Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pls see the pic. The left side rotating switch has no detectable function. It was installed with the vehicle build.
HELP What is it and what does it do? There is nothing about it on the sticker as an option and so on. The dealer has no clue.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
NOPE. According to the OWNERS MANUAL (which you should have) the left potentiometer is for the "Mood lights" or whatever they are called (not detectable in daylight hours). They shine in the floorboards and a few other places. The right pot is for the instrument lighting and rolled all the way up it turns on the dome lights.

·
Retired Moderator
103,149 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The switch only works for certain models, it’s for ambient footwell lighting but the sports and a few other models don’t have this footwell lighting, so in reality even though you have the switch, it probably does nothing but fill a space on the dash.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Odd that they would install a non functional switch...
Money. Must be cheaper to install the switch than make/install a different trim plate. Same reason some JKUs have wiring for the sub/rear power outlet and a fuse in M7, even if the JKU has neither option.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU 3.6 Backcountry
411 Posts
Oh, looking more carefully that must be the reason, as the panel is not modular, so if they wanted to omit the dimmer they'd need to manufacture (or actually source) two different kinds of panels.

The switch panel in the lower part of JKU's center console is modular, so they can just put a blank cover in places where optional equipment are left out.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
That’s correct, had a new 2016 Willys and a built to order 2021 Willys, this does not have foot well ambient lighting. Switch basically fills the gap. My 2012 JKU had the footwell lighting, but my 2 newer 2 doors didn’t. There are other threads on the “dummy” switch. Sahara’s and Rubi’s I believe have the lighting. It’s just a low glow on the footwell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts