Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate that this is my first post, but I just experienced while driving a completely glitched dash screen and loss of power steering, ABS, auto start, shifter…and probably more since I had to focus on not crashing. Anyone else have an experience like this?
Jeep is less than 2 years old with <20k on it and no off-roading.
Thanks for any help. That was scary.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Maybe a loose battery cable?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I had something similar happen. It was a bad connection to the security module under the dash in my case. Actually, it was a bad jumper cable to extend the two wire bundles going to the security module. When that was removed everything is back to normal.

·
Premium Member
9,987 Posts
At two years of age, the factory battery may also be an issue. Have it load tested as well as check the cable connections. I got 3 1/2 years out of my factory battery on my JK, but that is far longer than most.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep wrangler
31 Posts
Do you have a winch or radio or something wired to the battery? I had an issue with my jk months after installing a quick connect for my winch and my jumper cables. My Jeep would light up the dash with every error light it had then it would just go away. I didn’t notice any loss of power steering but I was going straight. It happened multiple times before I took it to the dealer. They said I had my power wires connected to the wrong stud on my battery posts. . I honestly didn’t think it mattered but after they swapped them I never had the issue. Since you guys are talking about batteries. Mine lasted 6 years in my jk before I had to replace it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a winch or radio or something wired to the battery? I had an issue with my jk months after installing a quick connect for my winch and my jumper cables. My Jeep would light up the dash with every error light it had then it would just go away. I didn’t notice any loss of power steering but I was going straight. It happened multiple times before I took it to the dealer. They said I had my power wires connected to the wrong stud on my battery posts. . I honestly didn’t think it mattered but after they swapped them I never had the issue. Since you guys are talking about batteries. Mine lasted 6 years in my jk before I had to replace it.
No mods on it yet. What ever it is, it’s from the factory…

·
Super Moderator
13,100 Posts
I’ve seen other posts like this; sometimes it happened as soon as the Jeep was driven off the lot.

From what I recall, it was the auxiliary battery not keeping charge, and/or a defective auxiliary battery charging harness.

Hope you get it resolved quickly.

·
Super Moderator
13,100 Posts
BTW - the dealer will likely replace the auxiliary battery with a new one of the exact same type. The only way to move on from this happening again is by swapping out that crummy OE battery.

Whenever you have a weekend over the next couple months with 3-4 hours to spare, drive to your local O’Reilly’s Auto Parts store, buy one of their Super Start batteries, and swap it out. Their parts counter staff is pretty good at telling you exactly what battery you need.

There are two methods for swapping out the auxiliary battery: (1) through the front passenger-side fender, and (2) through the engine compartment. Dealers normally use Method (1). I prefer Method (2): it is more time consuming but it is also more fool-proof. You don’t have to cut fender rivets, pull out the fender liner, or any of that stuff.

Feel free to Google YouTube for videos on how to do it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've read on another Jeep forum that some of the symptoms can be caused by a harness located near the front sway bar that chafes and causes intermittent shorts.

·
Super Moderator
13,100 Posts
Keep tabs on how many days you’ve lost use of your Jeep, and on the number of failed attempts to fix the vehicle.

In most states, after 30 days in the shop you can start buyback proceedings.

Have you opened a case with Stellantis Customer Care yet? Doing so helps document your interactions with the dealer, and puts the dealer on notice.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts