Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering holding out for the diesel to buy my new Jeep but not only have they not come out yet but now I am hearing a rumor that there is a waiting list at dealerships!
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

·
One Happy Camper
246 Posts
I signed up for an Acid Yellow waiting list back in December 2016. The list was real, but Acid Yellow never made it out of the factory and appears to have been replaced with Baja Yellow for the 2018 JKs lol

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Will have to call the dealer to confirm. Wanting a JT/Diesel, but the diesel better not be one of those dinky 2.4L deals. I want something heavy duty in the next rig.

O_E

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
A 2018 diesel is a definitely no, at this point.

A end-of 2019 diesel is a possibility, but with all the "diesel gate" legal actions still unfolding for FCA, I would not risk even a penny deposit.

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
^^^ There is no dieselgate from FCA, they have cleared EPA and are allowed to restart buliding/selling ecodiesels

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
So, you're claiming that there will indeed be a US 2018 Wrangler with a diesel?

Diesel Gate is affecting every manufacturer, whether they are involved or not.
All I'm saying there is no diesel gate for FCA, unlike VW.

I'm not claiming anything else :mooning:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
All I'm saying there is no diesel gate for FCA, unlike VW.

I'm not claiming anything else :mooning:
OK. I am claiming that the EPA investigated FCA's diesels. You claim no. I am claiming that FCA had to update its software, on 100,000 sold vehicles and on new vehicles, because of that investigation. You claim no.

:tomatoes:

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
OK. I am claiming that the EPA investigated FCA's diesels. You claim no. I am claiming that FCA had to update its software, on 100,000 sold vehicles and on new vehicles, because of that investigation. You claim no.

:tomatoes:
I claim FCA is over the EPA hurdle, per the article. They did not get the fines nor penatlies that VW did. I wouldn't even call it dieselgate. People tend to think that FCA dieselgate is the same as VW dieselgate, not even close.

I also claim I done with this dumb thread.

·
Registered
240 Posts
^^^ There is no dieselgate from FCA, they have cleared EPA and are allowed to restart buliding/selling ecodiesels
So, you're claiming that there will indeed be a US 2018 Wrangler with a diesel?

Diesel Gate is affecting every manufacturer, whether they are involved or not.
I could be wrong but I thought diesel had been confirmed for 2018. Extreme Terrain seems to think so too as they're giving one away, unless they're doing an engine swap:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-giveaway.html

·
Registered
163 Posts
A 2018 diesel is a definitely no, at this point.
I remember Extreme Terrain announcing a giveaway and one of the vehicles was a 2dr 2018 diesel. Looks like the winner of that giveaway might be waiting a little longer than originally planned...

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Over here nearly all the JK's ever sold are diesel, with a 2.8L 4cyl Turbo Diesel and for a lot of years it was the only engine available in a JK. We only got the Pentastar in 2016 because the old Diesel didn't meet the latest emissions regulations, although they pass now and are available again. I bought my JKUR in 2016 because I wanted the Pentastar motor. The Diesel does the job, but it needs a better gearbox than the current auto. Its not that exciting to drive though, and its not the torque-monster that I think people are hoping for.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Pure guess here, but given the current stigma here in the US regarding diesel vehicles, I expect it'll be a very long time before we see a JL version. Possibly NEVER.

And.... If we do see one, it'll be a powerless dud.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hybrid is the way they'll go. 2.0L turbo gasoline, with an electric motor supplementing it seems to be the way most are heading. Even the diehards can't argue with an engine combination that delivers virtually 100% of it's torque from any rpm!

·
One Happy Camper
246 Posts
An administrator on the JL forum outlined leaked details from the FCA dealer meeting last month. The line item pertinent to this thread is:

• Diesel late 2019MY availability (and pending EPA certification)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts