Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just picked up my new 2017 JKU w/ hardtop a few weeks ago. When I drive around with all of the windows rolled up I get this terrible pressure in my head/ears almost like I am taking off on an airplane. I have never experienced anything like this driving. Checked tailgate vents and freedom panel alignment and everything looks ok. Has anyone ever experienced or heard of something like this? Thanks

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
So with all windows up, doors on and hard top on you're getting that type of pressure? Odd, only time I've felt that is with the windows down a bit or the freedom panels off.

Is your A/C or blower on or off, or does that even matter? You might take a new one from the dealer out for a spin and see if you get the same feeling and see if the dealer can notice it too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I recall that when I first got mine. I got used to it and don't notice it anymore. In my case, it's less to do with pressure, more to do with the resonance of the top (acting like a giant subwoofer). I'll get the Mopar headliners this fall, so that may also change it a bit.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
My '16 hard top tends to be fairly 'airtight'. (Even with the rear vent).

When the freedom panels and the top are on, I notice that I have to give the driver's door a good push to get it to close properly. But, if the tops are off or another door, or the rear gate is open, the driver's door requires noticeably less force to close.

Despite that, I haven't noticed any internal pressure while driving.. And my ears are very sensitive to pressure changes. They pop like crazy when I'm driving in mountains or even up and down steep hills.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have hot headliners with sound assassin strips that I just installed and that did not fix the problem (they look really nice though). Thing is I can't put my finger on whether or not the issue is strictly hardtop vibration related. If it is vibration I will be able to fix the issue eventually, or just get a soft top. What I have noticed (as suggested by another member) is when I shut all the windows and doors and put the air on full blast to check for air leaks...air is pissing out of the hard top on the rear above the passenger tail light. Doors are still hard to shut so the seal seems good. Maybe the car not being completely air tight is allowing the pressure to fluctuate while driving?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The jeep has a tailgate vent that allows air to flow out under the spare tire. If your air is leaving between the tub and the hard top, is there a chance that the vent is covered up?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob,

No chance the rear tailgate vent is blocked. I looked in there with a light when I was checking for leaks and the vents were open and air was coming out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts