Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a 2017 2dr Willys Wrangler with the premium soft top option, $595.00. I will say it is so superior to the standard soft and the quality is much better in both fit and quietness. My question is, does anyone own a new JL with this top, it looks like it has Velcro in place of the zippers on the side and back windows and just wondering how it works for you. I'm thinking of purchasing a new JL Willys dr. and would like to hear from anyone who has this upgrade option.

trainman

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a hard top with the premium soft top on order, my understanding is that its not velcro in place of the zippers, its some sort of sliding rail setup, I haven't inspected one in person but several videos on them suggest its not velcro replacing the zippers. I can let you know when my top arrives but its on backorder, so it may be a little bit before I get it

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I asked this question is on my 2017 dr. Willys I'm pretty sure the side and rear glasses zipped in and after the glasses were zipped in there is a flap with Velcro that makes the seal complete. Not many order the Premium Soft Top on their 2ds. and dealers don't because it just adds to the cost of the vehicle another $595.00, thus making it hard to find install videos on theses tops. Like I said in the above post, these Premium Tops are well worth the money, if it's the soft top you want. Plus these tops are black inside and not white like the stock top s, thus makes the inside not so bright on the eyes.

trainman

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah i had a premium soft top on my '14 2 door, so im familiar with the JK version. I totally agree, they're worth it.

·
Super Moderator
10,607 Posts
I have a hardtop. But I’ve seen the soft top: it doesn’t use velcro any more; the side curtains slide into place.

You have to be very careful the back is secured tight, though. There have been many instances of side curtains flying off on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
I have the premium soft top on both my 2014 JKUR and 2020 JLUR. I order the Dual Top option on my Jeeps. The JK was zippers. The back window zipper could become a real issue. The JL premium soft top uses a tube/rail system on the top and tuck rails on the side and bottom like what you had on the JK on the front side edge and bottom on the JK. The back window is tube/rail on top and bottom with tuck rails on the sides. The soft top comes with hard plastic sails in the back corners that are a bit of a pain in storage but they are really cool in place and when you take them out it is so spacious. There is still a bottom steel arm that goes across the rear bottom just like the JK.

As mentioned in the post above if you run with the back window out be sure to tie the two side panels in somehow. I have considered drilling two small holes for a bungee cord.

PM me if you have other questions.

The new top is really nice BTW.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a hard top with the premium soft top on order, my understanding is that its not velcro in place of the zippers, its some sort of sliding rail setup, I haven't inspected one in person but several videos on them suggest its not velcro replacing the zippers. I can let you know when my top arrives but its on backorder, so it may be a little bit before I get it
Yeah, soft tops are a hard to get item. Had to settle for a hard top just to be able to order my 2021 Rubicon. Said I could wait, but no guarantees they'll be available any time in 2021. Can't wait to see the mark-up to have the dealer install it. :( May end up just getting a Besttop kit down the road.

·
Retired Moderator
100,458 Posts
Yeah, soft tops are a hard to get item. Had to settle for a hard top just to be able to order my 2021 Rubicon. Said I could wait, but no guarantees they'll be available any time in 2021. Can't wait to see the mark-up to have the dealer install it. :( May end up just getting a Besttop kit down the road.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: Judy33

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Wrangler Willys 2dr
60 Posts
I have a JK Willys with the premium soft top, one buddy has a JLU with the regular top and another one has a JL with the premium one. I think the mechanism to remove and install it is the same, but the premium one has the thicker fabric, it's darker (and looks better overall), and the black interior and less road noise is something worth the upgrade for me

·
Registered
45 Posts
Absolutely worth it. I have it on my 2019 2 door. There is a small Velcro patch in the corner, but the pieces all slide in. The premium looks better and is definitely quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Absolutely worth it. I have it on my 2019 2 door. There is a small Velcro patch in the corner, but the pieces all slide in. The premium looks better and is definitely quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
I personally don't like the new design at all, it is much harder to remove the top completely and I am not a fan of the slides for the side and rear windows.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
I personally don't like the new design at all, it is much harder to remove the top completely and I am not a fan of the slides for the side and rear windows.
Good point.

Well, I think the zippers are better but not in the back window. I had a real issue with the zipper in the back window. However, if you want to run with the back window out you do need to secure the hard sails on the corners or they will bounce around and may pull the side off.

I love the way the whole back clears out with all windows out.

So, there are pros and cons.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good point.

Well, I think the zippers are better but not in the back window. I had a real issue with the zipper in the back window. However, if you want to run with the back window out you do need to secure the hard sails on the corners or they will bounce around and may pull the side off.

I love the way the whole back clears out with all windows out.

So, there are pros and cons.
There were actually complaints from people losing their side windows on the highway when they had the back window out, Chrysler sent out a letter to owners describing how to secure the windows properly to prevent if from happening, guess they had to many claims.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
I just ordered a 4xe with the premium soft top and they didn’t say anything about a problem getting that top. I wonder if I should expect a long delay?
I don't think you will have a delay just be sure to secure the sides when you take the back window out. I think you will like the top. Most of the time I run mine in Sunrider mode.

·
Registered
1999 TJ 4.0 5-speed
60 Posts
I don't think you will have a delay just be sure to secure the sides when you take the back window out. I think you will like the top. Most of the time I run mine in Sunrider mode.
Do you have a recommended way to secure the sides?

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Do you have a recommended way to secure the sides?
Not yet. I have considered drilling a small hole in each hard plastic sail and then using a bungee cord across the back to secure. What I do right now is just take out all the windows when I want the back out.

·
Registered
1999 TJ 4.0 5-speed
60 Posts
Not yet. I have considered drilling a small hole in each hard plastic sail and then using a bungee cord across the back to secure. What I do right now is just take out all the windows when I want the back out.

Nice Jeep!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts