMR hinge liners thinking they might help with no change. I installed them on my JK the same day and no leaks / changes to my doors.

Freedom panels went back on and after a few months of dealing with it being wet she made another dealer appointment. Note the Sunrider has not been on since before this appointment - only the freedom panels 24/7. Dealer installed 68027813AA and said it stopped the leak. JK was there for three days total.

29OCT another appointment was made. JK was there until 13NOV. They again verified it was leaking. They installed 68088055AB, 68053426AA and 55397454AM. They said the leak was fixed. It was not. Under the same work order after Thanksgiving they installed 68026937AB and 55395275AW. They also adjusted the driver's door, which we can see because the paint around the hinge screws is chipped off and was not repainted.

Lisa has since opened a case with Jeep Cares. There is a tentative appointment next Monday for the JK to go in again, to the same dealer. They are requesting a regional technician to come and look at it. The inservice date of the JK 31MAY17. We are just over 14,000 miles on it.

Is there any option we have if the repair is not done correctly this time? We are the second owners and it would have been Certified Used if at a FCA dealer. Lisa is starting to get quite frustrated because the floor mats and carpet are soaked every time we have rain or the snow melts. My Recon is our off-road vehicle. She loves the JK and it is more of a DD for her.

Thank you for any help you can offer. I know this is a long post but I laid out everything I know to see if we have any way of ensuring this issue is fixed or Jeep makes it right before the warranty runs out next year.

All the best in 2020!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Yeah my drivers side door doesn't close perfect every time. I've decided thats the source of my leak. It causes water to get in from the corner of the door closest to the A-pillar. The water goes down behind the A-pillar and ends up pooling on the floor mat. Very annoying, but I'm hoping a door adjustment will help.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah my drivers side door doesn't close perfect every time. I've decided thats the source of my leak. It causes water to get in from the corner of the door closest to the A-pillar. The water goes down behind the A-pillar and ends up pooling on the floor mat. Very annoying, but I'm hoping a door adjustment will help.
She has water coming in two or three spots on the driver's side and one spot on the passenger. Her JK meets with the regional guy on Tuesday / Wednesday next week. What is the best technique to adjust these doors?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
She has water coming in two or three spots on the driver's side and one spot on the passenger. Her JK meets with the regional guy on Tuesday / Wednesday next week. What is the best technique to adjust these doors?

I literally just grabbed the bottom of the drivers door and lifted up with some force for about 3 seconds. The door closes a little smoother and easier now. Won’t know about the rain for awhile though. It might make it worse for all I know.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts

I literally just grabbed the bottom of the drivers door and lifted up with some force for about 3 seconds. The door closes a little smoother and easier now. Won’t know about the rain for awhile though. It might make it worse for all I know.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I get more dust coming in if the vent is set on recirculate. I think a vacuum is created inside the cab because of the exhauster in the rear gate.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Take a look at this OEM leak repair manual before you go in for your appointment.
Maybe you can find the leak, or at least you will know what you/they are talking about when they try to bull$hit you.
I fixed my JK leaks with this manual, and a roll of NAPA camper tape.
What I found, it the freedom panels, and the top itself do not have much area for the door seals to contact. I ran a strip of camper top tape across the sealing area on the panels where the the door seal contacts the top and freedom panels and it stopped my leaking.
In a high pressure car wash, it will leak a little bit. I just have a towel with me if I go to a drive through.
Good luck, and Happy New Year

Reactions: Mudman1

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take a look at this OEM leak repair manual before you go in for your appointment.
Maybe you can find the leak, or at least you will know what you/they are talking about when they try to bull$hit you.
I fixed my JK leaks with this manual, and a roll of NAPA camper tape.
What I found, it the freedom panels, and the top itself do not have much area for the door seals to contact. I ran a strip of camper top tape across the sealing area on the panels where the the door seal contacts the top and freedom panels and it stopped my leaking.
In a high pressure car wash, it will leak a little bit. I just have a towel with me if I go to a drive through.
Good luck, and Happy New Year
Downloaded it! Thank you very much. I had no idea such a manual existed. I tried using some strips of foam. Thin, medium and thick, over the summer. Ran a continuous piece all along the freedom panel as you described with no success. I know the dealer shoved more rods inside the door weather stripping to firm it up. Almost feels like aluminum with how much they have in it.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Here's a link to the tape I use as well.
This stuff really does work great.
I run it across the top of the freedom panel where the door seal contacts, and down the back of the door seal area as well.
NAPA Camper Top Tape

Reactions: Mudman1

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tuesday is the day that she takes it in to the dealer. Wednesday the regional rep is supposed to look at it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts