Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2017 Wrangler Sahara for 2 years now and still have a couple of questions concerning the manual shifting on the transmission.

First, does the toggle action of the shift lever changing gears up and down wear out any kind of bushing (plastic or nylon) or gear? I enjoy manually handling the gears, especially while driving in the mountain states but don't want to be unduly wearing out or damaging something like I'm told the nylon bushing for the 4x4 or Low Range in/out lever can happen.

Second, while manually shifting gears why does the transmission automatically down shift from any of the higher gears as you slow down or stop, but won't up shift as you begin increasing in speed again. It always catches me by surprise when I realize I'm at 4000 RPM and still in first gear.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
1. Nope. Flap away.

2. I think that was a "feature" for 2013+. Probably some kind of patent when they switched to in-house manufacturing.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
It downshifts to keep from lugging the engine. It will then stay in that gear thinking that you still want to manually shift. It will go up to but not exceed the red line.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. Would be nice if "it" would have been thinking I wanted to go back to where it started the down shifting. Oh well, I'd better be thankful if "it" just keeps working.

·
Registered
115 Posts
manually shifting the automatic

I think I did wear something out on my automatic transmission shift lever.
Some days it works good, I can shift back and forth easily. Then other days you can't get it to up-shift at all !
Nothing crazy, just in the 2k rpm range. Transmission works fine in automatic mode. Works fine in manual mode, but I think the switch is going bad on up-shifts. If you down-shift, that works good all the time.

in fact the shift has worked great until august last year. No rain inside, no rivers forded. Its never been driven in the salt.
Sometimes it won't up-shift at all. It always down-shifts fine. Only the up shift is hesitant.
I get annoyed and will hold the shifter over to the right and it will go 3rd, then fourth. I can bring it back to third, let it climb to 2200-2500 rpm and then hit fourth, it may go to fourth or may not. so, you get annoyed and hit it hard and it shifts. annoying.
18,000 miles a little over three years old. mainly highway miles

Known issue what ever the shift switch is inside that center console ? Is it something that is replacement part or something that should be sprayed with contact cleaner ? ( or sensor cleaner) ?
Its annoying.
Let me know if you have an idea to try, before taking it into be fixed,

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Some days it works good, I can shift back and forth easily. Then other days you can't get it to up-shift at all !
Nothing crazy, just in the 2k rpm range. Transmission works fine in automatic mode. Works fine in manual mode, but I think the switch is going bad on up-shifts. If you down-shift, that works good all the time.
I'm guessing that this is the correct behavior. The manual mode doesn't allow you to upshift and downshift the way that you think. It allows you to select the maximum possible gear available to the automatic. So, if you upshift to 4th from 3rd, you're just telling the computer that it can shift between 1st and 4th gears as it pleases, hence the hesitation. At least, that's my understanding of the transmission from other Chrysler rentals that I've driven.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
That's not how it works. If you are on the freeway and you downshift to 4th, then slow to a stop, it will go to 1st and not go back up. It will be locked in 1st till you shift it up or out of the mode. Not a real good program IMO.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
That's not how it works. If you are on the freeway and you downshift to 4th, then slow to a stop, it will go to 1st and not go back up. It will be locked in 1st till you shift it up or out of the mode. Not a real good program IMO.
You're right. I heard that it changed in 13 or so. But, isn't that only when you come to a stop? I thought if you shifted to 4 it would shuffle through the lower gears as needed.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
It only goes down in gears, never up. Not really a good program that I am sure they are still working on to correct,,,LOL.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
My 2012 is different than other years. When you downshift to say 3rd, then come to a stop, it will drop down to 1st (still shows 3 on the dash), but it will still shift back up to 3rd as you drive.

No idea why Jeep changed the programming in later models, but it sounds like it sucks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
new management

Yeah I may not have explained accurately. On the 2016, it will stay in the gear you put it in, unless you come to a stop, then it will down-shift to first gear or second if below 5 mph.

I usually shift it myself because I like shifting the transmission when I think it should , depending on the situation. The good thing, the torque converter locks up almost immediately.
I may get up to + - 50 mph, and leave it in fourth so I can pull hills easily. With it in manual mode, like 4th gear, it pulls the hills without downshifting, like it would in automatic mode, from 5th to 4th and hunting for a gear. I dislike that hunting for gears.

It use to be rock solid on the manual shift mode and not require excessive force ( sometimes). Some days, it shifts nicely, no problems.

Then some days, its crazy and won't hardly shift at all unless I hit the lever hard. In those times I just have to put it in automatic mode so it will shift. Otherwise it will frustrate the daylights out of you if in manual mode. :pcwhack:

I think there is probably a switch at the bottom of that shifter, cause I don't think it goes directly into the transmission. I think that switch is going bad or needs to be cleaned possibly.
Not many videos on y-tube, I have found exactly one. Most people want to change the shifter knob, LOL
strange,
- have a good one,

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,467 Posts

in fact the shift has worked great until august last year. No rain inside, no rivers forded. Its never been driven in the salt.
Sometimes it won't up-shift at all. It always down-shifts fine. Only the up shift is hesitant.
I get annoyed and will hold the shifter over to the right and it will go 3rd, then fourth. I can bring it back to third, let it climb to 2200-2500 rpm and then hit fourth, it may go to fourth or may not. so, you get annoyed and hit it hard and it shifts. annoying.
18,000 miles a little over three years old. mainly highway miles

Known issue what ever the shift switch is inside that center console ? Is it something that is replacement part or something that should be sprayed with contact cleaner ? ( or sensor cleaner) ?
Its annoying.
Hi Ron,
We're sorry to hear about this. If you are unable to remedy this on your own and decide to visit your dealer, please send us a PM. We'd be happy to add assistance to your visit.
Alex
JeepCares

·
Registered
115 Posts
thanks

Thank you Alex, I certainly appreciate you reading my post. I may take the Jeep into the dealer to have it looked at. I usually look at it myself first, just to see if its something obvious that I maybe able to fix. Its cool.

It has the 'Maxcare' warranty so I am not to worried. Jeep shifts fine in automatic mode, so the transmission itself is fine.
We're good, Thanks for reaching out Alex, I will post ( eventually) whatever I do. May wait till spring, its to cold to work on it now, LOL
Best regards

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
All this talk of shifting the 'automatic' transmission because you "like it to shift when you think it should." I know a way you can have this all the time...

Get a stick! lol :bop:

Just kidding guys, but seriously if you like shifting and picking a gear just 'man-up' and get a 6spd! :winner:

I'm ready...:tomatoes:

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,467 Posts
Thank you Alex, I certainly appreciate you reading my post. I may take the Jeep into the dealer to have it looked at. I usually look at it myself first, just to see if its something obvious that I maybe able to fix. Its cool.

It has the 'Maxcare' warranty so I am not to worried. Jeep shifts fine in automatic mode, so the transmission itself is fine.
We're good, Thanks for reaching out Alex, I will post ( eventually) whatever I do. May wait till spring, its to cold to work on it now, LOL
Best regards
Thank you for the update! We look forward to hearing from you.
Alex
JeepCares

1 - 15 of 15 Posts