Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

After reading Buildit’s thread and a few others on here; I’m hooked! So I figured I would start a Build Thread of my own.

I'd like to introduce everyone to The Scarlet Witch! My wife and I call her Wanda for short.

After tons of reading and youtube videos along with endless support from Other_Erik here, I've come up with where I want to take Wanda in her transformation. The end game is for Wanda to be able to tackle most trails including Rubicon one day. My wife and I have discussed completing the Badge of Honor Trails as a bucket list item.

So the list I have below is subject to change in the future. Please let me know what parts I’m missing since I’m still very new to this. Also I plan to do most of the wrenching myself with the help from my Brother-In-Law and Best Friend two doors down. Both are great mechanics.

Planned Build Specs as of October 31, 2017:

• EVO Manufacturing Front LCG Coilover Kit - JK
• EVO Manufacturing Dana 44 LCG Bolt-On Coilover Kit w/EVO Spec Coilovers
• EVO Manufacturing Double D Long Arm Upgrade Kit - JK
• King Rear Air Bumps
• Nitto Trail Grappler 37x12.50R-17LT Tire
• KMC Wheels XD229 Machete Beadlock Satin Black Wheel 17x9 5X5
• Magnaflow Rock Crawler Series Cat-Back Exhaust 2.5in
• Banks Engineering Ram-Air Intake System
• LOD JK Destroyer Full-Width Front Bumper
• LOD JK Destroyer Full-Width Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier and all accessories
• LOD JK Destroyer Series Rock Sliders (Undecided)
• EVO MFG Vacuum Pump Relocation Bracket
• EVO MFG Skidplate System
• EVO Rocker Skins
• WARN PowerPlant 9500
• Rock Hard Sport Cage (Need Advice on This)
• ARB TWIN AIR COMPRESSOR, ARB COMPRESSOR MOUNT, TIRE PUMP KIT AND ARB MANIFOLD
• Odyssey Battery
• Cobra 29 LXBT CB Radio
• Firestik II Antenna
• The sPod 6 switch Panel w/ Dual LED Red Switches
• Rigid Industries D-Series Midnight Edition Black Spot Optic, 2 Pairs
• Rigid Industries D-Series Midnight Edition LED Spot Flush Mount (1 Pair for Reverse Lights)
• Rigid Industries Double A-Pillar Mount for Jeep JK
• Rigid Industries E-Series PRO | 50" Spot Midnight Edition
• SUPERCHIPS FLASHCAL F5 PROGRAMMER
• HI-LIFT 48IN JACK (Red)
• AEV or Red ARB Differential Cover
• G2 Axle & Gear Front and Rear Ring and Pinion with Master Install Kit (5.13 or 5.38 Gear Ratio)
• Dynatrac JK44-2X112 ProGrip Brake System (Seen on Wayalife’s Youtube Channel.)
• DV8 FENDB-06 Slim Fenders
• DV8 Off-road INFEND01-FBRL Front Inner Fenders with LED Rock Lights
• DV8 Off-road Rear Inner fenders
• J.E. Reel Heavy Duty Front and Rear Driveshafts
• Axle Shafts Need Advice

Thanks in advance to any and all suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
15,894 Posts
Looks like a great list!

I'd suggest a couple of things:

• 5.13 gears, 5.38 is a bit small for a D44 IMO.
  • Rear axle shafts, the flanges will bend fairly quickly with that heavy tire
  • At that level of build drive shafts seem like a good add
I look forward to following your build! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
Hello Everyone,

After reading Build-It’s thread and a few others on here; I’m hooked! So I figured I would start a Build Thread of my own.

I'd like to introduce everyone to The Scarlet Witch! My wife and I call her Wanda for short.

After tons of reading and youtube videos along with endless support from Other_Erik here, I've come up with where I want to take Wanda in her transformation. The end game is for Wanda to be able to tackle most trails including Rubicon one day. My wife and I have discussed completing the Badge of Honor Trails as a bucket list item.

So the list I have below is subject to change in the future. Please let me know what parts I’m missing since I’m still very new to this. Also I plan to do most of the wrenching myself with the help from my Brother-In-Law and Best Friend two doors down. Both are great mechanics.

Planned Build Specs as of October 31, 2017:

• EVO Manufacturing Front LCG Coilover Kit - JK
• EVO Manufacturing Dana 44 LCG Bolt-On Coilover Kit w/EVO Spec Coilovers
• EVO Manufacturing Double D Long Arm Upgrade Kit - JK
• King Rear Air Bumps
• Nitto Trail Grappler 37x12.50R-17LT Tire
• KMC Wheels XD229 Machete Beadlock Satin Black Wheel 17x9 5X5
• Magnaflow Rock Crawler Series Cat-Back Exhaust 2.5in
• Banks Engineering Ram-Air Intake System
• LOD JK Destroyer Full-Width Front Bumper
• LOD JK Destroyer Full-Width Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier and all accessories
• LOD JK Destroyer Series Rock Sliders (Undecided)
• EVO MFG Vacuum Pump Relocation Bracket
• EVO MFG Skidplate System
• EVO Rocker Skins
• WARN PowerPlant 9500
• Rock Hard Sport Cage (Need Advice on This)
• ARB TWIN AIR COMPRESSOR, ARB COMPRESSOR MOUNT, TIRE PUMP KIT AND ARB MANIFOLD
• Odyssey Battery
• Cobra 29 LXBT CB Radio
• Firestik II Antenna
• The sPod 6 switch Panel w/ Dual LED Red Switches
• Rigid Industries D-Series Midnight Edition Black Spot Optic, 2 Pairs
• Rigid Industries D-Series Midnight Edition LED Spot Flush Mount (1 Pair for Reverse Lights)
• Rigid Industries Double A-Pillar Mount for Jeep JK
• Rigid Industries E-Series PRO | 50" Spot Midnight Edition
• SUPERCHIPS FLASHCAL F5 PROGRAMMER
• HI-LIFT 48IN JACK (Red)
• AEV or Red ARB Differential Cover
• G2 Axle & Gear Front and Rear Ring and Pinion with Master Install Kit (5.13 or 5.38 Gear Ratio)

Thanks in advance to any and all suggestions.
She's a beauty, congrats! I like that you've put some good thought into what your "endgame" is. I'm running 4.88's/37's and she will cruise 80mph @ 3000rpm. This works great for covering long interstate runs to out West. The 4:1 transfer case allows me to nearly idle up big rocks/shelves.

Good luck with your build, I'll be following along:thumb:

-Steven

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sweet...another great build to follow .

C’mon...go for the 8 switch sPOD. It’s better to have it and not need it...trust me!

Also, as Baby Blue Sound suggested, drive shafts are a good idea at the level you seem to be targeting.

And...sorry if I missed this on your list, but you will absolutely have to upgrade those brakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a great list!

I'd suggest a couple of things:

• 5.13 gears, 5.38 is a bit small for a D44 IMO.
  • Rear axle shafts, the flanges will bend fairly quickly with that heavy tire
  • At that level of build drive shafts seem like a good add
I look forward to following your build! :thumb:

Thanks Blue for the recommendations. Is there any brand you would recommend over another for the Axle Shafts and Drive Shafts?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's a beauty, congrats! I like that you've put some good thought into what your "endgame" is. I'm running 4.88's/37's and she will cruise 80mph @ 3000rpm. This works great for covering long interstate runs to out West. The 4:1 transfer case allows me to nearly idle up big rocks/shelves.

Good luck with your build, I'll be following along:thumb:

-Steven
Thanks Steven it means a lot coming from you. Took me a few days to read your entire build thread and I’m completely in love with your rig. Hopfully Wanda grows up one day to be half as nice as Rubi.

·
Super Moderator
15,894 Posts
Thanks Blue for the recommendations. Is there any brand you would recommend over another for the Axle Shafts and Drive Shafts?
Axle shafts I only experience with Revolution, they're 4340 with everything pressed on and ready to go.

Drive shafts I only have experience with Adams.

No issues with either of those brands and I'd purchase them again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
We just installed a set of Tom Wood’s 1350s. It’s too early to report on our experience with anything but the install, which was as smooth as can be...

Tom Wood’s, along with Adams Drive Shafts.

You’re definitely going to want something a bit more heavy duty than the stock shafts.

-W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
On axle shafts - I'm not intimately familiar with the brands out there, so big grain of salt here... Check out Yukon, they've got an option for chromoly shafts that are certainly stronger than the stock ones.

Can't wait to see how this all turns out! Hope my advice was somewhat helpful, but yep you'll get much more experienced advice on this forum. Sub'd to see the progress :)

I'll reiterate one piece of advice I gave in PM because I think it's important for all first-time Jeepers: Take it out bone stock (okay, maybe plus some armor underneath) and get a feel for how it drives, what you like doing, what it's capable of. The Rubicon trim with very little modification will take you places you wouldn't expect, and get you back with ease. The limiting factor at the moment is the loose nut behind the wheel! :lmao:

O_E

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On axle shafts - I'm not intimately familiar with the brands out there, so big grain of salt here... Check out Yukon, they've got an option for chromoly shafts that are certainly stronger than the stock ones.

Can't wait to see how this all turns out! Hope my advice was somewhat helpful, but yep you'll get much more experienced advice on this forum. Sub'd to see the progress :)

I'll reiterate one piece of advice I gave in PM because I think it's important for all first-time Jeepers: Take it out bone stock (okay, maybe plus some armor underneath) and get a feel for how it drives, what you like doing, what it's capable of. The Rubicon trim with very little modification will take you places you wouldn't expect, and get you back with ease. The limiting factor at the moment is the loose nut behind the wheel! :lmao:

O_E
LOL Get that comment at work all of the time; Loose Nut behind the Keyboard. Mostly from the former military guys. LOL

So yah my buddy and I were discussing going out this Sunday for a ride. You said FlagPole Knob and somewhere else? Had to delete a lot of our messages because inbox was full.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
LOL Get that comment at work all of the time; Loose Nut behind the Keyboard. Mostly from the former military guys. LOL

So yah my buddy and I were discussing going out this Sunday for a ride. You said FlagPole Knob and somewhere else? Had to delete a lot of our messages because inbox was full.
You'll have fun at Flagpole. PLENTY of trails that will be easily doable for your Recon in stock form. Is your buddy familiar with Jeeps / offroading in general? If not, you really should find someone who can teach the basics of spotting / obstacle technicals. Wouldn't hurt if they knew the trails there at Flagpole... The last time I went I got all turned around even running with a group, no way I could've found my way out easily at the end of the day.

O_E

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Got your PM and the list looks nice. Where's the armor, though? Would be a shame to take it out there and smash up the oil pan or gas tank or transmission pan or.......

Did you end up taking it out on the trails already? I've been swamped with work on the house.

O_E

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Nice starting point! Maybe a Yeti tie rod and drag link to beef up the steering would be a good idea. Also adding a big brake kit would be another good addition. Interior LED's are a great addition for the interior, the superbrightleds parts list is around here somewhere.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Whats your time frame look like for the build?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whats your time frame look like for the build?

So the plan is to be lifted and on 37's before April and Jeep Beach Week.

All parts are in the shopping cart and ready to order come Black Friday sale next week. Hope to have the bulk order here by the first week of December.

Yeti Steering and Dynatrac Big Brake Kit are on that list.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
So the plan is to be lifted and on 37's before April and Jeep Beach Week.

All parts are in the shopping cart and ready to order come Black Friday sale next week. Hope to have the bulk order here by the first week of December.

Yeti Steering and Dynatrac Big Brake Kit are on that list.
On the BBK - is that just the bracket/rotor/pad kit? For the same-ish money, you'd probably get more bang for your buck with the Mopar front BBK that includes bigger multi-piston calipers and replacement master cylinder and brake booster. I'm not knocking Dynatrac's product, I'm sure it's a boost to braking power, but I don't want to see you upgrade parts, then decide later to upgrade them again... You're going big, go right the first time 'round :)

O_E

1 - 20 of 111 Posts