Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two oil leaks; Jeep Wrangler has under 5000 miles, now FCA does not have a fix and will not replace engine. Dealership has been very helpful and trying all they can do to help. FCA wants dealership to tear down the engine to see what could be the possible cause. Enough people have had these leaks they should not have to research on mine. This is a very poor solution and not a good way to earn trust of your customers!

Update: After 4 weeks of having our Jeep in the shop and complete tear down of engine. The Senior Technical Advisor instructed the dealership to grind down the engine block (manufacture defect) and add new O-Rings. Dealer disagreed with solution; already made this repair once before but said they had to follow the direction of STA. I am very sadden because up to this point I loved my previous two Jeeps and what the emblem stands for, I cannot say the same about FCA and their ability to stand behind such an iconic brand. Its unfortunate I will need to seek legal counsel and allow them to sort out this matter; costing more time and money for such nonsense...

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
100,523 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from, Cave Creek AZ.
What a horror story..

@JeepCares

·
Registered
541 Posts
Grinding down an OEM block casting so o rings seal properly? That sounds like some sh#t I would do to a 30 year old John Deere tractor with a blown gasket in my barn. That’s an absurd solution. The risk of human error, the risk of contaminants getting in the high pressure fuel system at some point, etc, etc, etc. Completely nuts. I’d check the lemon laws in your state. In NY, once you hit a certain number of days a new vehicle is out of service, it will automatically trigger a mandatory manufacturer buy back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Grinding down an OEM block casting so o rings seal properly? That sounds like some sh#t I would do to a 30 year old John Deere tractor with a blown gasket in my barn. That’s an absurd solution. The risk of human error, the risk of contaminants getting in the high pressure fuel system at some point, etc, etc, etc. Completely nuts. I’d check the lemon laws in your state. In NY, once you hit a certain number of days a new vehicle is out of service, it will automatically trigger a mandatory manufacturer buy back.
Seconding the researching of lemon laws. Many states also have a certain number of attempts to fix the same problem that will also make it qualify. Nevada is 3, California is 4, etc... Varies depending on state, but in Nevada I believe your car would qualify as a lemon with this repair.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Few of the early new 3.0 3rd gen had Timing cover gasket seal leak problems , I have not heard to many diesel problems , I had a 1st and 2nd gen 3.0 were pretty good till the 1st gen 3.0 EGR cooler sprung a coolant leak and did a EGR delete truck was very happy after that .
Just sucks to have a problem so early , I have had all makes and models of diesel , they all have flaws even the holy grail 12 valve Cummins had the KDP .
I have 2021 build month of march I guess it would be a later date , have not noticed any leaks yet … Thank god but did buy the extended for what ever thats worth .
Good luck buddy !

·
Registered
969 Posts
I had a good friend who had this diesel in a Ram 1500 pickup. Eventually FCA bought it back because it was nothing but problems since day 1. I’m assuming it’s basically the same motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a good friend who had this diesel in a Ram 1500 pickup. Eventually FCA bought it back because it was nothing but problems since day 1. I’m assuming it’s basically the same motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Different generation motor, I have 17k and counting (drove from NJ to CA and back) on my 2021 Willy's Diesel, no issues at all so to say we have to be "warned" for an issue on this one Rubicon is virtue signaling at it's finest..

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is more a refection on how poorly FCA handles a bad situation than the single sample size of one faulty unit.
That's all I'm taking away from this. Being that I'm in the process of needing to get a lawyer to get a BMW I have lemoned I guess I'm not surprised that the parent companies are simply terrible at doing the right thing swiftly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is more a refection on how poorly FCA handles a bad situation than the single sample size of one faulty unit.
That's all I'm taking away from this. Being that I'm in the process of needing to get a lawyer to get a BMW I have lemoned I guess I'm not surprised that the parent companies are simply terrible at doing the right thing swiftly.
This. 100%. And for corporate to ask a service tech to take a grinder to a new block so that O rings will seat properly…. I just can’t…. on a $55K vehicle. I mean, I love my Jeep, but if my dealer told me the proposed fix from corporate on my brand new engine involved a grinder, I’d be begging the dealer to support me in getting a goodwill buyback. And if that didn’t work, you can believe I’d be trying to exercise my lemon law rights.

When it gets to that point, that a customer is so unhappy, has a good lemon law case AND they send notice that they plan to begin a lemon law process, a lot of manufacturers will voluntarily enter in to a “good will” buyback to avoid the title and resale hassles of a “lemon law” buyback. If this is all true, and I have no reason to doubt the OP, but it IS the Internet after all, I’d be having that conversation ASAP.

Reactions: danondrums

·
Registered
93 Posts
Something does not sound right with grinding to get a O-ring to seal , usually its the opposit , you want a smooth as possible surface for a seal or O-ring .
There is lots of choices in O-ring material for sealing , Durometers from soft to hard , silicones to Viton and extreme Viton .
Grinding does not sound like a fix from a Engineer .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Different generation motor, I have 17k and counting (drove from NJ to CA and back) on my 2021 Willy's Diesel, no issues at all so to say we have to be "warned" for an issue on this one Rubicon is virtue signaling at it's finest..
I am very glad your Jeep is running well, and I would love to say I one of the very few who has had this issue but I am not. This issue has effected Rams and Jeeps of the like. This is a documented manufacturing issue that FCA needs to address. And I sincerely do hope it is a select few (few being in the thousands) and they stand behind their product. If it was not an issue they would have come to a resolution or fix way before leaving my Jeep in the service now over one month. Once again I wish you good fortunate and thank you for your support in your comments!

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
I am very glad your Jeep is running well, and I would love to say I one of the very few who has had this issue but I am not. This issue has effected Rams and Jeeps of the like. This is a documented manufacturing issue that FCA needs to address. And I sincerely do hope it is a select few (few being in the thousands) and they stand behind their product. If it was not an issue they would have come to a resolution or fix way before leaving my Jeep in the service now over one month. Once again I wish you good fortunate and thank you for your support in your comments!
Any updates?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any updates?
Jeep is still in the shop, I did have the Executive Team Customer Service reach out on Friday and is suppose to be looking into the matter. We will see if this leads better news, if not they are suppose to hand me back a Jeep on Tuesday with a band-aid repair. Leading me to trading it in, losing money, and swearing off Jeep not because I don’t love the product but because of the way this was handled. Not to mention some other Jeep enthusiast will end up with this problem child. The entire way I worked “their process” only to be sadden with the outcome. Many other customers with the exact same issue had their engines changed out and went on to enjoying their purchase. I understand things happen but this could have been resolved in 7-10 days, even the dealer and regional manager agreed it should have been changed out but FCA said NO. Why do you think they made this decision...?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jeep is still in the shop, I did have the Executive Team Customer Service reach out on Friday and is suppose to be looking into the matter. We will see if this leads better news, if not they are suppose to hand me back a Jeep on Tuesday with a band-aid repair. Leading me to trading it in, losing money, and swearing off Jeep not because I don’t love the product but because of the way this was handled. Not to mention some other Jeep enthusiast will end up with this problem child. The entire way I worked “their process” only to be sadden with the outcome. Many other customers with the exact same issue had their engines changed out and went on to enjoying their purchase. I understand things happen but this could have been resolved in 7-10 days, even the dealer and regional manager agreed it should have been changed out but FCA said NO. Why do you think they made this decision...?
What state do you live in where that is not an automatic lemon? Car in service for more than a month, third attempt to fix the same problem? This should be an easy case for a lawyer and that vehicle tagged as a lemon never to be sold again to some unsuspecting poor soul.

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
I dealt with the Chrysler Executive Team in 2012.

You are in the best possible hands at FCA.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What state do you live in where that is not an automatic lemon? Car in service for more than a month, third attempt to fix the same problem? This should be an easy case for a lawyer and that vehicle tagged as a lemon never to be sold again to some unsuspecting poor soul.
Texas, I have been consulting with an attorney and in this case we have two attempts, one more attempt and I can apply for lemon. However, as a consumer you want FCA to step up and stand behind their product make you feel like you matter. We have given them weeks and every opportunity to do the right thing. In 99.9% of cases (you can exclude the unruly and belligerent ones) you take care of your customer. I guess what I am trying to say is if I apply for lemon law I don’t ever want another Jeep and I truly don’t want that to be the case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Texas, I have been consulting with an attorney and in this case we have two attempts, one more attempt and I can apply for lemon. However, as a consumer you want FCA to step up and stand behind their product make you feel like you matter. We have given them weeks and every opportunity to do the right thing. In 99.9% of cases (you can exclude the unruly and belligerent ones) you take care of your customer. I guess what I am trying to say is if I apply for lemon law I don’t ever want another Jeep and I truly don’t want that to be the case.
I understand that completely as I'm in the same position with BMW right now. But it seems patience is not rewarded. Sad to read that FCA will drag their asses and deliver crap solutions to known problems just as BMW is doing to me right now. So frustrating.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Care to share the source that backs up this claim? ("few being in the thousands" and "proven manufacturing issue that FCA needs to address"). This is the newest generation of the Diesel that started out in the Rams and you are the very 1st person I have heard making these type of accusations, so please share the documentation that has been authored for this "known issue" with Jeep Wrangler Diesel's so we can all review. Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts