Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings -

I've waited a while to buy a new Wrangler in order to hopefully avoid any concerns about passenger-side Takata non-dessicant air bag inflators, so yesterday afternoon I placed an order for a 2017 Wrangler JK, Sport S, A/T, lightly optioned with Connectivity, Convenience, Sirius XM and Hard Top.

I ran into a few changes for 2017 that might be of interest to anyone considering a purchase. There may be more changes on options that were of no interest to me, but this is what I saw:

* The base price has increased by $100.00.
* A/T price has increased by $50.00.
* If you want the Connectivity Group, you're forced to buy Sirius XM option at $195.00.
* There was some confusion on the level of tint on the Hard Top windows. There is an option for dark tint at $495 which I did not select and will have done in a tint shop if what I receive is not dark enough. I thought that dark tint was standard, but they showed me a base RHD JKU which was very lightly tinted - so I'm not sure what will show up.

I suspect that some of the increased charges have dropped into the dealer hold-back bucket, as the 50/50 split I agreed with the dealer resulted in a little more savings to me than I expected.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not yet certain. It depends on whether the dealer can get the order into his first order set or if it will have to wait until the second set. He closed out his first set before my order, but said he would try to get it moved up. If he can, it'll be 4-6 weeks. If not, it'll probably be late October.

I did ask him to see if he could get a build date on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, so that might hold things up a bit if he can arrange it.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
I've waited a while to buy a new Wrangler in order to hopefully avoid any concerns about passenger-side Takata non-dessicant air bag inflators, so yesterday afternoon I placed an order for a 2017 Wrangler JK, Sport S, A/T, lightly optioned with Connectivity, Convenience, Sirius XM and Hard Top.
I haven't read any confirmation about the air bags yet. Just their plan to stop using them.

According to FCA, the only vehicle still in production with the named airbag (Takata) is the 2016 Jeep Wrangler, and in this case they are passenger-side airbags.

Fiat Chrysler says it isn't aware of any incidents involving these air bag inflaters in Jeeps, but amidst concerns that vehicles with failure-prone airbags are still being marketed to customers, North American-market 2016 Wranglers will cease to be equipped with them starting next week
(statement dated June 21, 2016).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read that Wranglers would get dessicant-included airbag inflators beginning with ~ 6/21/2016 production and that the 2017 models would not be subject to this question.

Takata airbag recall news: Jeep will phase out use of recalled airbags

Fiat Chrysler to stop using defective Takata air bags next week

Fiat Chrysler to Phase Out Air Bag Inflators Subject to Recall

Hopefully the information as stated by FCA will prove to be correct. My wife is 72 years old, weighs 105 lbs and (like a lot of women) has reduced bone density. There's no way I'd put her in any vehicle's passenger seat with a known air bag problem.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
I've read that Wranglers would get dessicant-included airbag inflators beginning with ~ 6/21/2016 production and that the 2017 models would not be subject to this question.

Takata airbag recall news: Jeep will phase out use of recalled airbags

Fiat Chrysler to stop using defective Takata air bags next week

Fiat Chrysler to Phase Out Air Bag Inflators Subject to Recall

Hopefully the information as stated by FCA will prove to be correct. My wife is 72 years old, weighs 105 lbs and (like a lot of women) has reduced bone density. There's no way I'd put her in any vehicle's passenger seat with a known air bag problem.
Like I said, I haven't seen any confirmation of the change-over yet. All the links you provided, say the same thing as I mentioned. They only speak of a plan to make the change.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cynicism can be a good thing, but in this case I'll take the statement to be factual.

Since the June 21st date has come and gone - and since 2017 production has already begun - without further clarification or correction by FCA - and with acknowledgement of the change by the dealer at time of purchase, my sense is that they have already made the switch.

I would hope that before making such statements they would know that they had access to supplies of air bag inflators with dessicant and that if they did not provide them in future vehicles, they would be subject to complaints from buyers, up to and including the demand to either cancel the order upon delivery or be liable for a future buy-back of the vehicle upon customer discovery.

While "hope" is not a good strategy, their public announcement of the change provides all of the "proof" I need as protection against acceptance of delivery of a product that is not as advertised.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not yet certain. It depends on whether the dealer can get the order into his first order set or if it will have to wait until the second set. He closed out his first set before my order, but said he would try to get it moved up. If he can, it'll be 4-6 weeks. If not, it'll probably be late October.
So this is interesting... related to a question I asked in the 2017 Waiting Room thread, but didn't get any answers. It sounds like each dealer a certain allotment that can fill up? So if you're ordering a 2017, you need to find a dealer that still has an opening in their "first wave" of orders?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not certain if it's an allocation by dealer during production runs, or if it's a cut-off date once FCA reaches a production number.

It's a question you could probably have answered by a dealer, but in my case I wasn't in a hurry and the price I received along with no added document fees or DSRP monkey-business was enough to warrant my patience. I think it's rare to find an old-fashioned dealer in these days.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
The 2017 production has not begun, yet. That's still a few weeks away (Sept 19?).

I haven't seen any advertisement by FCA that 2017 Wranglers have a new air bag. I mean, any/all of the "what's new/changed for 2017" that I have seen, don't list anything about the air bags.

Also, the change over was listed as occurring over a time period, extending into the fall.

While one can "hope" that the change over not only started, but has completed, all the point I was making is that I haven't seen any confirmation anywhere that states its actually been completed. I would not assume anything until that happens.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I haven't seen an absolute statement that "Today Jeep stopped putting potentially faulty air bags in Wranglers!" so I won't assume that the change has been made. Instead, I'll trust, but verify. If it has not been changed on my vehicle, I won't accept it - very easy, since the dealer agreed that my vehicle would have the air bags with added dessicant - and since he didn't require a deposit, I have nothing to lose except time.

On the positive side, this is from the 3rd link I posted above, dated June 21, 2016:

The company said it will halt production with the inflator, which lacks a drying agent, for North America by next week and by mid-September worldwide. Vehicles containing the inflator will need to be recalled by 2019 as part of a massive expansion of recalls by Takata.

That is fairly declarative. Further, Jeep dealers are required to identify vehicles with non-dessicant air bag inflators and have the customer sign an agreement to such, with the acknowledgement that the vehicle will be recalled before 2019:

Of course, there are still thousands of new, unsold vehicles using the non-desiccated ammonium nitrate inflators that do not yet fall under the recall; the list includes Jeep Wranglers which will switch to a different type of propellant next week.

"Unsold vehicles that are so-equipped will be identified for customers," the FCA says. "These customers will also be advised that the vehicles will be recalled in the future. They are not currently subject to recall."

I like my chances....... :)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'm sure they have a disclaimer that they reserve the right to make any changes without notice, etc....

Regarding:

and since he didn't require a deposit, I have nothing to lose except time.
By not putting down a REFUNDABLE deposit, you are not protected against prices increases happening between the time of order and the time of your jeep being built/shipped.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm 72 years old, just retired from an auto-related industry, have lost count of the number of vehicles I've bought and/or built in my life and realize that nothing is guaranteed until the deal has been completed, but the same thing applies when the vehicle arrives...... if it is not exactly as ordered and agreed, there is no deal. I have lived with and without a Jeep, so the world won't come to an end for me either way. Age might do it, but a vehicle certainly won't.

On the other hand, maybe I should just call the dealer and tell him that nothing he or FCA says publicly is true and because of the "enlightenment" I've received by the Jeep Wrangler Forum, my state of alarm is so high that I prefer to cancel the order and never own another Jeep product.

Man, I feel better already just thinking about that possibility! Thanks to all! :)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
By all means don't buy a jeep if your decision is hinged on what kind of propellant they use for the airbag, good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
By not putting down a REFUNDABLE deposit, you are not protected against prices increases happening between the time of order and the time of your jeep being built/shipped.
This is what I go by, for that:

Price Protection

Price Protection is available on sold orders to protect the customer from price increases which occur between the vehicle order date and the KZ (invoice) date. A claim for Price Protection must meet the following criteria:

The sale must be documented by a signed and dated buyer’s order which details the agreed upon selling price at the time of order and secured by a customer’s deposit with receipts at time of order. Dealer must print and retain the Order Confirmation Ordered new for immediate production, or selected from dealer stock orders not yet invoiced, and delivered to the original customer Must be delivered within 14 days of the date the vehicle is received at the dealership (KZX date) Must be delivered to the customer whose name is on the factory order and subsequent factory invoice at the documented agreed upon price at time of order

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the concern, fellas. I'm sure there are times when those misunderstandings happen - particularly with unscrupulous dealers. If I run into a problem, I'll be sure to let you know, but I just don't think that will be the case..... in this case.

·
Registered
617 Posts
* The base price has increased by $100.00..
On sport S and most of its sport s based editions. But if you plan to get LED headlights, Base price has fallen effectively by $100 on Sahara and Rubicon as their prices now include LED, but rose less than the cost of LED as an option relative to price rise of sport

·
Banned
477 Posts
Greetings -

I ran into a few changes for 2017 that might be of interest to anyone considering a purchase. There may be more changes on options that were of no interest to me, but this is what I saw:

* The base price has increased by $100.00.
* A/T price has increased by $50.00.
* If you want the Connectivity Group, you're forced to buy Sirius XM option at $195.00.
* There was some confusion on the level of tint on the Hard Top windows. There is an option for dark tint at $495 which I did not select and will have done in a tint shop if what I receive is not dark enough. I thought that dark tint was standard, but they showed me a base RHD JKU which was very lightly tinted - so I'm not sure what will show up.

I suspect that some of the increased charges have dropped into the dealer hold-back bucket, as the 50/50 split I agreed with the dealer resulted in a little more savings to me than I expected.
I noticed that you didn't mention air conditioning in your list of options. Unless something changed between 16 and 17 that is an option on the Sport. I'd recommend getting it even if you think you won't want it just for the sake of resale.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
... I placed an order for a 2017 Wrangler JK, Sport S, A/T, lightly optioned with Connectivity, Convenience, Sirius XM and Hard Top.
I noticed that you didn't mention air conditioning in your list of options. Unless something changed between 16 and 17 that is an option on the Sport. I'd recommend getting it even if you think you won't want it just for the sake of resale.
Isn't A/C standard on the Sport S ???

1 - 20 of 31 Posts