Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to find out what rear axle is in my 2020 JL. Anything I find on the web shows it to be a Dana 44 by shape but the 44 apparently has a 10 bolt pattern, mine has 12 bolts. According to the window sticker it is an M200. The only thing I can find on the M200 is it is maybe an ARB air locker?
Can anyone lead me to where I can find more info on this?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Dana is listing their axles now as the ring size in MM so basically that is is a 7.87" ring gear which I think is ~ to a dana 35. Dana list that axle for a small SUV.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
You can get the build sheet from the link below.. It has more axle info than the window sticker.

Copy this link and paste in in your browser.. Add your VIN right after the = at the end with no spaces.
Code:
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
The M220 (JLD44) only available in the Rubicon is the closest but just a bit smaller 8.5” ring gear then the JKD44 ring gear which is 8.9”.
M200 (D35)is the Sport/Sahara rear.
M186 (D30)is the Sport/Sahara front

OPTION LIST:

JL Sport (standard)
M186 Front Axle / M200 Rear Axle

JL Sahara (standard)
M186 Front Axle / M200 Rear Axle

JL Rubicon (standard)
Dana M210 Wide Front Axle / Dana M220 Wide Rear Axle

JL Sahara (optional package)
M186 Front Axle / Dana Wide M220 Rear Axle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The M220 (JLD44) only available in the Rubicon is the closest but just a bit smaller 8.5” ring gear then the JKD44 ring gear which is 8.9”.
M200 (D35)is the Sport/Sahara rear.
M186 (D30)is the Sport/Sahara front.

This is not entirely correct. The M220 is available on the Sport/Sahara if you get the anti-spin differential option.

To know if you have an M220 or M200, take a look at this thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f714/dana-35-vs-dana-44-how-to-tell-the-difference-2332697.html

Judging by the picture, OP has an M200 or Dana 35.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
This is not entirely correct. The M220 is available on the Sport/Sahara if you get the anti-spin differential option.

To know if you have an M220 or M200, take a look at this thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f714/dana-35-vs-dana-44-how-to-tell-the-difference-2332697.html

Judging by the picture, OP has an M200 or Dana 35.
https://www.lithiachryslermissoula....missoula-c040fa310a0e0ae84f476068455577a3.htm
this has anti-spin and M200 rear axle. I pulled up many sports and saharas with anti spin nd never found one that indicated M220 rear axle. every rubicon window sticker clearly states M220 axle. Not saying you are wrong but seems like in all the ones I have pulled up it would have indicated as such.

Reactions: tartangirl

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
https://www.lithiachryslermissoula....missoula-c040fa310a0e0ae84f476068455577a3.htm
this has anti-spin and M200 rear axle. I pulled up many sports and saharas with anti spin nd never found one that indicated M220 rear axle. every rubicon window sticker clearly states M220 axle. Not saying you are wrong but seems like in all the ones I have pulled up it would have indicated as such.

I don't trust dealer descriptions. I have seen plenty of JLs listed as having automatic transmissions when in reality they have manual transmissions. M200 is the standard equipment, so that's why they probably list it that way, but the window sticker does not indicate that that is in fact the case.

The thread that I linked shows pictures of rear axles on 2 JL Sports, one of which is mine. Mine has the anti-spin diff with the M220 axle, also confirmed by the shop that performed the regear on my JL.

The best way to tell is to look at the visual differences between the differentials that I point out in that thread.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I don't trust dealer descriptions. I have seen plenty of JLs listed as having automatic transmissions when in reality they have manual transmissions. M200 is the standard equipment, so that's why they probably list it that way, but the window sticker does not indicate that that is in fact the case.

The thread that I linked shows pictures of rear axles on 2 JL Sports, one of which is mine. Mine has the anti-spin diff with the M220 axle, also confirmed by the shop that performed the regear on my JL.

The best way to tell is to look at the visual differences between the differentials that I point out in that thread.
very true.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the M220 in my JL Sport. I was very confused by this and did a lot of research on it. Some JLs, doesn't seem to be exclusive to any particular configuration, have the M220 but the vast majority outside of the Rubi's have the M200.

I even thought it was a labelling mistake so before I bought it, I went out and checked the axle tag and it is 100% a M220 from the factory.

Just doesn't have lockers or anything.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Sports got the rear M220 if you selected the manual transmission OR the Trac-Lok differential, right? No surprise there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
from what i know the dana m200 is the there new 3 gen replacement axle for the dana 35. i am not sure but i think it has ball bearings instead of roller bears for gas mileage. i think they also made it lighter too. i am not 100% sure on any of this so don't take this a facts

i still can't belive jeep went away from the dana 44 in the rear. it was bad enough when you had a none rubbi with a dana 30 in the front.

·
Retired Moderator
100,488 Posts
from what i know the dana m200 is the there new 3 gen replacement axle for the dana 35. i am not sure but i think it has ball bearings instead of roller bears for gas mileage. i think they also made it lighter too. i am not 100% sure on any of this so don't take this a facts

i still can't belive jeep went away from the dana 44 in the rear. it was bad enough when you had a none rubbi with a dana 30 in the front.
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can get the build sheet from the link below.. It has more axle info than the window sticker.

Copy this link and paste in in your browser.. Add your VIN right after the = at the end with no spaces.
Code:
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=
Didn’t work for me. Just took me to Jeep.com. Darn

·
Registered
2,928 Posts

Yes actually from what others have posted ALL of the new AdvanTek axles are using ball bearing pinion bearings now for fuel efficiency. This is reportedly why some have already failed after being lifted and changing pinion angle. Dana made things smaller and lighter but they claim the gearset is 8% stronger.

On the JT, the axle tubes are also thicker and stronger vs. JL.

There are a LOT of variations depending on model and trim and it's getting hard to keep up with these days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Our JT Max Tow wide trak axles are even thicker then the standard JT axles.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Damn, so new jl sports have weak sauce axles! Cant believe they went back to a dana 35, then have the nerve to say its 8% stronger....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts