Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some answers on prepping my 18 JKU for basic towing. I've seen some threads about this topic, but most don't seem to cover up to the '18 model. How do I know if this Jeep came with a tow prep package? Was that offered in '18? Is reprogramming the computer part of that and if so what exactly does the reprogramming cover? Can it be done with JScan if so? Can someone explain to me how wiring up a brake controller works on the JK (I know how the device works, I mean if anything specific to the JK). I know the Mopar 4 pin harness was added, but other than that I don't know what else.

·
Super Moderator
22,918 Posts
Enter your vin here. FCA RAM

an 18 is no different than any jk as far as towing.

Reactions: lioneljeeper

·
Super Moderator
15,631 Posts
In 2018 there were 2 tow packages available for the JK(U)

The tow package included a hitch and 4 pin wiring.
The MAX tow package included 3.73 gears along with the hitch and 4 pin wiring.
The link in the post above will tell you if your model came with with either of those packages.

The hitch and wiring are available from most vendors and aren't much money. Here's an example from Quadratec LINK

There's nothing else you need to do, there's no difference in computer programming, etc.

You can find all the tow specs HERE

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
All JKs / JKUs came with the electronic programming that is supposed to help with sway control. It did not matter if it came with either of the tow packages or not. But if you have the 3.73 or 4.10 gears it will tow better and be rated to tow more.
There is a Mopar wire harness you can buy for the brake controller and 7 pin connection. Or you can pull your own wires. There is nothing special about the JK / JKU with regard to brake controllers. I just installed a Redarc proportional brake controller with a remotely mounted adjuster knob. So far I am very happy with it. The main box mounts down at the floor / kick panel while the adjuster knob mounts to the dash.
You just need a power feed, brake signal output wire, brake signal input wire, and ground for the controller. I pulled the rest of the seven pin connection wires from the 4 pin ours already had, except for the reverse lights which I just spliced into at one of the tail lights. I pulled the brake signal from the senter brake light, because the brake switch on the brake pedal was too hard to access. Easier to pull it from the center brake light.
I ordered a Mopar wiring harness, but it did not arrive in time so I pulled my own wires. I will likely install the Mopar harness at some point as I am sure it is a cleaner install than what I have.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
Thank you. I would seem my JKU did not come with the tow package.
What gear ratio does it have? It is possible to have the 3.73 or 4.10 gears and not have a tow package. But with those gears and a hitch you can tow up to 3500 lbs legally. With the 3.21 gears I believe you are limited to 2000 lbs.
You can regear, to 3.73, 4.10, or higher, gears and you will increase the ability of your JKU to tow. But technically it doesn't change the tow rating.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What gear ratio does it have? It is possible to have the 3.73 or 4.10 gears and not have a tow package. But with those gears and a hitch you can tow up to 3500 lbs legally. With the 3.21 gears I believe you are limited to 2000 lbs.
You can regear, to 3.73, 4.10, or higher, gears and you will increase the ability of your JKU to tow. But technically it doesn't change the tow rating.
I have 3.73 gearing. The hitch is a Quadratec branded unit mounted to the OEM steel bumper.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
I have 3.73 gearing. The hitch is a Quadratec branded unit mounted to the OEM steel bumper.
So, even without either of the "Tow Packages" you have a JKU with a 3500 lb tow rating. You should be good to go. No programming or other dealer input is required. If you are using a trailer with brakes and a 7 pin connector you need to add that, along with the brake controller. The 7 pin harness is available as a Mopar part for just over $100. It is supposed to be plug and play.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, even without either of the "Tow Packages" you have a JKU with a 3500 lb tow rating. You should be good to go. No programming or other dealer input is required. If you are using a trailer with brakes and a 7 pin connector you need to add that, along with the brake controller. The 7 pin harness is available as a Mopar part for just over $100. It is supposed to be plug and play.
Perfect thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
If you need it, this is the Mopar 7 pin harness
Mopar 82210214AB 7 Way Round Trailer Connector for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just a thought concerning the Mopar wiring harness is the gage wire used. I looked at the Mopar kit when wiring my JKU to tow a Casita travel trailer as it would be easier than putting together my own wiring harness. My JKU has the max tow package. My concern with the kit is the wires looked to be 14 gage. This would be adequate for the power wire to the electric brakes on the trailer assuming there won't be more than one braked axle on the trailer. The charge wire for the trailer battery was the bigger concern for me. 14 gage is not big enough to supply sufficient amps to recharge your trailer battery while towing (talking small travel trailer or pop up). The JKU has a pretty long run from the engine bay to the 7 pin connector and with small wire you have too much voltage drop to get much charging. This wire needs to be 10 gage which is why I put together my own wiring harness all soldered connections with heat shrink to cover the connections/splices. Ran it inside the frame rails in flexible conduit. Brake and charge circuits protected by auto reset circuit breakers.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm looking for some answers on prepping my 18 JKU for basic towing. I've seen some threads about this topic, but most don't seem to cover up to the '18 model. How do I know if this Jeep came with a tow prep package? Was that offered in '18? Is reprogramming the computer part of that and if so what exactly does the reprogramming cover? Can it be done with JScan if so? Can someone explain to me how wiring up a brake controller works on the JK (I know how the device works, I mean if anything specific to the JK). I know the Mopar 4 pin harness was added, but other than that I don't know what else.

·
Super Moderator
22,918 Posts
Just a thought concerning the Mopar wiring harness is the gage wire used. I looked at the Mopar kit when wiring my JKU to tow a Casita travel trailer as it would be easier than putting together my own wiring harness. My JKU has the max tow package. My concern with the kit is the wires looked to be 14 gage. This would be adequate for the power wire to the electric brakes on the trailer assuming there won't be more than one braked axle on the trailer. The charge wire for the trailer battery was the bigger concern for me. 14 gage is not big enough to supply sufficient amps to recharge your trailer battery while towing (talking small travel trailer or pop up). The JKU has a pretty long run from the engine bay to the 7 pin connector and with small wire you have too much voltage drop to get much charging. This wire needs to be 10 gage which is why I put together my own wiring harness all soldered connections with heat shrink to cover the connections/splices. Ran it inside the frame rails in flexible conduit. Brake and charge circuits protected by auto reset circuit breakers.
Not saying your wrong but I have towed 3 different campers and was always surprised at how quick the trailer battery charged up to full charge when towed. My jayco had a dual battery set up the other two a single battery.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
I would not mind a larger wire to charge the trailer battery, but I have not heard of a single person saying that they had issues because the wire in the Mopar harness was too small.
While a larger wire for that would work, it seems that the smaller wire also works

1 - 14 of 14 Posts