Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of my 2021 Unlimited Sport yesterday. Took it for a tour on city streets and crossed a rough patch of pavement at 45 mph. Had never heard of death wobble. I do now Know what it is.

Lost control of Jeep and went into the ditch, taking out a cable company metal box about the size of a stove and 50 feet of fencing. Front of Jeep is destroyed, right side is bashed to hell. My adjuster, on first glance of the photos, said the thing is a write off. Contacted dealer and explained what happened; and they advised I “bring it in”. The stupidity of these clowns is amazing.

The only call I’m making Monday is to my lawyer. This bloody Jeep is a piece of sh#t. THEY ARE DANGEROUS. DO NOT BUY OR DRIVE A 2021 WRANGLER. DEATH TRAP.

it was damn scary. There is nothing you can do until the Jeep stops. No amount of strong arming would gain control of it. And it veered violently from side to side.

I am going to sue the bee Jesus out of FCA and the dealership.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
Maybe wait until you see what FCA is willing to do before going off the deep end and yelling "lawyer" and "sue" right out of the box. You might be surprised.

Also, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe wait until you see what FCA is willing to do before going off the deep end and yelling "lawyer" and "sue" right out of the box. You might be surprised.

Also, welcome aboard.
I suppose you are right. I should just calm down and ask the dealer for a complimentary key chain and a free oil change. That should fix things up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Death wobble does not present on a new Jeep. Was this Jeep lifted by the dealer? I suspect that something else was loose or wrong.
The truck is stock, no mods of any sort. Why does death wobble not present on a new Jeep? Is it only on a modified unit? A query of the NHTSA database seems to indicate death wobble conditions on quite a few “new” units. Granted, the reports are self reported. Who knows?

if not death wobble, this would be called “earth quake shaking of steering wheel” and no way to stop it or gain control if it. No way a new vehicle should do what it did. No way I’m getting into a new Wrangler. It’s likely a write off, so I won’t be out too much green.

on the upside, air bags were flawless. Front end was obliterated.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
The truck is stock, no mods of any sort. Why does death wobble not present on a new Jeep? Is it only on a modified unit? A query of the NHTSA database seems to indicate death wobble conditions on quite a few “new” units. Granted, the reports are self reported. Who knows?

if not death wobble, this would be called “earth quake shaking of steering wheel” and no way to stop it or gain control if it. No way a new vehicle should do what it did. No way I’m getting into a new Wrangler. It’s likely a write off, so I won’t be out too much green.

on the upside, air bags were flawless. Front end was obliterated.
The cases of death wobble that I know of are due to worn out bushings or other parts. I am very glad you are not injured. I have owned six different Jeeps and never had death wobble. However, I do replace my factory suspension threaded bolts with shoulder bolts and I always check suspension bolts from the factory. Let us know what they find out because this one is a very odd occurrence as far as I know and if it happened to you it can happen again. Let's just say Jeep does not have the best record for putting stuff together right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cases of death wobble that I know of are due to worn out bushings or other parts. I am very glad you are not injured. I have owned six different Jeeps and never had death wobble. However, I do replace my factory suspension threaded bolts with shoulder bolts and I always check suspension bolts from the factory. Let us know what they find out because this one is a very odd occurrence as far as I know and if it happened to you it can happen again. Let's just say Jeep does not have the best record for putting stuff together right.
I’m expecting a battle. FCA does its best to not admit fault or liability. I will update on what happens. I have zero time to waste, just gonna let my lawyer handle it. I truly hope no one suffers injury or death from a similar incident. The police department said an accident investigator would be examining the vehicle, too.

·
Retired Moderator
104,309 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: Clyde45

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Welcome Aboard! A brand new JL shouldn't have issues with death wobble. Not straight out the "box". I am interested to see what they say about it and if there was something unusual with it. This certainly is not a common occurrence. Good luck with your fight against Stellantis though!

Reactions: SteedGun

·
Premium Member
10,374 Posts
crossed a rough patch of pavement at 45 mph.
let's hear more about the "rough patch"... do you have a photo you can show for perspective? Also, sure you didn't break a suspension component while hitting the "rough patch" ?

I've witnessed a car running over a pothole and suddenly veered to the right and hit a telephone pole.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
let's hear more about the "rough patch"... do you have a photo you can show for perspective? Also, sure you didn't break a suspension component while hitting the "rough patch" ?

I've witnessed a car running over a pothole and suddenly veered to the right and hit a telephone pole.
The pavement went from new to old. There was a 5 foot section/length “rough” transition where the new section was about 1 inch higher than the other, but the bump was not a 90 degree angle, it was fairly smooth. I’ve driven over it a hundred times in my Mustang at the posted limit, 45 mph. I guess that could break a Jeep’s suspension part? As soon as I passed over it, the steering wheel shook violently And the Jeep moved quickly from left to right, violently and repeatedly. Unfortunately, I couldn’t take control, it pulled to the right and I struck the cable company’s utility box at an angle and proceeded to then take out about 8 segments of chain link fence. I think the Jeep’s driver seat is now brown. Maybe this Jeep was a lemon? Maybe a bolt was loose? Dunno. No way this should happen on a factory order build, or any new build. I sure miss my TJ. I got 200,000 miles out of it. Bough the JL to replace it. Should have rebuilt the TJ. Might just do that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never heard of death wobble. i had an old Katana 1100 and you could get a power wobble which you could accelerate out of. Different matter altogether. I’ve done some Googling and there seems to be a ton of alleged causes and fixes.

I don’t know the history. Was this a known issue? could a new JL suffer a death wobble? This one was bone stock.

·
Premium Member
10,374 Posts
I guess that could break a Jeep’s suspension part?
well.. at this point we're guessing. I was trying to learn more about your situation and used an analogy where I witnessed a suspension part being snapped when a car hit a pothole, then it veered and hit a telephone pole.

The older lady driving the car was seriously injured... she had a huge gash across her forehead.

Be glad you weren't injured....

·
Premium Member
10,374 Posts
I don’t know the history. Was this a known issue? could a new JL suffer a death wobble? This one was bone stock.
Yes, there were reports of the JL with death wobble problems... the 2018/19 model years.

Reactions: Amanda J

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well.. at this point we're guessing. I was trying to learn more about your situation and used an analogy where I witnessed a suspension part being snapped when a car hit a pothole, then it veered and hit a telephone pole.

The older lady driving the car was seriously injured... she had a huge gash across her forehead.

Be glad you weren't injured....
You got that right. Metal is replaceable. People are not.

·
Retired Moderator
104,309 Posts
I never heard of death wobble. i had an old Katana 1100 and you could get a power wobble which you could accelerate out of. Different matter altogether. I’ve done some Googling and there seems to be a ton of alleged causes and fixes.

^^^ Here you go, learn about DW.?

Reactions: Jay2011JK
1 - 20 of 335 Posts