Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to try to fit an oem 2018 soft top on to my 2009. I already see that i will need to make two plates and drill some holes.

Anyone else done this? Tips?

Thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you are talking about a 2018 JK soft top, it should fit with no mods on any JK. If you try to put an older soft top on a newer Jeep, I forget what year it changed, there is an interference between the plastic header and the center footman loop at the windshield, but the newer tops have a larger notch in the header to clear both the old and new footman loop location.

If you are talking about a 2018 JL soft top, that’s a completely different discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
I'm about to try to fit an oem 2018 soft top on to my 2009. I already see that i will need to make two plates and drill some holes.
What plates are you thinking you need to make? If you are talking about where the top bows connect to the sport bar, those brackets are available. Most of the time a seller of an OEM soft top does not include the brackets and screws because they generally come pre-installed from the factory and the seller does not take them off. (Since the attaching screws are under the padding they may not know they can easily be removed.)

Here are the two brackets for the 2018 soft top (there was a change from 2012 to 2013, but you need the brackets to match the year the top was made, not the year of the Jeep):

Here are the screws to attach the brackets. The holes in the sport bar are pre stamped.in the correct position.

I am not aware of any holes that need to be drilled for the installation of any top on a JK/JKU, not a factory top nor any aftermarket tops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The top is a mopar 2018. The brackets for that top will not fit my 2009. And the holes to mount the door rails are in different locations. Every parts site lists 2007 - 2018 as fitting each other. This is so weird. I will see what happens this weekend.

This is a cardboard cutout of the plate i will have to make.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Where on your Jeep do you plan to put the cardboard cutout? I have mounted a MOPAR top from a 2008 and from a 2016 on my 2013 JKU and both fit with no modifications, though the tops were of different design. The door surrounds from both designs use the same mounting holes and the only attachment points for the top itself are the brackets that mount on the rear of the sports bar, and the footman loops where it latches when closed at the top of the windshield. Those brackets look nothing like your cardboard cutout. Perhaps a photo of the mounting area of the top and a photo of the cardboard cutout held in place on the Jeep would help me visualize what you are looking at.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Are you sure your 2018 top is from a JKU and not a JLU? They were both produced in model year 2018. When you lay out the top fabric for a JKU it will have two tails (called sail panels) that come down from the rear corners. The JLU soft tops do not have them.

As far as I know, the attachment points for the brackets for both the 2007-2012 and 2013-2018 are the same, while as previously posted, the brackets themselves are different. Each bracket has 2 screws that fasten it to the sport bar. You do have to unzip and open the sport bar padding to find the holes to use to attach the bracket.

As for the knobs for the door surrounds, you will note that the end is threaded. That is because the shaft goes through the top of the sport bar and screws into the bottom (with the long shaft knobs). The padding even has openings where the knobs are used so you don't have to modify the padding. If the bracket don't fit and the door surrounds don't fit, something is wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the soft top part that is supposed to attach to the roll bar bracket and the bracket on my jeep.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
If photo 2 and 3 are of your Jeep, you have the bracket we are talking about. Except the bracket is for the 2007-12 Wrangler (which matches your model year), but the bracket needs to match the frame, not the MY of the Wrangler. Go back to my post #4 and the first item linked is for the frame for a 2013-18 soft top frame (and hence the top).

The item in photo #1 is part of the frame. That part is not available separately. Here is a link to that section of the frame.

Mastertop sells a top frame that duplicated the OEM 2012-2018 frame. Here are the instructions for installing the frame. Note steps 8, 9 and 10. They show the correct bracket which mounts to the rear sport bar, and the method of attaching the frame to the bracket.

·
Registered
751 Posts
rgreen65 is correct in stating that the bracket you currently have bolted to your sports bar is for the older style soft top, but your BIG issue is that the picture of the soft top mechanism you posted is for a JL and not a JK. That is why your door surrounds aren’t matching up either. As was stated earlier in this thread, Jeep manufactured both the JK’s and JL’s for the 2018 model year. The 2018 soft top you purchased is for a JL and is not compatible with your JK.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
OP - here is another question to answer - do the windows have zippers? IIRC, the JL windows have no zippers. The rear quarter windows also attach to the rear windows (the same as the Trektop NX tops to for both the TJ and JL)

Here is a set on installation instructions -

Compare your windows to the diagrams P, Q and R on page 1. If they match, then you have a JLU soft top, not a JKU soft top.

If you do, then not all is lost. The retail price of a JLU soft top with tinted windows is $1800 (incl shipping) - the primary sources are from Mopar and Bestop (who charges $2000 for theirs).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts