Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, second Wrangler here. My 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL has 12K miles on it since new. Two months ago, the vehicle exhibited massive failures of what seems to be electrical issues. While driving at highway speeds, the electronic throttle warning came on, the antiskid, vehicle stability control, check engine light, among others came on. This also happened while driving on a twisty mountain road in the Sierras, and the steering went stiff, the engine reduced power nearly causing a bad accident. The vehicle has been in for this issue 5 times now, and each time it returns. Frankly, I don't feel safe driving it, to say nothing of taking it to a remote area! I've contacted Chrysler FCA several times now. My case manager elevated the case to dispute resolution, but they kicked it back to her. Now she's too busy to call me or talk about the issue. We have been without our Jeep now for going on six weeks. Extremely disappointed at FCA's lack of response or technical help to the dealer who has been working on it, or is trying to anyway. Oh, and they just got another one in with the same problem, it would seem that this is an engineering design error in the JL So beware, this vehicle could kill you if this happens. Pull off the road and call a tow truck. And don't expect FCA to help you with the problem. Probably going to have to go the legal route to get this resolved.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
This may be a dumb question/suggestion, but have you checked the charge on both the battery and the auxiliary battery? When I first purchased my 2018 JLUR I went to start it one day and while the starter initially kicked in, all of a sudden my dashboard went into convulsions, the tach and speedo were jumping around, every idiot light and warning flashed and it did this until I disconnected the battery terminal. The Jeep was towed to my local dealer, who diagnosed a dead battery and aux battery. The replaced both and tested the alternator (which was fine) and the issue never returned. But for about 1/2 hour I thought my Jeep was possessed.

Reactions: JLemon

·
Registered
900 Posts
My take as well. Get both batteries checked and replace them if necessary. Maybe they qualify as being warranty items. Worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, the dealer has been checking all systems on the vehicle. They even have a tech guy from FCA Chrysler trying to figure out what's wrong with it. The problem seems to happen after it's been running for about an hour. Again, no complaint on the dealer who is doing the best they can to diagnose.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Here is another one. Go open the fuse box. Push on every fuse. You will be surprised at how many are not seated properly.

·
Super Moderator
9,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about all the issues you are having with your JL. It’s never fun. Particularly with a relatively new vehicle.

Do you know why JeepCares kicked your case back down? Elevating is one of the few resorts we have. It’s almost as if they were daring you to seek legal counsel. I wonder if the pandemic has overloaded their system.

My 2018 JLU only has 4,700 miles, but it’s been totally trouble-free so far. Knock on wood.

The quality on these JLs appears to be getting worse with each passing year. It should be the exact opposite.

Hope you get things resolved.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about all the issues you are having with your JL. It’s never fun. Particularly with a relatively new vehicle.

Do you know why JeepCares kicked your case back down? Elevating is one of the few resorts we have. It’s almost as if they were daring you to seek legal counsel. I wonder if the pandemic has overloaded their system.

My 2018 JLU only has 4,700 miles, but it’s been totally trouble-free so far. Knock on wood.

The quality on these JLs appears to be getting worse with each passing year. It should be the exact opposite.

Hope you get things resolved.

Good luck.
Thanks! I'm not sure why they kicked it back. Hopefully the coming week will provide some answers. In the meantime, we've missed out on a summer of four wheeling, and we live in Utah so that's a big zero. I'll update as I can.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
That’s so sad. We wanted a new grand Cherokee for traveling, but reading the complaints on new Jeeps were THOUSANDS of complaints on electrical gremlins just like this that they cannot fix? I can understand having a few problems, but not being able to fix them is just not acceptable. I’ve got a 2015 Wrangler that’s been problem free which seems to be a fluke. And a 2004 with 200,000 miles and trouble free. They should be getting better not worse.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
That’s so sad. We wanted a new grand Cherokee for traveling, but reading the complaints on new Jeeps were THOUSANDS of complaints on electrical gremlins just like this that they cannot fix? I can understand having a few problems, but not being able to fix them is just not acceptable. I’ve got a 2015 Wrangler that’s been problem free which seems to be a fluke. And a 2004 with 200,000 miles and trouble free. They should be getting better not worse.
I wouldn’t say it’s a fluke, realistically you only hear from the few that have problems here on the webs and the 100s of thousands that don’t have issues. We have had 13 different Jeep Wranglers in the family since 2008 with very few issues. I also manage a large local Jeep club and again very few issues BUT there is always that Lemon or that guy that can break anything (A dealers worse nightmare).

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I wouldn’t say it’s a fluke, realistically you only hear from the few that have problems here on the webs and the 100s of thousands that don’t have issues. We have had 13 different Jeep Wranglers in the family since 2008 with very few issues. I also manage a large local Jeep club and again very few issues BUT there is always that Lemon or that guy that can break anything (A dealers worse nightmare).

To qualify my post on thousands. Actually only 1800. By fluke I’m actually glad my Jeeps are dependable. But if you read some of these complaints, the folks complaining have a hard time getting some of their problems resolved.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Why aren’t you pursuing a lemon law case if you have documented proof of the problems, repair attempts and time without the Jeep?

“The Utah lemon law establishes a presumption that a reasonable number of repair attempts has been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties if, within the express warranty term or during the period of one year following the date of the motor vehicle’s original delivery to a consumer, whichever is earlier, either of the following occurs:
1. The same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer, its agent or authorized dealer, but the nonconformity continues to exist; or
2. The motor vehicle is out of service to the consumer because of repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more business days.
The term of an express warranty, the one year period and the 30 day period are extended by any period of time during which repair services are not available to the consumer because of a war, invasion, strike or fire, flood or other natural disaster.”

Reactions: m998dna

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I once owned a car (Pontiac Bonneville SSE) that had a very clear electrical problem that would cause the entire car to come to a stop. Sometimes at a red light and sometimes at highway driving speed. The electrical system would just shut off the engine. Most times it had to be towed into the dealers shop, sometimes I would sit for an hour or more waiting for a tow truck. In almost every case, towed to dealer or wait an hour or two, the car would just start up and run fine until the next time it happened. This happened at least five or six times in a six month period of time.

I lived in Pennsylvania at the time and began the process of filing a Lemon Law complaint out against GM. As it turned out, I had leased the vehicle and in PA the legal owner was GMAC (General Motors Acceptance Corporation) and for the Lemon Law to be applied I had to get GMAC to agree to sue GM to take the car back......guess what it never happened. They refused and told me to continue to work with my dealer to find the problem.

After over six months of wrangling with no apparent solution, my wife and kids and I were on vacation in Ohio, several hours from home. The car died as I was pulling into our hotel for the night and the next morning it magically started up, and I drove it about five miles to a dealer in Ohio near where we were staying. I had to sit at the dealer for eight hours while they worked on my car (without an appointment) but guess what, they fixed it!!! It never happened again for the next three years that I owned it.

The moral of the story is, go to a different dealer, yours is apparently incapable of fixing the problem once and for all!

Reactions: SteedGun

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
To qualify my post on thousands. Actually only 1800. By fluke I’m actually glad my Jeeps are dependable. But if you read some of these complaints, the folks complaining have a hard time getting some of their problems resolved.
Electrical problems are by far the most complex and sometimes impossible to diagnose especially now a days with the computers controlling everything.
Considering FCA sells over 200,000 wranglers a year in the US alone, 1800 problems over a 2 and 1/2 year period of the JL model is very small percentage.

·
Super Moderator
9,267 Posts
With most automakers your past ownership experiences provide a good blueprint of your future ownership experiences. But with FCA all bets are off: there’s too much inconsistency between one Jeep and the next; between one dealer and the next. Our past trouble-free experiences don’t mean much; any of us can easily run into a bad Jeep and/or a bad Jeep dealer.

I have bought Chryslers, Dodges and Jeeps for 30+ years with good results: I knew what to expect and I got exactly that. But starting in 2012 things changed: I’ve gotten burned a few times now; about 1 vehicle in 5 has given me some sort of major issues.

I got a trouble-free Wrangler at the moment: I learned to appreciate my good fortune and enjoy it one day at a time.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Why keep trying to fix it? I would look into the lemon law. You obviously have a lemon, I’ve put 50k miles on a 2018 and have had no issues this far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had similar issues and it was a loose plug. The plugs and related wiring seems to be a little on the flimsy side. Hoping they find something simple.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
@JLemon , please verify that you have opened your fuse box and pushed down on fuses. It could be this simple.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts