Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

2020 Soft top unlatches while driving

4K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  2020Willys 
#1 ·
Hi All,

New to the site. I picked up my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys with the premium sunrider soft top on February 29th. This is my 3rd Wrangler over the years and each one has had a soft top and I've never had this problem before.

I'm writing to see if anyone else is having issues with the latches coming undone on their soft tops? Every time I have driven on the highway with the top on, one or both latches have come undone. It is most frequently the passenger side latch, but both have come undone. The hook has stayed in and I have been able to reach over and secure the latch, but it is rather unsettling and pretty dangerous. Until last night, the passenger side latch had only come undone above 70 mph. As I was driving over the canyon the latch came undone at maybe 30 mph.

If anyone else is having this problem can you please let me know? I'm wondering if there is a way to tighten the latches or if they are defective.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Take it back to your Dealer..

#4 ·
Hi All,

New to the site. I picked up my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys with the premium sunrider soft top on February 29th. This is my 3rd Wrangler over the years and each one has had a soft top and I've never had this problem before.

I'm writing to see if anyone else is having issues with the latches coming undone on their soft tops? Every time I have driven on the highway with the top on, one or both latches have come undone. It is most frequently the passenger side latch, but both have come undone. The hook has stayed in and I have been able to reach over and secure the latch, but it is rather unsettling and pretty dangerous. Until last night, the passenger side latch had only come undone above 70 mph. As I was driving over the canyon the latch came undone at maybe 30 mph.

If anyone else is having this problem can you please let me know? I'm wondering if there is a way to tighten the latches or if they are defective.

Thanks!
I had an 07 that did the same thing. I replaced the plastic soft top header with a metal one from qudadratec and it solved my issue.

#7 ·
Thanks for checking SteedGun. I have an appointment at the dealer on Friday and I'll definitely let you know what happens. Do you have a 2020 Sunrider Soft Top? If anything, it was difficult to clamp on my last 2 jeeps, but I'm thinking there may be a design flaw with the new top. This morning in came undone on the passenger side at the car wash.

#8 ·
I have an 18 and no issues until last week the passenger side came undone.. or did it not get latched right. I figured my wife bumped it or I did it.. until now. It was creepy because I was in the highway and it opened up. Had this JL since February 2018 and now issues

Welcome to the forum!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Thanks Aqualungs. If you have had it for a couple years without a problem, hopefully it was just not latched properly. It is really creepy though and not easy to secure on the passenger side while driving on the highway. I don't know if the tops are different between the '18 and '20. I haven't had this Jeep that long, but it has been pretty consistent with 1 (usually the passenger side) or both latches coming undone when I get above 70 mph.

I'll let you know what I find out on Friday. I'm hoping it is an easy fix.

#10 ·
Yes. I ordered my 2020 JLUR with the dual top option so I have a hard top and a Premium Soft Top (it does sunrider option). Mine latches tight and good so far even at 80+ MPH. My 2014 also had the Premium Soft Top but the latch is different on that Jeep. I honestly like the 2020 version better but you need to use two hands when latching. One to push the top forward and down and the other to latch.

#12 ·
Yes, all the time. It is in sunrider position right now. I have gone up to 80+ MPH but you cannot do that in sunrider mode with the rear windows in. My windows are stored. Max speed I will do sunrider with the rear windows in is 40 MPH. Faster than that and you put significant pressure on your back window. The pressure is inward not outward as one might think.

#14 ·
Hey @2020Willys I agree that this is a dealership issue. Not something I've heard of being an issue before, at all.
As for Sunrider mode, I've run in all configurations including Sunrider open with windows in and not ever felt the need to restrict my speed. Yes the windows will pull in due to a Venturi Effect, but that's fine it's just a difference in air pressure.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

#17 ·
Thanks SteedGun! I haven't even used the straps yet, but I want to. I just figured out how to secure the backseat when it is folded up. And actually, I have been meaning to get some straps for the seatbelts in the back seat to keep them from flapping in the wind. So thanks for the reminder.

#16 ·
Hi All,

I brought my jeep to the dealer yesterday to get the latches checked out. They said they were faulty and ordered new ones. They expect to have them in about a week and I'll let you know the result once they are installed. On my return, both the driver's side and passenger's side latches came undone, more than they stayed fastened, and I basically drove home with one hand on the wheel and one hand holding down the roof. I'm hoping new latches will solve that problem.

I have to say, if any of you are in Southern California and know someone looking for a Jeep, Rydell in San Fernando is fantastic. I almost didn't even consider them when I was looking, because they are pretty far away from me (in LA miles), but I have zero complaints from initial contact through my latest service call. I think so many people have bad dealer experiences, and I've had a few, but the entire team at Rydell deserves a shout out among Jeep enthusiasts. I don't work for them, they have just been really great.

#22 ·
Hi All,

I brought my jeep to the dealer yesterday to get the latches checked out. They said they were faulty and ordered new ones. They expect to have them in about a week and I'll let you know the result once they are installed. On my return, both the driver's side and passenger's side latches came undone, more than they stayed fastened, and I basically drove home with one hand on the wheel and one hand holding down the roof. I'm hoping new latches will solve that problem.

I have to say, if any of you are in Southern California and know someone looking for a Jeep, Rydell in San Fernando is fantastic. I almost didn't even consider them when I was looking, because they are pretty far away from me (in LA miles), but I have zero complaints from initial contact through my latest service call. I think so many people have bad dealer experiences, and I've had a few, but the entire team at Rydell deserves a shout out among Jeep enthusiasts. I don't work for them, they have just been really great.
Welcome to the forum!

Good to hear the dealer is taking care of you.

Let us know how you fare with this issue.

#19 ·
Hi All,

I brought my Jeep in today. It took a little longer than the initial estimate, but not too bad considering the pandemic. Anyway, the good news is that they replaced the latches and they stayed hooked on the highway on my way home. I will give it a few more tries before I'm convinced that they are fixed.

The bad news is that they accidentally cracked the plastic arms on the top. They were very upfront and profusely apologetic and ordered replacement parts which should take 7 days. Anyway, just wanted to close the loop on this and thank you fro all of your insight.

#21 ·
Hi SteedGun,

No, it is one of the plastic pieces near the back of the top on the driver's side. They said they were going to replace both the driver's and passengers side. I'm not sure how it happened, but I'm glad they admitted it and said they would take care of it. To be continued...

#24 ·
Well, I have an idea. I think they were torquing the top down while replacing the latches and got it too tight. Hopefully they get you all fixed soon. Here in Utah we just went to hot for us. 102. I still have the soft top on but I do close it all up when it gets this hot. Hopefully, next week we cool down. Top open and 70-85 degrees is heaven.

#27 ·
I did not put up a picture but you can also take the top all the way back. You can also remove four screws and take it all off. If you do that get someone to help you as it is not terribly heavy but quite cumbersome. I do it by myself but it would be best to have a second hand.

#31 ·
Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that I brought my Jeep back to the dealer to have the plastic rods replaced on Thursday. They took care of it without a problem and so far the new latches have held on the highway. If anyone else is having issues with the latches (a few others have commented with similar complaints on JL Wrangler Forums), I say take it back and have them replaced for peace of mind and safety and if the latches are in fact faulty, there should be a recall.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and support while I figured this out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.