Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally giving up my great 2009 Jeep Green JK. I am torn between 2 JLs. One is Billet Silver - the other Sting Gray. The Sting Gray is more expensive because it has a tow package ( I do have a small boat), 9 speaker Alpine speaker system, and the radio group (w/ Sirius, Google Android, Apple Carplay, etc.). Anyone care to help push me in one direction or another? What are others opinions on the two colors? Are the extras on the Sting Gray worth the extra cash? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would go with the billet silver. The sting gray just looks like a model car that someone glued together without painting.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I get a lot of compliments on my Sting Grey, and love how it has a different feel with different light conditions. I also have the tow package which also gives you a 4 & 7 pin harness, an upgraded alternator and the pre wired Aux switches. So it seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
597 Posts
I own a Billet Silver JK and say go for the Sting Gray. I prefer the flat paint finish over the metallic of the Billet Silver.

Reactions: aqualungs

·
Super Moderator
2,775 Posts
Subjective I guess but I love the Sting Gray. I’ve had boring silver a couple times. Such a cool looking color

Reactions: Jab1719

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sting Gray. Silver is too boring/common of a color for a Wrangler, for my tastes.

Reactions: Jab1719

·
Super Moderator
10,640 Posts
Personally, I find Sting Gray much more interesting than Billet.

Also, the Trailer Tow Group includes the Aux Switches already pre-wired, if you ever want to add off-road lights, onboard air and what not. And the 8.4 screen with Alpine sound is well worth it IMO.

·
Premium Member
10,151 Posts
Sooo... I have a 2013 Billet Silver 10A -- I like it on my 10A. But I've been contemplating a new JLUR...

I would go with one of the following: Granite Crystal Metallic or Sting-Gray...

Why consider Sting-Gray?

Its more a military color... perfect gray drab.

Here are a few configurations available on the 2020 Rubicon...

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sting gray was my second choice, but only you can decide the color. The aux switches are great, I highly recommend them. They give you wiring under the hood and in the passenger footwell. Also a 240 amp alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Made the decision. Bought the Sting Gray. Looks great. Major major learning curve with all the electronics and computer crap. My only gripe is the tires. They're just city/highway driving tires, not at all what a Wrangler should have as standard tires. I was going to move the tires from my trade in (which I bought in October 19) but the dealership would only do it if they could move the wheels with it and then charge me $200. I don't want the old wheels, but hell, after spending so much money, you'd think you'd get more "trail and all-weather friendly" tires.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Made the decision. Bought the Sting Gray. Looks great. Major major learning curve with all the electronics and computer crap. My only gripe is the tires. They're just city/highway driving tires, not at all what a Wrangler should have as standard tires. I was going to move the tires from my trade in (which I bought in October 19) but the dealership would only do it if they could move the wheels with it and then charge me $200. I don't want the old wheels, but hell, after spending so much money, you'd think you'd get more "trail and all-weather friendly" tires.

You didn’t know what tires were on it when you bought it? Did you buy a Sport?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya, it's a Sport. I guess I didn't know what kind of tires were on it. It didn't say on the window sticker and I couldn't tell from the pictures. My dealership got it from another dealership. They told me all Jeeps come with these type of tires - unless you go Sahara or Rubicon which is out of reach price-wise for me. My previous Jeep came with pretty decent tires, but these are not good and it's heavy snow weather now. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tow package is way to go. mine did not have so I added a hitch but I have not aux switches and I think tow package includes hi output alternator. Check that last thing though.

·
Super Moderator
10,640 Posts
Ya, it's a Sport. I guess I didn't know what kind of tires were on it. It didn't say on the window sticker and I couldn't tell from the pictures. My dealership got it from another dealership. They told me all Jeeps come with these type of tires - unless you go Sahara or Rubicon which is out of reach price-wise for me. My previous Jeep came with pretty decent tires, but these are not good and it's heavy snow weather now. We'll see how it goes.
You should be able to find Rubicon takeoff KO2 tires on Craigslist, and resell your OE tires.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes the tow package does come with a higher capacity battery, higher output alternator, the Aux switches, the 4 and 7 pin connectors and of course...the hitch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts