Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, First time here and apologies if it's the wrong spot for this topic!

TLDR: Need advice/tips/information on the driveshaft upgrade after putting my 3.5 first lift on.

So I am relatively new to the Jeep family, purchased my Sahara 4-Door back in August of 2019. Decided a few months back after saving up, that it was time to do some mods! New exhaust (Not needed, but thank god for removing the trashcan lol), cold air intake (Not needed, just wanted), and finally my first lift kit! I went with a Rough Country 3.5in kit w. N3 shocks and adjustable track bar (Was on sale, good reviews, etc).

Now my buddy who has helped me with all of this (sadly we fell out of contact) let me know that I need to upgrade my driveshaft after doing the lift before doing any off road trips (other than basic trails) and putting larger tires on (In my case, I don't want much more than the stock 35 size, just wider with different tread). I am at a loss of where to start however!

Just front?
Front and rear?
Suggested brands/models under or around 500 USD?
Help and advice? :unsure:

Anything anyone has to offer, I do appreciate it so thank you in advance!

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I would suggest Tom Woods shafts. Also, you are looking at 500$ or so for each end of the jeep.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
65,435 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: Raiever

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suggest Tom Woods shafts. Also, you are looking at 500$ or so for each end of the jeep.
So it does have to be both front and back copy that. Is there a preference on which goes first? As well, is there any real threat of damage to the vehicle if I do one, save up a few months then do the other? (Obviously still keeping in mind not to do any heavy trailing etc)

Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Glad to be here! Have been lurking for a long long time, until I finally had a question worthy of asking that google didn't help with! :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
If money is tight just the front will do, but be aware on some really flexy lifts the rear may contact the gas tank. I did the front with a Dana and will wait till after catching up from the build and Christmas to get a rear. Price will be more like over $600, $500 driveshafts were for the JK. LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If money is tight just the front will do, but be aware on some really flexy lifts the rear may contact the gas tank. I did the front with a Dana and will wait till after catching up from the build and Christmas to get a rear. Price will be more like over $600, $500 driveshafts were for the JK. LOL
Money will be tight with the holidays, but I would rather at least get the front done before winter full hits here in Montana! I was looking at the below front/rear shafts.. I am unsure if they are quality enough to use? Any advice? Trying to make sure I at least get mid ground gear, nothing to crazy until the future. Also, if I supply my VIN here, could someone make sure I am buying the right parts for the vehicle? :)

2018 JL Sahara unlimited:

My current lift kit installed: Amazon.com: Rough Country 3.5" Lift Kit (fits) 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL 4DR | N3 Shocks | Adjustable Track Bar | Suspension|66830: Automotive
Tires I am looking to get: https://www.tires-easy.com/255-70-18/falken-tires/wildpeak-a-t3w/tirecode/28034841
Front: J.E. Reel 3118JL-24F-BFGD Heavy Duty 1310 Front Drive Shaft for 18-20 Jeep JL Wrangler with Automatic Transmission
Rear: J.E. Reel 3118JL-4R-BFGD Heavy Duty 1310 Rear Drive Shaft for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL with Automatic Transmission

·
Registered
754 Posts
Money will be tight with the holidays, but I would rather at least get the front done before winter full hits here in Montana! I was looking at the below front/rear shafts.. I am unsure if they are quality enough to use? Any advice? Trying to make sure I at least get mid ground gear, nothing to crazy until the future. Also, if I supply my VIN here, could someone make sure I am buying the right parts for the vehicle? :)

2018 JL Sahara unlimited:

My current lift kit installed: Amazon.com: Rough Country 3.5" Lift Kit (fits) 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL 4DR | N3 Shocks | Adjustable Track Bar | Suspension|66830: Automotive
Tires I am looking to get: https://www.tires-easy.com/255-70-18/falken-tires/wildpeak-a-t3w/tirecode/28034841
Front: J.E. Reel 3118JL-24F-BFGD Heavy Duty 1310 Front Drive Shaft for 18-20 Jeep JL Wrangler with Automatic Transmission
Rear: J.E. Reel 3118JL-4R-BFGD Heavy Duty 1310 Rear Drive Shaft for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL with Automatic Transmission
Those drive shafts will fit, be fine. Question those tires though, mainly because of size. Really need to consider 35's with that lift.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those drive shafts will fit, be fine. Question those tires though, mainly because of size. Really need to consider 35's with that lift.
So the vehicle came stock with 255/70R18 All Season tires, They aren't bad, but eventually will wear out. What would be the benefit for 35's specifically, instead of a wider tire with a larger tread pattern? Besides the fact that'd id also have to get new wheels as well, up grading to a set of 20" instead of the stock. (Although, the stock is ugly so I might be doing it anyways in the future!)

Thanks so much for the help so far!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lmao, Fine fine. I will look into 35's instead. I want something around that price range.. do you have any suggestions? 😂😂

·
Registered
754 Posts
Look it's not THAT bad and it's your ride and money. I'd save and at least get some 285/70's or 305/70s if not 35's, but that is me. I bought 35's and had them in my garage before my ride was even bought. LOL The problem is 18's are a tad more expensive than the 17's most run. You have to be happy, not the internet.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
So the vehicle came stock with 255/70R18 All Season tires, They aren't bad, but eventually will wear out. What would be the benefit for 35's specifically, instead of a wider tire with a larger tread pattern? Besides the fact that'd id also have to get new wheels as well, up grading to a set of 20" instead of the stock. (Although, the stock is ugly so I might be doing it anyways in the future!)

Thanks so much for the help so far!
I'm guessing that you have 3.45 gears in your axles. Your stock tires are 32" tall. If you step up to anything larger than a 33" tire you will most likely lose 8th gear. For the price of those Wild Peaks you could probably find a set of Rubicon take off wheels/tires (look on craigslist/facebook market place) that measure 33" and have a more aggressive tread pattern. Just another piece of the puzzle to consider.

Reactions: Raiever

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm guessing that you have 3.45 gears in your axles. Your stock tires are 32" tall. If you step up to anything larger than a 33" tire you will most likely lose 8th gear. For the price of those Wild Peaks you could probably find a set of Rubicon take off wheels/tires (look on craigslist/facebook market place) that measure 33" and have a more aggressive tread pattern. Just another piece of the puzzle to consider.
Indeed, in accordance to the equipment listing "3.45 Overall Top Gear Ratio". I plan on buying new tires early next year anyways (aiming at about 30k miles on the stocks) due to a change in locations, so its not outside my budget/thought process. If I where to plan on re-gearing down the road, I imagine this would change all of this. I have read on it, but don't have any real details. Maybe I am just overall wrong. Do you have any type of information or a "Handbook" I can read on this?

Hey another question for you on the driveshafts. I have been trying to find out the torque values for the damn drive shafts pinion nuts/flanges. Most guides use a in/lb torque wrench with a memory gauge on it and I don't have one.. or rather have a torque without the gauge and don't want to buy another lol. Any assistance here?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts