Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I just purchased my first jeep: 2017 Wrangler sport.
It only has 7k on it but its been modded. The jeep was lifted by previous owner before it got to the dealer but im not sure about which lift kit was used... waiting to hear back. And the tires I believe are 35" mud tires.

Can someone tell me what the process would be to convert this jeep into more of a daily driver with the occasional trips off road. Off the top of my head im thinking lowering the ride if its not too expensive of a process and switching my tires to a 33" all terrain/all weather.

Also after a day of using the jeep, I noticed the wheel alignment is off all of a sudden. Which wasnt the case when i test drove it. hopefully nothing to be concerned about and it seems like the jeep dealership will take care of the alignment. or at least i hope they do.

Any input at all is much appreciated. Wish I had the name and details of the lift but for now just this photo until they get back to me.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
Ask a mod to move this to the JK section. @Old_Dogger?

Wow, that was quick. :)
LOL I think I was moving it when you posted :D

@coquitlamdaily Post some pics of what lift you have. Because a lifted Jeep can drive great for a DD, if it's lifted with quality parts. But what we find more often are cheap lifts that don't drive well.

:welcome: Glad to have you here.

·
Super Moderator
6,804 Posts
Is there a name or part number on the shocks? There are stock shocks that are black but that looks like a 2.5" lift so I would think it isn't stock. Skyjacker also have black shocks. But they could be painted black.

Here is a thread on how to measure how much lift your Jeep has
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/how-to-measure-jk-lift-height-2049729.html
As a point of reference, a 2.5" lift will usually give you around 3" of lift.

The steering wheel could be simple, like they had loosened the drag link to adjust it and forgot to tighten it back down. Or something could be bent. As long as it is not bent it should just be a matter of adjusting the drag link back to where it was.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,871 Posts
You will be into the rig another $1k to lower it some ( a decent leveling kit which will give you 1" in the rear and 2" in the front of lift) will run a few hundred dollars. Switching to a decent AT 285/70/17 (33") tire can run $200-320 a piece.

Its a nice looking rig. Once you get the steering sorted, Id keep it as is until you need to replace something.

·
Retired Moderator
100,678 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies. I'm taking it back in and ill ask them to figure out all the aftermarket additions before i finalize the sale. If its gonna cost me that much money to lower the ride, ill just stick with whatever lift is on there. maybe see if I can trade current tires (P245/75R16 OWL AS) for a 33" all terraine since these seem to be only for off roading.

is there a market for used mud terraine tires like mine?

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
thanks for the replies. I'm taking it back in and ill ask them to figure out all the aftermarket additions before i finalize the sale. If its gonna cost me that much money to lower the ride, ill just stick with whatever lift is on there. maybe see if I can trade current tires (P245/75R16 OWL AS) for a 33" all terraine since these seem to be only for off roading.

is there a market for used mud terraine tires like mine?
In BC? I would think so.

Have you owned a solid front axle vehicle before?

Wait, the tires on there are 245/75-16" If that thing is lifted 2.5" they can't be that small. That's barely a 30" diameter tire.<scratching head>

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
If you've never driven a jeep before you might find a stock one and take a ride in it. Yours might not ride much different then stock. Or it could be a lot worse. I've grown up driving old cars, trucks, and jeeps. So my 18 JKU rides like a dream. My wife grew up driving nice cars and she thinks the jeep ride is horrible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually drove the same jeep with stock wheels and no lift. and you're right. not THAT much different. my current jeep drives nicely other than the alignment issue. I still think i should consider different tires more suitable for everyday use and better gas consumption. I'll see if i can sell these tires and get some AT ones

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I actually drove the same jeep with stock wheels and no lift. and you're right. not THAT much different. my current jeep drives nicely other than the alignment issue. I still think i should consider different tires more suitable for everyday use and better gas consumption. I'll see if i can sell these tires and get some AT ones
Check the tire size again ---- what you posted is a wee-little tire.
If you got the 75 and 16 part right, I'll guess the first number is 285 and you're already on 33s.
I'd just keep them and sort out the lift. See what's under there for castor correction. You might just be able to add geo-brackets and declare victory.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you're in a local offroading club, I can almost guaranty you that you can lower it and get all terrain tires swapped with someone for free. If someone in my area had that setup for a JKU and wanted what you want, I'd do the wrenching and gladly make the switch for free (my labor for your more expensive hardware). I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be willing to make this kind of swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the input everyone. it turns out tires were 35".
Went to the dealership today and they weren't telling me what after market mods were used by the previous owner. they also weren't dealing with the alignment issues until I signed the final contract papers for the deal to finalize. So ive decided to give this one back and look for another 2018 wrangler with as many stock parts as possible. this one was only driven 7k but looking underneath the vehicle it looked like its been stored in a pool of mud for the past 12 months

1 - 15 of 15 Posts