Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a diesel JL, but I'm (a little) hesitant due to the newness of the power train application in the Wrangler. Conventional wisdom says to avoid year #1, but is that truly a meaningful issue? Obviously, I'm weighing impatience against prudence.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
The JL forum is probably a better place for this but I'll give you my $0.02.

I would buy the oil burner in a heartbeat. The 3.0L diesel is a proven design and has the low end torque that would be a perfect fit in an off road vehicle.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I would never buy a first year of any model. I don't want to pay to work out the bugs for a company. Especially, one like FCA who does not care about their customers.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The 3.0 is too much engine for a JL. They should have gone with a four banger, like GM did with the Colorado/Canyon.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I had the funds I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I have a '16 ram ecodiesel and I think that engine is perfect for the JL. They put it in the grand Cherokee back in 14 when they first came out and I was pissed they didn't put it in the jk at that time

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I would never buy a first year of any model. I don't want to pay to work out the bugs for a company. Especially, one like FCA who does not care about their customers.
If you know Chrysler well enough, you should know that they introduce new bugs for each model year. Look at all the no-start issues with the 2018 JK. haha.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
You could end up with a 'beefed-up' Sport for much less if you select the diesel option. That option adds stronger front axle, stronger auto tranny, 3.73 gears and a limited slip rear. Heck a diesel Rubicon only gets 3.73 gears. The Sport will cost much less and end up being a pretty decent crawler.

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts
The 3.0 is a unproven motor. Proceed with caution.

The real expenses will occur once it’s out of warranty.

·
Registered
754 Posts

Reactions: 87_WhyJay

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
If you know Chrysler well enough, you should know that they introduce new bugs for each model year. Look at all the no-start issues with the 2018 JK. haha.
I have a 2018 JK, and this is the first I've ever heard of this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would not buy the first model year... learned the hard way. Bought the first year EcoDiesel Ram and while I really liked the platform it was in the shop every 4-6 months for at least a week - more like 2 -3. All new fuel injectors, new DEF tank, entire new fuel system due to presence of metal shavings, and the list goes on. Sure it was all warrantied but I got feed up with it and traded it for a 2018 6.7 Cummins 2500.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 2018 JK, and this is the first I've ever heard of this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'm not surprised. This forum has some pessimists. I knew that I have to look past the usual Fiat-bashing to get meaningful answers.

BTW, I've owned two JK Pentastars with ZERO problems.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Check out the emission control system, depending on usage, repair & maintenance cost can very expensive
Exactly. I would only buy an ecodiesel id i were trading before warranty expires.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It only affected ones with the automatic transmission
It does not affect all the 18' JKs. Mine is a 18' Auto zero issues. It just a small number of Jeeps affected it also has an easy solution well documented on TSB, Jeep is well aware of the issue.

People currently struggling to fix it., its more related to dealers not willing to do what needs to be done, or not willing to listen to the costumer, and if FCA wants to get rid of that bad rap, it is the dealers is the first part they need to address. Countless of hours are wasted on diagnosing and trying to replicate issues that are most of the time already well documented, or that several vehicles have presented.

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts
It does not affect all the 18' JKs. Mine is a 18' Auto zero issues. It just a small number of Jeeps affected it also has an easy solution well documented on TSB, Jeep is well aware of the issue.

People currently struggling to fix it., its more related to dealers not willing to do what needs to be done, or not willing to listen to the costumer, and if FCA wants to get rid of that bad rap, it is the dealers is the first part they need to address. Countless of hours are wasted on diagnosing and trying to replicate issues that are most of the time already well documented, or that several vehicles have presented.
I never said it affected all 2018 JK’s.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I never said it affected all 2018 JK’s.
Yeah, the main point being that they had shit working for 10 years and then introduced a bug in the last year. Same goes with the shitty oil cooler redesign in 2014, the reprogramming of the auto to not shift out of first after stopping in 2013, and the shitty manual shifter lever redesign that breaks in two in 2015. You're going to get some problems no matter the year.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts