Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure I have the correct forum for this question but here goes:

Looking at buying a 2017 Unlimited Sahara. Vehicle only has 14,500 miles on it but it does have a Rebuilt title. The Sahara is being sold by a local used car dealer and they are the ones who did the repair(s) on the vehicle. I have seen photos of the vehicle before the repair and the damage appears to have been minor (front fenders, hood, grill).

Is it possible that the remainder of the Factory Warranty would still be available for this vehicle?? Does it need to go thru some sort of Jeep dealer inspection maybe??

I am located in Kentucky and so is the dealer. I've owned and driven rebuilt title cars for a few years now but never one that was just 2 years old.

Hoping that someone may have some knowledge on this or that perhaps a Jeep representative might chime in.

Thx

·
Super Moderator
23,791 Posts
says right in the warranty book that salvage title voids warranty.I would pass unless it is dirt cheap.

·
Super Moderator
8,291 Posts
"Minor" damage would not render a rebuilt title - I would suspect more damage than cosmetic sheet metal and plastic.

·
Registered
700 Posts
"Minor" damage would not render a rebuilt title - I would suspect more damage than cosmetic sheet metal and plastic.
Agreed. A vehicle that new with a rebuilt title has to have something big done to it. Are you sure the title is branded or are they just saying the Jeep was rebuilt and don't mean the title has a salvage brand?

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,488 Posts

Looking at buying a 2017 Unlimited Sahara. Vehicle only has 14,500 miles on it but it does have a Rebuilt title. The Sahara is being sold by a local used car dealer and they are the ones who did the repair(s) on the vehicle. I have seen photos of the vehicle before the repair and the damage appears to have been minor (front fenders, hood, grill).

Is it possible that the remainder of the Factory Warranty would still be available for this vehicle?? Does it need to go thru some sort of Jeep dealer inspection maybe??

I am located in Kentucky and so is the dealer. I've owned and driven rebuilt title cars for a few years now but never one that was just 2 years old.

Hoping that someone may have some knowledge on this or that perhaps a Jeep representative might chime in.

Thx
https://www.autoauctionmall.com/learning-center/can-i-get-insurance-for-salvage-cars-in-kentucky/

When a car is declared salvage in Kentucky, this means that the title of the car actually changes to reflect its status as undrivable. A car with a “salvage title” cannot be registered or insured in the state of Kentucky until it goes through a rigorous inspection process after its restoration is complete.

Some states require you to go to a licensed rebuilder to have a salvage-title car repaired, but that’s not the case in Kentucky. Here, you can do all the work yourself. When you decide to buy a salvage car and restore it to good working condition, you’ll need to know that it may require a significant amount of work.

ReTitling a Salvage Car
There are several forms the owner of a restored salvage car will need to submit to get it ready for re-titling and re-registration.

If the car was even partially rebuilt from parts sourced from other salvage cars – such as those purchased from a salvage yard – as an owner you will have to have an Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Assembled From Wrecked or Salvaged Motor Vehicles filled out and notarized.

Additionally, a record of every replacement part you purchase for your car will have to be submitted with a notarized statement from the individual you purchased it from or with a receipt from the company it came from. This extends to any receipts for labor if you didn’t do the work yourself. Finally, you’ll have to have the vehicle inspected and fill out Kentucky title application for a new title or registration.

Fulfilling all these requirements, in addition to restoring the salvage car to a safe and drivable condition – will result in your title and registration application being approved. You then have 60 days to get the new title and registration. Once you do so, you’ll notice that your new title will have the word “rebuilt” branded on it. This rebuilt title will let subsequent owners know what kind of work went into the vehicle.
Might help you, but I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Make sure you are able to get financing before you pull the trigger. Many banks will not write a loan against a salvage or rebuilt title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
title

Agreed. A vehicle that new with a rebuilt title has to have something big done to it. Are you sure the title is branded or are they just saying the Jeep was rebuilt and don't mean the title has a salvage brand?
Their advertisement does state that it is a Rebuilt title. Would assume that means it has a "salvage" designation but not have seen the actual title to verify.

The pricing would suggest a salvage/rebuilt status. Listed at $24K while similar units in the area are listed for $31K or more.

Called my Credit Union today to ask about financing. I was surprised to learn that they do offer financing but the buyer must pay for 20% of the vehicles cost, so essentially they will only finance 80% of the value. Still a surprise to me as I was thinking that they would not finance at all.

The price does make it attractive, as the $6K-$7K savings would/should handle a number of mechanical and electrical expenditures should they occur. Another upside is that the reduced buy-in cost allows for upgrades and modifications to be done sooner than later. A downside is of course the reduced value (and stigma) of a vehicle with a Rebuilt title. But my wife and tend to keep our vehicles for a long time so resale is really not a huge issue.

Also thanks to those who were able to access the "no warranty on rebuilds" info from the manual.

BK

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I bought a rebuilt JK for my daughter, hers was hit in the rear. Test drive one with front damage first and found that the steering felt off. The one I bought rides fine, but there is a dimple in the frame behind the suspension components.

My recommendation would be to complete a thorough test drive and request that they put it on a lift for your inspection. If they won’t put it on a lift, take a flashlight and a creeper and look hard at the underside for evidence of frame and suspension damage. If you have a trusted mechanic/alignment/body shop, it may be worthwhile to have them look it over as well.

My 2013 took a hit in the front and it only looked like fender, fender flare, bumper, grill, and hood damage at first glance. Ended up with a new front axle, radiator support, and cowl as well. The steering box probably should have been replaced, but wasn’t and I feel confident that the control arm would have been bent if it was still the stock part. That was on a 5 year old Jeep with 60K and they didn’t total it. I would guess the one you’re looking at suffered significant suspension damage and/or some frame damage for them to salvage it.

Good luck with the purchase if you buy it. We have had my daughter’s for 8 months now and no issues with it at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
price drop

My recommendation would be to complete a thorough test drive and request that they put it on a lift for your inspection. If they won’t put it on a lift, take a flashlight and a creeper and look hard at the underside for evidence of frame and suspension damage. If you have a trusted mechanic/alignment/body shop, it may be worthwhile to have them look it over as well.

My 2013 took a hit in the front and it only looked like fender, fender flare, bumper, grill, and hood damage at first glance. Ended up with a new front axle, radiator support, and cowl as well. The steering box probably should have been replaced, but wasn’t and I feel confident that the control arm would have been bent if it was still the stock part. That was on a 5 year old Jeep with 60K and they didn’t total it. I would guess the one you’re looking at suffered significant suspension damage and/or some frame damage for them to salvage it.

Just checked their website and they have dropped the price another $500 since I spoke to them yesterday. With end of month coming this wknd they may come down more.

I just double checked the photos that they sent me. The left front took the bulk of the damage and even then it doesn't look too bad (from what I can see).

The vehicle is about 75 miles from me and I can only get there on the weekend so if they still have it this coming Saturday morning then I'll take a road trip and check it out. Definitely taking a light and some roll-around clothes.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I believe it takes about 70% of vehicle worth to total it. So for a vehicle worth $31K it would take over $21K in damage to total it. So if the lot bought it totaled, how much did they pay for it and how much did the put into it in repairs. Will they lie about it,,LOL. It's a used car lot with used car salesmen.

·
Super Moderator
23,791 Posts
check with your insurance as some insurance will not give you full coverage on a salvage title.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Just checked their website and they have dropped the price another $500 since I spoke to them yesterday. With end of month coming this wknd they may come down more.

I just double checked the photos that they sent me. The left front took the bulk of the damage and even then it doesn't look too bad (from what I can see).

The vehicle is about 75 miles from me and I can only get there on the weekend so if they still have it this coming Saturday morning then I'll take a road trip and check it out. Definitely taking a light and some roll-around clothes.
Ask for wheel alignment print out if ok
check frame measurements in the damaged area.
pic sizes are in mm
You can post pic of damages here its easier to have an impression based on how bad it was.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,637 Posts
My wife's 2016 was hit on the left front and just shy of being a total. They could never get the Jeep right and it never drove the same. Top no longer lined up and it leaked (terribly) when it never leaked before.

Personally it was worth money to us to have a Jeep that was "right" so we dumped it and ordered her a new one. If it's going to be a daily driver I'd pass.

·
Registered
677 Posts
In most states, when totaled, the vehicle receives a salvage title and after it's fixed and inspected by the state (to check that no stolen parts are used, in my state), a rebuilt title is issued.

It seems that every time I see a rebuilt title vehicle, the seller has some story about how it only was lightly hit and maybe the fenders, hood and bumper needed to be replaced. BS! If the vehicle was worth $30k, at 70% to total, we're talking $21k in damage. If someone is telling you that only light damage happened, they are out and out lieing to you.

I live literally right next door to a shop who buys and repairs salvage vehicles. From them, a repaired salvage vehicle is worth 60% of what a clean title vehicle is worth. If it's flood, 50%. If the Jeep you're looking at is worth $30k clean, it's worth $18k max rebuilt. When you go to trade in, the dealer will either give you nothing or 50%. If you do buy this thing, be ready to simply part it out when you decide to move on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Assuming the car came from Kentucky, I would be concerned with it being a flood damaged car on top of whatever damage the pictures show. Body work, frame, etc, are all easily fixable in today's world with the tools and replacement parts available. Electrical damage would be my concern. It can take a bit for those to show up due to the length of time it takes to corrode wires, etc.

That being said, it is amazing what an insurance company will do now a days. Some cars have a lot of damage and you think they are going to total it, and they do not. Others have minimal looking damage and are totaled.I have seen cars with only 15% value in damage totaled due to their great customer did not want a damaged car back, therefore they bought the car at which point it had a salvage title.

I personally would not stay away from a car that had a salvage title if the repairs were done right, and the price was right.

Just my .02

·
Registered
154 Posts

Thx

Hey I use to work for Copart. Salvage mean frame damaged for sure as u saying fender benders from pic. I can tell u that Jeep have frame bent some how. They fix it. Look under it. Ask them if they did a repair to the frame or they change the frame. Frame brand new from mopar parts u get it like 1,200$

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is a old thread but Not every Salvage title from Copart is a bent frame, this is just not true. I deal with copart all the time and you have to know what your buying regardless of what title it has. I also deal with trade ins from the big dealers and let me tell you just because it has a clean title does not mean that its a perfect vehicle. Most of the time there is a reason they traded it in! Its also not true that the Rebuilt title is 60% t0 70% less then what its worth in most cases. I've sold rebuilt titles because of Theft for good money. Again do your research.

Some other facts that some of you got right. Insurance - check first most will only do liability so drive safe, but I've had some do full also, so check around.
Loans as stated above most will not loan if you don't have full insurance coverage- so they make you do the 20% up front or at a higher %rate because you are the one taking the risk. They don't want to take the risks, there a bank get it.

Not trying to start anything on here but I think some people just don't know what there talking about or they have been burned by not doing the research so they just post how bad a rebuilt is.

Be smart and do your research and if your still not sure then walk away to something else.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I should have come back to this thread before now but forgot.

My wife and I decided to pass on the unit with the rebuilt title. Too many unkowns.

We did find (and buy) a nice 2017 JKU Big Bear edition at a local dealer. While it was more costly than the rebuilt title unit I have no regrets in buying the Big Bear over the rebuilt Sahara.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts